aliens

Author Topic: How to deal with Cyberdics  (Read 6697 times)

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
How to deal with Cyberdics
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:46:26 am »
I have tried muscles with hammers and axes, assault cannons, molotov cocktails, frag, he grenade and black powder bombs.

Is it supposed to be this ridiculous ?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: How to deal with Cyberdics
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:55:45 am »
Flame throwers seem to work pretty well.  If you can pick up lasers from the enemy that might work too.
HE Packs seem to be great just like in the original.
If you have exploding cannon balls, the assault cannons should be able to do some work, but may take more than one shot.
Frag, HE grenades, & molotovs are prob too weak.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Cyberdisc_(Piratez

Edit:  They basically have medium armor, and some concussive (HE) resistance.  Beside that, they just have a ton of health that takes a while to work through.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:57:41 am by ivandogovich »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:59:11 am »
Actually the solid Assault Cannon ball would be much more effective. Molotovs work too, over time. Cyberdiscs are very tough to low-power (<75) Piercing and Concussive, but even with the right tools, they take 2-4 good hits to kill. They're as one guy put it... not of this world. You can't expect them to be easily dispatched.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 02:48:05 am »
Looking at the numbers I would say mortar is your best friend.

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:04:33 am »
Looking at the numbers I would say mortar is your best friend.

My boarding team always include 2 mortars, plus if you equip your CQB and FireSupport Gals with panzerfausts you get an awesome firepower.

Every Gal should carry a PanzerFaust, you can buy them at the black market, expensive but rewarding.

Most of the times is a 1-hit-kill.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 03:07:39 am »
I'll second the use of mortars. Parotts grenade drops are handy as well cyber disks rarely go very high and have pretty big blind spots overhead due to being 4 tiles and sight checked from only the front edge.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:08:58 am »
I'm pretty sure OXC still has xcom's multi-hit functionality against 2x2 targets. Ie: you might be hitting them four times for every kaboom near them. Once for every square they take up on the battlescape.

So yes, panzerfausts are one-hit kills, even if it doesn't look like they should be some of the time. All explosives are good, even vs their higher resistance.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 03:28:57 am »
Yes, 2x2 units take quad damage from AoE attacks. With the cyberdisc the problem is, breaking through its armor to deliver that damage (and it's 32 armor with your Explosive damage reduced to 60%). Fire ignores armor but deals low damage per hit. A Cyberdisc/Tank being on fire will take 4 such hits per turn, though, they can accumulate a lot of damage over time.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 03:38:02 am »
How much is fire damage when something is actually ablaze (not just normal incendiary damage)? I've always wondered.

I never take fire extinguishers, yet regularly "accidentally" set my gals on fire. Maybe I should l start taking one along if it's a bit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:40:06 am by sambojin »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 04:08:46 am »
I would like to know what burn dmg is too. It doesn't feel impactful on the gals. But then again we have highish HP

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:06:44 am »
I would like to know what burn dmg is too. It doesn't feel impactful on the gals. But then again we have highish HP

A Gal with a FlameThrower is a fire that purifies all... pretty much explained in the bootypedia  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:09:00 am by GarlandSP »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 05:24:46 am »
Ah thanks I've never turned up that entry. 5-10 dmg range explains the lack of gal impact. Even noob gals tend to have over 40 HP and grow quite a bit. So unless your in outfit with plus % fire less threatening  then most guns and relatively uncommon.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:08:00 am »
Flamers can cause multiple hits. I just didn't know (and am not sure if it's true) that you can have multiple "set alight" statuses on an enemy. If you can, that totally explains my base defense wins.

Whoosh! Whoosh! Arrrrggghhhh! Dead next turn..... Regardless of armour, even if the incendiary damage did little. At worst, the morale hit will panic them, at best, they're toast.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:09:39 am by sambojin »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 07:16:49 am »
IF you can have multiple set alights....wow im glad chruch zelots are dumb and try to flame me at 20 tiles and just end up spraying the landscape. Ive set myself alight more often then the enemy. Usually the flamer gal shoots herself.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:01:39 am »
The fire DoT effect doesn't stack - but repeatedly applying fire to something does repeat the initial damage of the fire (which is different from the DoT, which is probably always 5-10 dmg per turn).
What does stack is the DoT damage on large creatures - since they'll be affected by all four pieces of them being on fire at the same time, alongside the aforementioned 4x* AoE damage thing.

* - in the case you hit all 4 tiles of them with an explosion, otherwise it's obviously either 1, 2 or very rarely 3x