aliens

Author Topic: Features: Show chance to hitting and the throw trajectory  (Read 50575 times)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Features: Show chance to hitting and the throw trajectory
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2014, 07:33:38 pm »
The preview also makes the assumption that the explosive will hit the target tile, but misses happen. IMO the game already gives enough information with the smoke and tile damage : After a few explosions, you get the right feeling for the "danger zone". I don't think I've ever counted tiles.

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2014, 01:38:03 am »
It should be a mod instead of being implemented in 1.0.

Offline Shodanbot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2014, 03:42:57 am »
I already told what would be better. By having affected tiles recolored, probably even with colors, meaning damage amount (there's already explosion map calculated during explosion itself, and it could be use to visualize).

That's the only constructive thing you've put in that post. Could have done without the rest.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 09:22:51 pm »
I think that we need a simple thin red ellipse that draws over all tiles and shows you an approximate blast radius (not tile by tile accurate) for every weapon. It's anyway better than feelings of danger zone.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2016, 10:17:23 am »
I think that we need a simple thin red ellipse that draws over all tiles and shows you an approximate blast radius (not tile by tile accurate) for every weapon. It's anyway better than feelings of danger zone.
@Xtendo: I like your design for this feature. Looks good and fits in with the "feel" of the game. This is a pretty old thread so I assume it's not getting in the Nightlies at this point, but I would support it.

I'm pretty strict about not re-loading when bad things happen to my troops, but I will sometimes reload to "test" a blast radius before I commit to using it. I'm not always good at visualizing the "danger zone" in my mind so it's easier to shoot and re-load if I it turns out I was in the blast radius and I kill myself (then I just move slightly out of it and re-shoot). This feature would allow me to know without doing that.

Maybe when I'm a "vet" I'll be stricter, but right now this is one of the ways I "cheat". I don't consider it that cheaty though because hypothetically I could look up each weapon's radius and count tiles anyway, but that's very tedious so I just test and re-load.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:19:10 am by Countdown »

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:45 am »
This is a pretty old thread
Yes, but feature is already implemented, works without a lot of rewriting and looks interesting for me. I simplified a code without checking would you hit an enemy by explosion, draws circle over all objects ("smart" circle draw below objects will require a lot of reworking of drawing objects) and changed a code to show blast radius for every weapon, not only for things that you can prime.

I'm pretty strict about not re-loading when bad things happen to my troops,
I also like playing in roguelike style with permanent fails if bad thing happens.

I could look up each weapon's radius and count tiles anyway, but that's very tedious so I just test and re-load.
Later I found that we need count also a damage. You can define a crazy radius in ruleset but with low damage it's not possible to damage everything in blast radius. So low damage reduces a blast radius and huge red circle will confuse you at that case. I added another yellow circle. In a screenshot I'm trying to throw a grenade. Red circle shows max blast radius without counting damage. Yellow circle shows efficient blast radius taking into a consideration a damage. Everything in red circle are less likely that somebody will receive damage.