aliens

Author Topic: Really?!?  (Read 7581 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Really?!?
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:26:14 pm »
OK, it was on superhuman iron man mode, but anyways: I just had the most f***** up mission ever: February 15 1999, so not even two month gametime played. I just had two bases by this time, one the starting one, the second hasn't even got living quarters, yet... and 11 days to go until then. Base attack by sectoids! 12 men on the base + 1 rocket tank. The tank goes down the very first round without even giving one shot. Four guys MCed and then killed, the rest one after another. By the attackers. I lost everything, so I have a base with one general store, 11 days to go until I can hire men, 10 days until the hangar is ready, no ship, 20 days without any radar, virtually nothing else. This game is down the drain after 45 days of gametime. I'll not continue this shit of a saved game.

But one question bugs me, as it's possibly very important to know for the future. The very last man went down, taking a cyberdisk out. The guy died in the blast. I'm not 100% positive, that this was the last one, of those four f***ers that were there, as far as I could see them. It might have been one last cd or sectoid left. But I thought I'd checked that, as there were 2 cds and one sectoid left, when I had a look into the entire hangar, the last time. I killed 2 cds and one sectoid, but the last one was a little bit poor in the result.

So here's the question: What happens, when literally every unit on the map is dead, when you're on base defense? Who wins? Was I just having a bad run, as there was at least on other unit alive, or is it actually true, that you lose the entire base, even when nothing survives the attack, not even one single enemy unit?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:28:04 pm by 7Saturn »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Really?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:51 pm »
If I read the source code correctly, in the situation when everything dies, you still lose the base.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »
if there's no-one left to signal the "all-clear", the powers that be err on the side of caution and flip the self-destruct switch.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:05:51 pm »
You sound upset.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »
What else is new? :P Granted, there's no closer call, than »everything dead«. But you stopped the attacking force from destroying the base (as they don't have any troops left to do that) and still loose everything. Not just the base, also the crafts, the things in storage, the captured aliens, just everything, beside an empty base, that doesn't accommodate personal of any kind, yet. And that in month 1½. The only thing remaining is the researched items, so far. This outcome is highly unrealistic, considering there was no one left to do any harm. If  there's just one alien left, I'd be able to accept that. But this... Frustrating, to say the least.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:23 pm »
What are the odds of this happening though? 1 in a million? You should feel like you've won in a lottery man :)

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:39:41 am »
I had a very similar mission once.. except that the last remaining soldier (almost dead, with fatal wounds and all) did NOT die of the blast from the last cyberdisk :D
(If he was one or two tiles closer, he would)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:22:39 am »
highly unrealistic? i just gave you an incredibly realistic scenario to explain how that would pan out.

if everybody (aliens and humans alike) is dead, who will sound the all-clear? if there's no all-clear, how does anyone know it's safe to return?
anybody outside the base would be working under the assumption is that the base has been compromised until the "all-clear" is sounded.
if there's nobody to issue that confirmation, everyone has to continue under the assumption that the base is still compromised, and after a given time frame, standard operational procedure would dictate that it's time to assume the worst, and flip the switch.

think of literally ANY episode of stargate SG-1 where something came back through the wormhole unannounced.

the whole facility goes into lockdown, nobody in or out until someone on the inside signals the all-clear, otherwise they're going to level the cheyenne mountain complex to contain the perceived threat.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:35:18 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:05 am »
Speaking of SG-1, I always liked the Russian method more - after pumping the base full of poisonous gas, you can at least investigate what happened and salvage equipment :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »
What are the odds of this happening though? 1 in a million? You should feel like you've won in a lottery man :)
Tell this to the guy who got struck by a lightning...
think of literally ANY episode of stargate SG-1 where something came back through the wormhole unannounced.

the whole facility goes into lockdown, nobody in or out until someone on the inside signals the all-clear, otherwise they're going to level the cheyenne mountain complex to contain the perceived threat.
And this is X-Com canon? But I got another one, I'll post in a few moments...

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:46:06 am »
That is a realistic scenario if no one is left alive. The Scientists/Pilots/Engineers can give the all-clear to CFN and you keep the base. Anyway we can keep the base in this situation?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:16 am »
The base is equipt with a dead man switch. As soon as all troops fall noone is left to press the switch again and everything explodes.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »
That is a realistic scenario if no one is left alive. The Scientists/Pilots/Engineers can give the all-clear to CFN and you keep the base. Anyway we can keep the base in this situation?

I'm pretty sure it says that all non-combat personnel is evacuated before the base defense, meaning that they are not there to give any all clear. They are sent away, the doors are locked and if everybody dies, the whole place blows up. Only soldiers are present to give the all clear, if they survive.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
Even if those civvies didn't make it to the evacuation sites and subsequently survive the onslaught, i would doubt any high command would trust the word of just another person after a base was clearly overrun by hostiles. Thats why they usually have codes (to stop the countdown in movies at 1 second before detonation ;))

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 12:01:52 am »
Even if those civvies didn't make it to the evacuation sites and subsequently survive the onslaught, i would doubt any high command would trust the word of just another person after a base was clearly overrun by hostiles. Thats why they usually have codes (to stop the countdown in movies at 1 second before detonation ;))

Got it, poor non-civis, because.... How long would the evacuation of non-combat personnel take through the surface entrance that the same aliens use? Unless there's an exit through a long tunnel, I would assume the aliens, before landing, like gentlemen, wait for the buses full of civis to leave, if you're correct about everyone else safely evacuating. It would be funny if the evacuation alarms sound off every time a UFO'd get in small radar range.