aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to improve the mod  (Read 238588 times)

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to improve the mod
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2016, 10:32:08 pm »
Reduce the frequency of Supply missions so this doesn't happen: https://i.imgur.com/PCR3FYm.png

Honestly, enemy Hideouts are way more valuable to me intact than destroyed.
IRL that was the case too, attacking supply lines was always lucrative, That's why pirates IRL attacked shipping lanes, but often times not the forts.

Though IMO each base should only have like 1-3 ships visit a month per base, I normally ignore them but I think it's ok at current spawns. After all the supply ships often have nukes so if you're strong enough to beat the security why not?

Though I think a landed supply ship should have a different map, like the Siberia map because you know its a supply ship probably landing in a shipping zone of a hideout. Attacking a landed supply ship should be like a hideout attack mission.

The current supply ship map IMO should happen if you shoot it down on route to the base. Though don't think you could code it as such.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2016, 10:35:56 pm »
IRL that was the case too, attacking supply lines was always lucrative, That's why pirates IRL attacked shipping lanes, but often times not the forts.

Though IMO each base should only have like 1-3 ships visit a month per base, I normally ignore them but I think it's ok at current spawns. After all the supply ships often have nukes so if you're strong enough to beat the security why not?

Though I think a landed supply ship should have a different map, like the Siberia map because you know its a supply ship probably landing in a shipping zone of a hideout. Attacking a landed supply ship should be like a hideout attack mission.

The current supply ship map IMO should happen if you shoot it down on route to the base. Though don't think you could code it as such.

Nukes aren't a problem with indirect fire (bows/grenades) and conservative play. Between that and the map size you often won't capture the ship before the self-destruct activates if there's a lot of LoS blockers/obstruction (hell, on terrible maps/at night I sometimes deliberately wait out the clock to make my life easier), but you still get plenty of loot in terms of the gauss weaponry and parts of the ship that remain.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2016, 10:44:53 pm »
Nukes aren't a problem with indirect fire (bows/grenades) and conservative play. Between that and the map size you often won't capture the ship before the self-destruct activates if there's a lot of LoS blockers/obstruction (hell, on terrible maps/at night I sometimes deliberately wait out the clock to make my life easier), but you still get plenty of loot in terms of the gauss weaponry and parts of the ship that remain.
Easy access to Gauss from supply ships IMO is why they exist, so that when base defense comes you won't have it too hard. Though I agree using bows/nades makes it unlikely you'll get nuked.

But I don't mind losing a few gals xD, I think the current set up is fine, though more options are never a bad thing.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »
Reduce the frequency of Supply missions so this doesn't happen: https://i.imgur.com/PCR3FYm.png

I'm not sure what the problem is that you are trying to point out in the image? 

Are you frustrated that you were able to raid so many supply runs that you got so much cash?    I'd have no problem with that kind of bank roll.  The conqueror ain't cheap.

However, if it really bothers you, feel free to ignore the supply missions then.  That is what I have done for much of my current campaign.  I have two enemy bases available.  A trader base near my HQ, and a Merc base in Antarctica.  Most of the Trader supply missions have been at night, so I've freeing ignored them.  Merc Supply missions? yeah, no thanks. 

I do intend to farm the Trader base for some Guild masters, and may hit some more supply runs.  But the last supply ship I went after had the Bonny facing 6 enemy right out the door.  The only one with a Nuc was a Body Guard, looking right at me.  My knees were rubbery as I anticipated it wiping out my crew.  Fortunately I was able to coax a missed shot out of the nuke wielder with my Flappy Parrot.  Lots of smoke and some Seductresses helped with the other issues.  But generally, farming supply ships in Piratez is a far sight different than in vanilla. ;)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2016, 10:52:50 pm »
A big chunk of my cash is due to mass production of bikinis at my bases (the elaborate lingerie or whatever).

But the issue is that points and $$$ are too easy to get even on the hardest difficulty because there are so many supply missions and you can farm them safely with bows/grenades and mortars; the key to pass on the first turn if necessary, drop smoke and flares ASAP, note facings, and drop grenades on people that can retaliate against you (i.e. they're facing away, but might survive a bow hit then RF), and bows on those that cannot.

Yes you can self-handicap, but it's better that this not be abusable in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:55:00 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »
A big chunk of my cash is due to mass production of bikinis at my bases (the elaborate lingerie or whatever).

But the issue is that points and $$$ are too easy to get even on the hardest difficulty because there are so many supply missions and you can farm them safely with bows/grenades and mortars; the key to pass on the first turn if necessary, drop smoke and flares ASAP, note facings, and drop grenades on people that can retaliate against you (i.e. they're facing away, but might survive a bow hit then RF), and bows on those that cannot.

Yes you can self-handicap, but it's better that this not be abusable in the first place.
IMO it's not really that abusable, factories IRL generate income. Though having base defense missions scale with the cash generated from said base would make more sense, bigger raid group against a more lucrative factory. Of course this being a game where you profit from more fighting would lead to some people just getting heaps of plasma weapons.

Xenonauts is probably the kind of game you'd enjoy where manufacture doesn't generate income.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2016, 11:09:04 pm »
IMO it's not really that abusable, factories IRL generate income. Though having base defense missions scale with the cash generated from said base would make more sense, bigger raid group against a more lucrative factory. Of course this being a game where you profit from more fighting would lead to some people just getting heaps of plasma weapons.

Xenonauts is probably the kind of game you'd enjoy where manufacture doesn't generate income.

I'm not complaining about factories/production, I'm just noting that they are a massive contribution to my income.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2016, 11:18:55 pm »

The current supply ship map IMO should happen if you shoot it down on route to the base.

This idea is so great it makes me salivate.
It would fix so many problems!

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2016, 11:34:22 pm »
I seem to recall discussion about different maps depending on craft status at one point. It was technically unfeasible because craft maps are determined by terrain at point of landing. The only maps specific to a situation are generated missions like mansions and Siberia with specific calls for given map types. Dynamic(craft) and generated maps don't mix.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2016, 12:28:17 am »
The craft map would naturally be the same, but the terrain would be different. I mean a Supply Ship wouldn't land in the middle of nowhere, it lands on some sort of landing pads, I guess.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2016, 12:31:28 am »
I seem to recall discussion about different maps depending on craft status at one point. It was technically unfeasible because craft maps are determined by terrain at point of landing. The only maps specific to a situation are generated missions like mansions and Siberia with specific calls for given map types. Dynamic(craft) and generated maps don't mix.
Supply craft could be like terror ones and generate a map on the instance, that can be chosen for interception.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2016, 04:15:04 am »
It would be interesting maybe if the church launched retaliation missions against bases that manufacture too much Xgrog or something. Bootlegging is more fun when it's somehow illegal.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2016, 05:27:09 am »
The craft map would naturally be the same, but the terrain would be different. I mean a Supply Ship wouldn't land in the middle of nowhere, it lands on some sort of landing pads, I guess.

The problem is that if you have tie a "enemy hideout entrance" map to the supply ship, that will also be the map when you shoot down the craft in the middle of nowhere, and that makes no sense. BetaSpectre's idea of making it behave like a terror mission is cool, you can have an "offload intercept" mission. But that also has the problem that there is no craft flying off after..

The ideal solution would be to be able to define a crash map (or not define it, and leave it up to globe texture) and a landed map (which in this case would be the hideout entrance). Then maybe even tie different deployment options to the different maps, to represent some crew from the hideout coming to help unloading.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #343 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:40 am »

Meh, not even the highest score rank.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2016, 09:52:44 am »
Meh, not even the highest score rank.

I guess I'll have to farm harder then; I may need a couple of more Hideouts.