aliens

Author Topic: x-com bases with sizes other than 6x6?  (Read 15275 times)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: x-com bases with sizes other than 6x6?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:36 pm »
Any time this topic comes up, I remember this . It had so much potential. That plus ruleset support to restrict base number and size would give us everything needed for any 2D base craziness. I personally like the 2D bases better than 3D (easier to see it all at once and digging wider should be easier than deeper), with the one exception of having a surface layer (where aliens can spawn anywhere) and an underground one (where they are restricted to one entry point).

So, according to this discussion,  options to mod number of bases and size of bases do not exists, because modders and players couldn't handle the freedom?  :o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:14:10 pm by Zharkov »

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »
So, according to this discussion,  options to mod number of bases and size of bases do not exists, because modders and players couldn't handle the freedom?  :o
No one was interested enough to implement that feature and then fix bugs you can introduce later. For me that is a big change since you can easily explode entire game to desktop with hard to diagnose bugs.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:46 pm »
Well, it is a big change but the guy did say that he would stick around and debug it. Now he's not around anymore.. but we still have his branch, I think, and maybe other programmers who would be interested in implementing it.

I think he just came up with his suggestion too early in the openxcom project, when there wasn't many active forks of the master (like oxce and oxce+ and now xtendo's oxce+adv) and people were mostly concerned with getting a remake of the original rat her than all the total conversions we see.

Nowadays, I think we can find a fork where it would fit, if someone wants to take it on.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
No one was interested enough to implement that feature and then fix bugs you can introduce later. For me that is a big change since you can easily explode entire game to desktop with hard to diagnose bugs.

Well, it is a big change but the guy did say that he would stick around and debug it. Now he's not around anymore.. but we still have his branch, I think, and maybe other programmers who would be interested in implementing it.

I think he just came up with his suggestion too early in the openxcom project, when there wasn't many active forks of the master (like oxce and oxce+ and now xtendo's oxce+adv) and people were mostly concerned with getting a remake of the original rat her than all the total conversions we see.

Nowadays, I think we can find a fork where it would fit, if someone wants to take it on.

Okay, thanks to you both, I do understand know what happend then.

For some reason, I thought it was already implemented...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »
It was implemented in FenyƑ's fork of the code, yes, which might still be on GitHub. It was not integrated in the OpenXCom master code, or any other fork that I know of. It did work at the time but I don't know if it still would work, since the code has changed a lot.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:18 pm »
For some reason, I thought it was already implemented...
Yes, but not with latest nightly, not a ruleset and not tested enough. I mostly wounder about geoscape to battlescape translation with different size of x-com base. I don't know if currently code is flexible enough to use different size or it was hardly intended to use default vanilla size, so different size may introduce invisible for a first time bugs.
For example, when I enabled manual abandoned experiment like manual control of civilians, I introduced different bugs like no morale losses for civilian, you can open inventory and put a gun that looks weird for civilian, no TU and energy restoration for manual controlled civilian after a turn, you can't save civilian by aborting mission even when he stands on exit zone, civilian can restore a morale when alien kills your soldier and etc. Just because it was not intended to use initially like that way.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:56 pm »
when I enabled manual abandoned experiment like manual control of civilians, I introduced different bugs like no morale losses for civilian, you can open inventory and put a gun that looks weird for civilian
Ooh, I wondered why had taken care about this. In fact vanilla Openxcom already lets you MC civilians, so I didn't double-check for possible bugs when you control them.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:17 pm »
Ooh, I wondered why had taken care about this. In fact vanilla Openxcom already lets you MC civilians, so I didn't double-check for possible bugs when you control them.
Mostly because you don't care about civilians. Also because you can't do anything but stun civilian like brainless animal. That looks too silly for me. I found your code and it was an inspiration for some experiments that should make civilians less useless.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:10 am »
Code aside, vanilla civilians have simplified spritesheets, so they can't hold anything properly. But it's easily remedied by making/adapting full sprites; Hobbes and Dioxine both made such civilians.