aliens

Author Topic: Re: Latest Nightly Not Playing FLAC?  (Read 8629 times)

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Nightly Not Playing FLAC?
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:28:17 am »
So I come back after 2 weeks (of being busy/not playing) to install latest nightly and I get some crashes. The thing is, I made no changes between then and now. First, UFO/EU had no music. So I switch to TFTD and everything's fine on that end. I do quickly notice, however, that under audio options TFTD only has "Music Format", whereas UFO/EU has that too plus "SFX Format" Was SFX an option before? I don't remember it. And if so, why doesn't TFTD also have it? Confused.

But anyway, I decide to switch back to UFO/EU and I get (pic is actually from different nightly, cuz I tried a couple different ones just to be sure):

So I go check, and SAMPLE.CAT is right where it always was (SOUND folder).

Alright, I decide to revert to a much older nightly to see if that's the problem, and (starting again from TFTD) what I immediately discover when trying to go into UFO/EU is this:

I then update back to the latest nightly and keep getting the same (above pic) crash. Notice there's also just 2 mods listed under UFO/EU, strangely enough (they haven't been deleted from the "standard" OXC folder under which they are listed, so they are clearly right where they should be).

Anyway, I figured if this was a known issue it would have already been addressed here, but it's just me by the looks of it. I honestly have no idea WTF is going on!

Should I just uninstall?

Hoping there'd be an easier/more stupid solution :P

No rush, I'm busy and won't be playing for a while, so I'll just leave this here for now.

PS: Already tried disabling all mods. Although I don't see how that'd be a problem since none of them affect MUSIC. Also, if curious, the following options (in options.cfg) are set to default:
Code: [Select]
  preferredMusic: 0
  preferredSound: 0
  preferredVideo: 0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:09:44 pm by Orz »

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Nightly Sound/Music-related Crash?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:05:23 am »
Tried latest already compiled nighty - works. Just perform a clean reinstall.

whereas UFO/EU has that too plus "SFX Format" Was SFX an option before?
Yes, you can read about.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Nightly Sound/Music-related Crash?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:33:09 am »
It might be that SAMPLE.CAT felt victim to the bit-flipping ethereal, causing it to be unreadable.

However since you also seem to miss a lot of mods that are supposed to be included with the nightly version i suspect that your current installation is broken badly.

If possible ... could you delete all current instances of OXC (after backing up important data off-course), and try a fresh install. Not only of OXC but also of the required datafiles.

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »
Alright, deleted everything and re-installed and UFO/EU became accessible once again; however, music was still not playing. So I decided to bring back the original MIDI files (cuz I only kept Sycraft's remastered OST in FLAC under the SOUND folder) and music begun to play. Figured it's something to do with FLAC format because I'm also using a remastered OST (by Thomas Hawco) for TFTD in OGG and I had no issues on that end.

So I downloaded Sycraft's OST once again but in OGG format and it worked.

My guess is something in the latest nightlies is conflicting with FLAC?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:13:43 pm by Orz »

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »
My guess is something in the latest nightlies is conflicting with FLAC?
I can confirm this. FLAC doesn't work anymore. Looks like that issue where MXE package doesn't supports FLAC without modifications.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »
I can confirm this. FLAC doesn't work anymore. Looks like that issue where MXE package doesn't supports FLAC without modifications.
Probably SupSuper updated mxe on server (IIRC try enabled backtrack for nightly) and old one had this enabled but new don't (or override old configuration).

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Latest Nightly Not Playing FLAC?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 07:22:13 pm »
Probably SupSuper updated mxe on server (IIRC try enabled backtrack for nightly) and old one had this enabled but new don't (or override old configuration).
Apparently newest MXE has SDL_Mixer FLAC disabled by default, because it doesn't work with the latest libFLAC version. I had to flail around with configs and force some downgrading.

Anyways it should be supported again from openxcom_git_master_2016_04_16_1807.zip onwards, let me know if it works.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 08:02:56 pm »
Anyways it should be supported again from openxcom_git_master_2016_04_16_1807.zip onwards, let me know if it works.
Still not work. Used syscraft soundtrack to test flac (16 bit).

Also MP3 works in weird way. After starting a game sometimes main menu plays one second and immediately stop playing track. In options current active music shows adlib when I chosen MP3. Sometimes after starting a game main menu music works perfectly. I found no way to 100% reproduce this bug, just restart a game several times. Used syscraft soundtrack to test MP3.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:04:53 pm by Xtendo-com »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
Apparently newest MXE has SDL_Mixer FLAC disabled by default, because it doesn't work with the latest libFLAC version. I had to flail around with configs and force some downgrading.

Could you post your changes as reference for others? Its bit strange because I don't remember that I need downgrade to made it work (but my mxe is couple moths old), at least nobody complains recently that FLAC don't work in extended.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 06:17:55 am »
Well that's annoying, I've enabled all the flags and stuff and it still doesn't want to work. :-\

Could you post your changes as reference for others? Its bit strange because I don't remember that I need downgrade to made it work (but my mxe is couple moths old), at least nobody complains recently that FLAC don't work in extended.
Well the MXE SDL_Mixer package explicitly disables FLAC: https://github.com/mxe/mxe/blob/master/src/sdl_mixer.mk
Are you using some other source?

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 12:44:51 pm »
Well that's annoying, I've enabled all the flags and stuff and it still doesn't want to work. :-\
Well the MXE SDL_Mixer package explicitly disables FLAC: https://github.com/mxe/mxe/blob/master/src/sdl_mixer.mk
Are you using some other source?
Yankes forked MXE in order to enable FLAC support.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:47:39 pm by Xtendo-com »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »
Yankes forked MXE in order to enable FLAC support.
At lest in couple of moth older version its work.

SupSuper if this don't work for you, I will check why it worked for me.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:01 pm »
Turned out to be a configuration issue. Now FLAC works with latest version... but crashes after one second. :P

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:58 pm »
Should we support a weird music format like FLAC, MOD and etc especially when it has problems? OGG (with Vorbis inside) works fine. MP3 works in strange way but because of its popularity support of MP3 can help to avoid lossy-to-lossy transcode. Audiophiles can transcode lossless format to lossy with an audiophile settings anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:33:03 pm by Xtendo-com »