Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238708 times)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2016, 04:37:04 am »
I don't know if this is the place for this suggestion, but, I think it would make the torches more useful if they didn't light up automatically, and had to be lit before giving off light or lighting those clubbed by them on fire.  First it would allow you to use the darkness to position yourself, if desired, and second it would allow you to bring a supply of torches just in case without having to replace them every mission.  The negative would be that you'd now have to spend time units to light it, but that's a minor problem, I think.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:56 am »
That'd require a script that swaps item (torch) into another item (lit torch) when the torch is 'primed'. Not sure if it's possible.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2016, 08:14:30 am »
What about the flashlight? Could that do the switch on or off? Would that have the same problem?

Given the ingenuity of the people behind the scenes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible, the question in my mind is if it's worth the aggravation to set up.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08:09 am »
There is a function that can do that for the flashlight but what's the point, just pocket it and the problem is solved. The same could be done for Torch, but it wouldn't stop you from setting targets on fire with an unprimed one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:17:03 am by Dioxine »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 08, 2016, 06:48:46 pm »
That'd require a script that swaps item (torch) into another item (lit torch) when the torch is 'primed'. Not sure if it's possible.
If torch is primeable then its not lit by default.
Different graphic for lit can be supped by scripts or by scripts recolors (by making fire transparent when not lit).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »
But you'll still be able to burn people with it? (It's a flare-battle type with gun melee.)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »
But you'll still be able to burn people with it? (It's a flare-battle type with gun melee.)
It will always burn people even if "turn off". When I finish new lighting system (right now I fighting with performance degradation caused by it) I will think about way of enabling and disabling weapons attacks. Another thing would be no-stopping grenade countdown even if in inventory or hand.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »
I think we all want the grenades to still stop the countdown if in hand, if you can arrange that.

niculinux

« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2016, 11:25:17 pm »
I think we all want the grenades to still stop the countdown if in hand, if you can arrange that.

Yes, but i think it may be made only with certain type, how about a smart grenade which may achuebe that?

As for shotguns, i think since the pair domestic shotgun/heavy shotgun is quite senseles , how abaout to remover the former and make the latter replace the first? 4 shotgun are quite enough :) give the tons of weapons in play.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2016, 11:35:40 pm »
cue 20+ smoke grenade explosions on first turn

->Shotguns: we have that much more than 4 shotguns: sawed-off, double-barreled, domestic, military\blackops, heavy, combat, blunderbuss + upgrade, CAWS, super shotty, smasher, splatty, plasma shotgun, boom gun...
Besides, they're quite different, though I consider both of them useless. Especially heavy, it doesn't even have chem rounds.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:41 pm »
Heavy is useful early on, so is domestic, though for a much shorter time.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 09, 2016, 01:35:42 am »
Shotguns are basically crap outside of AP rounds/slugs, and even then they're still crap because they lack range.

The entire weapon class badly needs an overhaul (like doing Stun/Stamina damage on hit regardless of armour penetration).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 09, 2016, 02:09:59 am »
TU damage would work well to support the main role of the shotgun. The pellets indeed tend to be pretty useless, but one you pass a certain threshold or change to certain damage types, they can be quite useful. Anything with chem is great, getting something that sets people on fire would be nice, and TU damage for AP would be cool. Using the super shotgun, you can do a great amount of damage in the routine clearing runs against small crafts as well.

And with single slugs, they can be great for breaching, or for urban environments.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 09, 2016, 04:27:34 am »
Honestly buckshot should probably get the secondary effects; slugs/AP don't need much help outside of their atrocious range.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #479 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:05 am »
It will always burn people even if "turn off". When I finish new lighting system (right now I fighting with performance degradation caused by it) I will think about way of enabling and disabling weapons attacks. Another thing would be no-stopping grenade countdown even if in inventory or hand.

What'd be most welcomed is an option that holds grenade's countdown ONLY if it's held in hand, not anywhere in the inventory...