aliens

Author Topic: Base defences  (Read 4210 times)

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Base defences
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:26:07 am »
I understand that xpiratez is meant to be a high difficulty mod.

My strategy to defend secondary bases is to build 15 missile silos, that keeps away almost anything, even worst with a grav shield...

as far as i have tested a succesful anti-aircraft defence will make the assaulting faction to keep trying to invade my base.

This causes a constant loop in which an enemy faction keeps sending ships that keep getting shot down.

isnt this too cheap for a defense strategy? how can the AI be tweaked to avoid this? for example if a ship of a certain size is shot down, then bring a larger one.

Attached one of my forward posts that is meant for scanning over the african continent while providing industries for alcohol making. this layout was enough to defeat every ship that kept coming no need for hands to defend.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Base defences
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:46:58 am »
The endless cycle had been around since the original game though rarely encountered since it was only battleships that made the attacks and getting effective base defense was an end game thing when you where so close to winning that it was nice to be able to stop fighting base defense before the final run. X-piratez with so much focused on scavenging tech i almost welcome the influx of foes, particularity with the varied size attack parties. If it where not for the thrice cursed sewer levels i would actually welcome them. Thank fucking god for parrot recon division.

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:57:51 am »
I wonder if it would be possible to generate a downed UFO mission next the base that shot it down.

Somewhat like the russian files mission that seems to be generated by some trigger programmatically.

I could help with this if someone gives me a guide on how to program this mod.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:35 am »
Dammit to hell, so they have re-introduced that bug. OXC used to be free of that constant loop. I'll see what I can do to remove that calamity (ie. talk to Meridian and Yankes :) ). It's really shameful the devs decided to add this. Also there will be a need to remove 'counts as shot down' trigger so it won't spawn any more extra crackdowns.

Also the downed cruiser you talk about is impossible to generate under current code. It'd be too much hassle anyway - and it takes full damage to defeat it with base defences (which is normally equal to blowing it to pieces), so it's kinda understandable there's nothing left.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:08 am »
Dammit to hell, so they have re-introduced that bug. OXC used to be free of that constant loop. I'll see what I can do to remove that calamity (ie. talk to Meridian and Yankes :) ). It's really shameful the devs decided to add this.

It was always like this in OXC (and yes, I checked the history to make sure I am not just guessing). They didn't re-introduce it.

I will add a global parameter in the next release to configure this.
It will be a percentage chance to "forget" or better said "abandon hopeless efforts of" attacking xcom base, example values:
0 (default) = endless loop
33 = stop trying attacking xcom base after third attempt (in average)
100 = stop after first failed attempt

Also there will be a need to remove 'counts as shot down' trigger so it won't spawn any more extra crackdowns.

This has been implemented by Warboy.
You can set for a specific mission (for example retaliation mission), that it shouldn't spawn any more retaliation.
Attribute is called "retaliationOdds", example values:
-1 (default) = follow standard algorithm
0 = don't spawn
50 = 50% chance to spawn
100 = always spawn