Author Topic: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST/QOL] Alien Interrogations  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION/REQUEST/QOL] Alien Interrogations
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:09:44 pm »
When a particular alien rank runs out of getOneFrees to unlock, the "view report" button will bring up nothing (for obvious reasons). So the suggestion/request is simple: pop up a window similar to the "not enough ammo for HWP" saying something along the lines of: "no further information can be gathered/obtained from interrogating this particular alien rank or soldiers/navigators/whichever rank applies" (as a way of saying "don't bother milking these dudes for intel anymore, you've exhausted their brains, go fetch different ranks now").

It'd also make the game more user friendly (especially for new players).

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST/QOL] Alien Interrogations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
Alternatively, you could write a bunch of fluff information pieces that you could get from aliens after all the useful information has been exhausted. So we finally find what alien entertainment actually does.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:02 pm »
Or we go a different route. There is a certain level of danger in interrogating a live alien. Imagine getting this message:

"The muton engineer you were researching broke loose and killed one scientist. Soldiers had to be called in to put it down; no vital information was obtained."

Or while I'm brainstorming, researching an alien could potentially generate a base defense mission.

"Muton engineer escapes, kills one scientist and frees all alien prisoners. Round them up before they kill everyone in the base."

Then you have a normal base defense mission except the aliens can be anywhere in the base (and will include whatever you had in containment, Chryssalids, Ethereals and all) and you need to take them alive if you still want to be able to research them. They stole weapons from your general stores (so too bad if your one blaster launcher is missing) and their aggression is jacked up to the max because they are angry.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:17:36 pm by Countdown3 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:12 pm »
The first improvement I'd like to see for this message is to display WTF the research topic is that just was completed. I find it incredibly annoying not to know.

Also I'm pretty sure OXC prevents you from researching aliens that don't have anything to say, so if you got that, you just got something but it isn't telling you what (one reason why Meridian implemented a highlight of unread research topics in his branch of OXCE).

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:41 pm »
The first improvement I'd like to see for this message is to display WTF the research topic is that just was completed. I find it incredibly annoying not to know.

This too, definitely. I believe I had brought that up in another suggestion/request a while ago.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:53:37 am »
The only situation this can happen (getting nothing) is when you que an alien/item for research, forget about it and meanwhile get all available topics from other sources. If an alien has no new info, it doesn't appear on the research menu.
However, 'info' is new research topics. If a research topic has no Pedia entry, you can interrogate someone and seemingly get nothing out of it.