Author Topic: How do I edit the save file to increase my current funds?  (Read 16321 times)

Offline Moon_Dew

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
How do I edit the save file to increase my current funds?
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:38:14 am »
I'm wanting to edit the save file so that I can increase my current funds (not funding, but the funds I've earned and have yet to spend).  I know where the save file is, but I'm still not sure as how to go about it.  Could someone help me out here?

Before anyone says anything, yes, I know the answer's probably in ufopedia, but that site's down right now, with no sign of coming back up any time soon.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How do I edit the save file to increase my current funds?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:27:52 am »
So you want us to help you cheat?  ;)

If you go into the save file and use CTRL+F to search for "funds" it will give you a list of numbers. The bottom one is your current cash. I've edited the file when I've done dumb things like buy 30 scientists when I  meant to buy 30 engineers.

As far as UFOPaedia, I don't even know if something like that would be in there. UFOPaedia is more for XCOM in general rather than Open XCOM specifically. There is an Open XCOM section with a helpful guide to the rulesets, but I don't know how thoroughly other things are covered.

While UFOPaedia is down you can use the internet archive to look up basically anything there. Not 100% up to date, but most of the information is unchanging since the game is from 1994: https://web.archive.org/web/20160225145259https:///www.https://ufopaedia.org/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:30:38 am by Countdown3 »

Offline Gyuudon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Requesting invincible squaddies... unlimited money.... Why even play this mod?

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:42:38 pm »
My best guess is that this is to learn the contents of the mod (even though playing it blind is part of the fun) now that ufopaedia is kill.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:10:54 am »
Download Notepad+ and open the save file. I am not going to tell you more than that.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »
You don't need to download anything. OpenXCom saves are ascii files and can be read in any text editor (WordPad or notepad should work fine in Windows)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:33 pm »
I doubt they are ASCII, as they contain soldier/base/ship names.
It would be safer to use an editor which won't change the existing encoding, and a real editor like Notepad++ can be configured for the TAB key to produce a number of spaces.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 07:24:46 pm »
I've never had issues opening them in the default text editors I have and remember editing stuff on my windows computer sometimes (although that was rulesets Ithink). Notepad++ is better, sure, but I doubt it is required, especially for something as simple as this. Anyhow.. try and see.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:08:54 pm »
^I recommended Notepad++ because he is less likely to make an error. Well as long as he selects YAML code and looks out for red.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 12:32:38 am »
Weird, I always screw up when editing with Notepad++ because it tries to do stuff without asking me. :P Mostly "fixing" the number of spaces even though I did it by hand. In short, I hate the bastard and stick to the simpler EditPad.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 01:44:48 am »
The save files all hold the funding data, I forget the exact word but with notepad or notepad+ you can find a number that's the same as your current funds and edit it.

I liked to do this for the original X-Com cause a clandestine last line of defense against an alien menace only getting what some businesses get in funding just didn't make much sense to me.

Sometimes I would play the originals without ever using armor or advanced weapons just to show that the basic gear isn't that underpowered haha.