aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238593 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #555 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »
Link would be good, although I'll rather wait till Meridian pulls this into his build. I'd appreciate that a lot, Meridian :)

I will add it today, without testing.

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/59a7e4870531019c94de5fc8b0fd6acdf919695d
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:27:41 pm by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 17, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »
Glad you trust that I coded the calculations correctly and that they don't need much testing :P

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 18, 2016, 01:47:37 am »
It would be cool if the Zeppelin had a researchable upgrade that lowered the upkeep cost, by renting out the sides to sponsors.  Might make them have random images on the sides of the zeppelin.  It would also make it more logical that people would just ignore them, I think.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 18, 2016, 01:58:57 am »
It would be cool if the Zeppelin had a researchable upgrade that lowered the upkeep cost, by renting out the sides to sponsors.  Might make them have random images on the sides of the zeppelin.  It would also make it more logical that people would just ignore them, I think.

Duff Zeppelin please; to hell with that Atom brand piss water.

niculinux

« Reply #559 on: August 18, 2016, 10:07:54 am »

Yes, but who would sponsor a bunch o'criminals? :)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 18, 2016, 10:36:22 am »
The Guild, at least.  Any of them, if they weren't aware of who they were actually funding, the Zeppelin is advertising, it's there anyway, with a advertising space for rent sign, so they may as well use it, right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #561 on: August 18, 2016, 11:08:00 am »
The Guild, at least.  Any of them, if they weren't aware of who they were actually funding, the Zeppelin is advertising, it's there anyway, with a advertising space for rent sign, so they may as well use it, right?

Why would the Guild advertise? They have the monopoly on the most important stuff. Anyone who has another source, will probably use another source. Some countries may be an exception, but there is no free market as such on Earth.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 18, 2016, 11:21:26 am »
Monopolies still need brand notoriety. Products are not stagnant unchanging things or the customer base loses interest. Some amount of advertising is needed to keep public awareness.

Alternatively it could be local government advertising.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 18, 2016, 11:23:27 am »
Why would the Guild advertise? They have the monopoly on the most important stuff. Anyone who has another source, will probably use another source. Some countries may be an exception, but there is no free market as such on Earth.

Maybe the Guild wouldn't advertise but some of the arms dealers you frequent might; would be cool if the premium they paid to advertise on your ship went up with infamy: the better and scarier you are the more people will pay to have you advertise their shit. Those bloodthirsty savages who just wrecked the Academy's shit and pillaged their hideout? Yeah, our weapons made that happen; bitches fucking love our guns: just look at their giant frickin' blimp.

"This raid brought to you by Dr. Wang's mighty missiles; when you need to spread the doom, trust in Wang's loud big boom. Proud sponsor of Gals with Guns Killmurderdeathsquad Six."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:26:56 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 18, 2016, 11:29:01 am »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #565 on: August 18, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »
Monopolies still need brand notoriety. Products are not stagnant unchanging things or the customer base loses interest. Some amount of advertising is needed to keep public awareness.

True, but not hard to pull off when you control all major mass-media. There would be a ton of local-brand advertising in all forms, though (see Fallout 1 & 2), and even the Guild will engage in various disparate and innovative advert campaigns from time to time, as it has thousands of managers who have nothing better to do & want to show off to get promoted. As for the in-game representation? Not nearly exciting enough to code it.

niculinux

« Reply #566 on: August 18, 2016, 02:57:18 pm »
0.99B just relased  ;D i forgot i wanted to point out: early game is fine as it is but i'd advice to give acces to the market not right at the beginning: that is to say "cunning" gives acces ti "contract: merchants" and then you may buy shotguns and sprayguns, but it dird nit have sence since player research hunting bows, stone axes and maces that is supposed to use forva certain period of time. By the end of jan 2601 i had acces to market, and then.mybfirst progrom was humanists with rocket launcher and lasers  :o maybe game interpret this as the player ha ing more advanced weapons? Don't know hope i express myself well.

The only thing that may be buyable at start along with the current selection at the market may be "cool clothing", and adventurer and scout armor should be separated items researchable, not avaiable from the beginning, or alternatively avaiable at ghe BM. Going to try 0.99B...[continues]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:17:55 am by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #567 on: August 18, 2016, 03:07:51 pm »
0.99B just relased  ;D i forgot i wanted to point out: early game is fine as it is but i'd advice to give acces to the market not right at the beginning: that is to say "cunning" gives acces ti "contract: merchants" and then you may buy shotguns and sprayguns, but it dird nit have sence since player research hunting bows, stone axes and maces that is supposed to use forva certain period of time. By the end of jan 2601 i had acces to market, and then.mybfirst progrom was humanists with rocket launcher and lasers  :o maybe game interpret this as the player ha ing more advanced weapons? Don't know hope i express myself well.

I think I understand what you mean, but no, the game doesn't change enemy loadouts depending on the player. In fact, there are no changes at all.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:32:03 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #568 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:59 pm »
Early market is there for a reason. You either buy on the market, or research your own stuff. The former isn't that stellar and costs money. The latter builds up slowly but ultimately allows for better stuff.
Early market is needed lore-wise as well, and it cannot be overtaken by loot from raids - if the market was later, would anyone ever consider buying a Spraygun or even Ramshackle Rifle?

Your progress is generally completely irrelevant to enemy strength. Pogroms range from very hard to extremely hard with your starting crew, and meant as a landmark (are you tough enough to face Pogroms already?).

Why should adventurer and scout be separate? I see no reason for it, since it's the same clothing, only re-arranged. Also your hired hands naturally bring it along with 'em - you hire them in Jack's Town's bars, do you expect them to prance across the world naked?

niculinux

« Reply #569 on: August 19, 2016, 01:08:26 am »
Early market is there for a reason. You either buy on the market, or research your own stuff. The former isn't that stellar and costs money. The latter builds up slowly but ultimately allows for better stuff.
Early market is needed lore-wise as well, and it cannot be overtaken by loot from raids - if the market was later, would anyone ever consider buying a Spraygun or even Ramshackle Rifle?

Your progress is generally completely irrelevant to enemy strength. Pogroms range from very hard to extremely hard with your starting crew, and meant as a landmark (are you tough enough to face Pogroms already?).

Why should adventurer and scout be separate? I see no reason for it, since it's the same clothing, only re-arranged. Also your hired hands naturally bring it along with 'em - you hire them in Jack's Town's bars, do you expect them to prance across the world naked?

Ok got. Clearly i see it's a huge incentive ti acces to more advabced stuff with research/loot, manufacturing is secondary and anyways comes later.

As for progrom(s) as still of now (0.99B) they don't seem a "labdmark" to ne because almostvakways i get the first by the end of jan 2601 (the very beginning) unless i'm missing something.

As for the starting dresses, well nudity aside :P the rags and tribal outfits are of no relevance anymore i think, since the gal roam the world on these scout/adventurer outfit, that surely are more fit in an hostile enviroments full of dangers. Don't know if rags and tribal are still worth to be kept ingame. Oh i like also the "rogue" one, but i'd renane it "bandit"; did not researched/see "chromeback", but how to have an improved version of the pirate one, named "freebooter" or "bucaneer? I' d like the first ;)

Thats all!

Edit: usual typos
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:33:24 am by niculinux »