Author Topic: Place Savegames to the game folder  (Read 5877 times)

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Place Savegames to the game folder
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:35:26 pm »
Maybe it possible to make option to choose folder for savegames?
Just because of my disc C - it's SSD and it's have a limited (as i heard) write cycles.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Place Savegames to the game folder
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »
You know, OS has way more I/O-operations to disk C than just one game. But OpenXcom offers you additional option - IRONMAN™ mode! With this mode write operations will be fewer as possible!

But seriously, openxcom has option --user, which can redefine user's home to another folder.

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »
You know, OS has way more I/O-operations to disk C than just one game. But OpenXcom offers you additional option - IRONMAN™ mode! With this mode write operations will be fewer as possible!

But seriously, openxcom has option --user, which can redefine user's home to another folder.
I know that OS always write-read something to disc C :)
Don't know about command-line options...

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:09 pm »
Just because of my disc C - it's SSD and it's have a limited (as i heard) write cycles.
that's why my user folder is on my D drive.

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:15:52 pm »
that's why my user folder is on my D drive.
OK, but how about simple option to choose any folder or game folder?

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:04:49 pm »
You shouldn't worry about small things like openxcom saves, those are popcorn writes to your SSD.

Now, something like making an SSD your photoshop scratch drive - that'll wear it down

pretty damn efficiently.

And even then, this thing should keep on rocking in the free world for quite some time.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:21:45 pm »
OK, but how about simple option to choose any folder or game folder?
winterheart already mentioned the option. Just change your game shortcut so that it runs
"c:\somewhere\openxcom\openxcom.exe -user D:\openxcom\user -config  D:\openxcom\config"
Then every file written by the game will be in D:\openxcom

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 08:10:11 am »
winterheart already mentioned the option. Just change your game shortcut so that it runs
"c:\somewhere\openxcom\openxcom.exe -user D:\openxcom\user -config  D:\openxcom\config"
Then every file written by the game will be in D:\openxcom
OK, but it's look like hidden options :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 03:12:53 pm »
OK, but it's look like hidden options :)

I think you might find many many answers to the numerous questions you have asked at the OpenXcom Ufopaedia page.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/OpenXcom

There's even a thing called: "Hidden Features" 
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Hidden_Features_(OpenXcom)

Enjoy!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 03:24:29 pm »
Note that be default, openxcom writes in your user account's "application data" folder. If you haven't moved it already out of the SSD drive, a lot of programs are going to write on the SSD, much more than OpenXcom.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 04:53:10 pm »
And considering the actual life time named by the manufacturers, I doubt, this will ever be an issue. I really don't hold back on using my ssd. And after a little bit more than a year, I could extrapolate the life time of my ssd to 40 years. Then I'd probably reach the limit of writing cycles. That's fine with me. =) It's far more likely, that one will replace an SSD due to lack of capacity, than to actual errors from worn out cells (as in old age). If the SSD, for some reason, fails earlier, it's more like to be a »normal« manufacture flaw. And aside from that: You will never know in advance, when a harddrive or ssd will fail. It simply happens. So make backups. =) And don't care about writing cycles.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 08:41:12 pm »
I still don't understand why your OXC has to be installed on C: drive. :)

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 09:28:18 am »
And considering the actual life time named by the manufacturers, I doubt, this will ever be an issue. I really don't hold back on using my ssd. And after a little bit more than a year, I could extrapolate the life time of my ssd to 40 years. Then I'd probably reach the limit of writing cycles. That's fine with me. =) It's far more likely, that one will replace an SSD due to lack of capacity, than to actual errors from worn out cells (as in old age). If the SSD, for some reason, fails earlier, it's more like to be a »normal« manufacture flaw. And aside from that: You will never know in advance, when a harddrive or ssd will fail. It simply happens. So make backups. =) And don't care about writing cycles.
For me it's like an old habit from DOS games, when every savegame where in the game folder.
And UFO Defense runned on 386SX-20, 4 mb RAM, 85 mb HDD with ISA SCSI controller and monocrome-green VGA monitor :) Night missions was fearsome because you cannot see aliens in the dark of night and in the dark of monitor ^_^