Author Topic: Perks for high rank soldiers  (Read 3748 times)

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Perks for high rank soldiers
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:27 am »
Hi, how about some bonus for high rank soldiers? Because i didn't see any reason to level-up soldiers.
Maybe something like XCOM2 passive perks or maybe Fallout 2 parks.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
Re: Perks for high rank soldiers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:55 pm »
Rank is partly based on abilities so it's a consequence and not the source of power.

And it already has an important perk. It reduce morale loss, making rookies more reliable.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:39 pm »
Yeah XCom is a military organization so authority does not (neccesarily) equal ass-kicking. As for the morale effects, yeah, the morale loss reduction is noticeable but only fielding the Commander helps with this in a major way (AFAIR Commander reduces morale loss by 50% while Colonel - only by 25%, but I might have gotten the numbers wrong).

Perks are always fun but the basic mechanics (plus armor mechanics, plus weapon mechanics) are already very comprehensive. Perks would have to be really well thought-of else they'd either OP or boring.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »
Is it just me thinking this or are promotions actually a bad thing in a way? You have a great soldier and he kicks ass in the field, but then a handful of missions later he's moved through the ranks to colonel and you really can't use him aggressively because if he dies that will be a huge morale loss. Or at least that's what I read on UFOPaedia ... I don't know from experience since in my limited playing time I haven't lost a colonel. My commander/colonels just sit at the back of the ship and do MC or a lot of nothing.

Offline NotCIAAgent

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »
Luckily the number of high ranking (valuable) officers is limited. The number of super soldiers is not.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
Tying stat increases somewhat to Promotion might be a bad idea, considering.

I think that nuXcom-like abilities would have to be done in more subtle ways. NuXcom is too arcadey and table-top ish, while UFO Defense is more simulationist.

We already have the help with Morale that officers give.
I think perks and abilities would have to be more subtle, things tied to ability to command, lead and inspire example. Say, make a unit stop panicking, execute mind-controlled unit for X turns of no M.C, Imperial Guard style, +x% reaction chance, small increase on carry weight ("wimp soldiers? Not in my fireteam, soldier! You WILL carry that Rocket Launcher and four large rockets!"), etc.