Author Topic: Why no HD tune of XCom ?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Arcticblue

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Why no HD tune of XCom ?
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:33 pm »
I'm a huge fan of the original X-Com Enemy unknown (Yes I call it that, thats the name on my Amiga game), I got this great game while I had my Amiga, and it was one of the games I really really sat and played and continued to play even when I had finnished it.

When I got my PC I continued to play this game but on a Amiga emulator, however once Steam released it on their network I bought that and continued to play.
Infact I play it still on my computer !!! hehe

I was so excited whent hey announced a reboot or new X-Com game and it did look promising to they dumbed it down.... they took away so much stuff I loved about the game, I loved for example where you take with you 14 men out on a terrorsite and by luck manage to save 5 after some Chryssalis have done off with your men.
Building new bases to cover the earth was great too, the research tree and getting better weapons to fight them more.

In my view there really was no need to change much ... exept for one thing... the graphics.

So after being so disapointed by the new X-com game (no I did not even bother to buy it.... ) I have been hoping atleast someone would HD-Tune the original game.

I know of Xenonauts and all that (yes I bought that game) but I did not find it all that good, I did not get that good feeling I get when I play the original game.

I also bought these UFO games (Aftermath, AfterShock and one more I don't remember name of) I actually liked those... would have loved to see the original game with that graphic...

Anyone know if there is hope for a HD Tuning of the original game ?

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Why no HD tune of XCom ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:17:58 pm »
Have you tried the PS1 music for X-com? Xcom2 is also an amazing game, by the way. As an Xcom fan I truly feel you are missing out by ignoring it.

I think they knew with the reboot that it had to make certain sacrifices to remain current with the generation. While I love the originals and the reboot to death, I can admit there are plenty of people who would enjoy the original.

Offline Arcticblue

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53:24 am »
I would not touch the reboot with a pole even, they took away the things I liked about the original, and I did follow the development and during that they did change from what could have been a worth reboot to what it became today ... with all the sacrifice they had to do.

I loved the original game, the changes they did where too much for my taste...

Just downloaded (bought from GoG) UFO Aftermath, UFO Afterlight and the third one ... and Xenonauts...

I doubt there even will come any good reboot of the original game.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:41:55 am »
I still play long war, never planning to return towards vanilla. Maybe I enjoy it because I try not to seek a HD remake of the original game, but instead play it as a totally different game that happen to look like xcom.

Firaxis XCOM is closer to being a remake of a tabletop game that never existed, like a variant of Necromunda, it gives me the of moving a mini behind a 4+ cover and checking for line of sight against a particular alien and not have the artillery dices sent my rocket far away from the target. It's a good feeling as long as you keep both games separated in mind.

Otherwise, it's hard to ask for an exact HD copy of a game. That would be crazy for a dev team to copy/paste a game for months of dev time without adding anything to it. I'd guess that if you want xcom, play xcom. :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:47:30 am by Boltgun »

Offline Arcticblue

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:10 pm »
True .. I understand that a direct HD tune of the game would be out of the question, I still would love that they took the original game, and keep it ... the way I see they did with the remake was to change it too much... dumb it down, maybe to accomodate for multiple platforms, but from what I understand they did at start actually make it look and feel very much like the original game but later dumbed it down.

This weekend I tried the new game from Wargaming.net "Master of Orion" and yes I know it is not a new game but a remake.. but this company actually took a already great game (well I loved MoO 2 tough) and managed to keep the aspects of the game we loved and made a pretty cool and good game.
They understood that to not work against the fans of the original game.