Author Topic: NewbieTacticsForNewbie - Capturing your first alien!  (Read 4610 times)

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
NewbieTacticsForNewbie - Capturing your first alien!
« on: March 06, 2016, 01:10:48 am »
Requirement: Alien containment, Stunrods.
Make sure all soldiers who can carry a stun rod do so. Best first capture if you want it easy on a Small or Medium scout ufo. One that landed if possible. Once the map is all clear stack up near the doors of the ufo. Of course send a scout in and out to make sure no aliens will pop out the door and go postal on your guys. It is easier done on a medium scout from my experience since you can go in from two sides. From there its simple. End turn, Rush in and stun them. (If they face your soldier you might wanna hide inside or use your second squad on the other side. Usually, floaters and sectoids gets knocked out with one hit. But make sure you can approach with a second guy just in case or you will lose a soldier in a most useless way.

There is no real strategy from there as capturing them alive is always risky but needed. If you are lucky you might like me catch a Navigator, Engineer and a Medic on the same ufo. (Im using final mod pack so you might not get some of those depending on wich mods you use.)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: NewbieTacticsForNewbie - Capturing your first alien!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:48:33 am »
Don't fire useless rookies, its a waste of money, send them as scouts, close fighterd and most important - GLORIOUS STUNROD DUTY!

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
I don't believe in useless rookies.

One of my recruits named Dashing Lance (Piratez) was abysmal at almost everything. Now she's one of the best and most reliable crew members.

Invest in interns! :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:01 pm »
From there its simple. End turn, Rush in and stun them.
I'd add one thing : On beginning of turn, pick one soldier who will not participate in the assault. Have him run close to a UFO wall, and use the motion tracker. Since he's the only one of your units who has moved, the only "blips" will be aliens.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:08:54 am »
NewbieTacticsForNewbie - How to kill half your squad in 2 turns Capturing your first alien!

Offline Arek_PL

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
I have other tactic, in openxcom stun rod reaction fires too, when attacking bigger ship with 1 tile wide doors (supply ship, abductor, harvester and large scout) place 2 soldiers with stun rods on sides of each door, when any alien try to exit (they commonly do it from turn 6 in my experience) they will be stunned (probaly, sometimes they shoot first).
Its super effective against floaters and snakeman, if you drop all your explosives and weapons on ground you can try this on sectoids too.

this tactic is more risky with muttons because they have more hp so they need more stun damage but there is not too much reasons to stun them anyway

and ethereals are pain to fight but if you have to caputre them for any other reasons than selling live aliens or completing all ufopedia entries and maybe getting alien weapons (if you turn on destroying of alien artifacts on user death) you probaly did something wrong

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »
if you drop all your explosives and weapons on ground you can try this on sectoids too.

Can you please explain this? I can't see how worn equipment makes you worse at reactions.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:20:25 pm »
Can you please explain this? I can't see how worn equipment makes you worse at reactions.
I think he's saying so you don't get MCed and blow yourselves up.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:24:22 pm »
I think he's saying so you don't get MCed and blow yourselves up.

Ah, I see. But with Sectoids? That's just paranoia! :)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »
True, but this is the newbie thread. ;)