Author Topic: TFTD suggestion. Make stuff from Ufo enemy unknown available in TFTD.  (Read 10271 times)

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
I have been thinking about this for a really long time. At least ten years. But I am not a modder.

All the stuff you have in the first game should be available in the second game.
I know that the weapons doesnt work under the water. But they work in the terror missions.

I have read the canon of the games and I know that elerium 115 was in short suppy after the first war.
But there should be tons of crashed ufos at the bottom of the sea. So elerium could be salvaged.

I think that it would be totally awesome if some could make maps with crashed ufo:s at the bottom of the sea. Maybe the aliens or MIBS in TFTD wants to stop xcom from gaining elerium.

Another idea i have is Zrbite and elerium combo weapons and stuff like that.

What do you think. Am I crasy, or is it a good idea

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: TFTD suggestion. Make stuff from Ufo enemy unknown available in TFTD.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Makes sense, but I'd stick with the 'elerium is gone' notion. Still, however, you have things like Barracuda - no Elerium but obviously an insanely powerful tech, likely based on refinement of Alien Alloys and other non-elerium techs. So X-Com should be definitely able to field at least lasers, if not some toned-down Plasma weapons (although Apocalypse suggests that humans weren't really interested in advancing non-Elerium plasma tech). Hell, Gauss is said to be such a elerium-less plasma-based technology (and it sadly sucks).

Combining elerium and zrbite makes little sense IMO, both are basically power sources so it makes little difference which one you're using in the end, all is in how the energy is being transported from one object (source) to another (projectile). Zrbite seems to be superior, though, as it can be manufactured (by the aliens at least) while Elerium quite definitely cannot.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 05:41:10 pm »
AFAIK you can't restrict a weapon only to land. Which is a pity.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
Makes sense, but I'd stick with the 'elerium is gone' notion. Still, however, you have things like Barracuda - no Elerium but obviously an insanely powerful tech, likely based on refinement of Alien Alloys and other non-elerium techs. So X-Com should be definitely able to field at least lasers, if not some toned-down Plasma weapons (although Apocalypse suggests that humans weren't really interested in advancing non-Elerium plasma tech). Hell, Gauss is said to be such a elerium-less plasma-based technology (and it sadly sucks).

It would be awesome if you had an small arsenal( leftovers from the previous war) of old weapons from xcom1 to unleach on land. Lasers, plasma, rocket launchers and so on.

Gauss technology is like the poor mans plasma, but works underwater. If you had elerium, you could make elerium clips to the gauss weapons producing more powerful shots.

Another use for elerium could be torpedos, explosives and so on.
I agree that zrbite seems more powerful, but if you put elerium in the game you could have weapons powered between gauss and sonic weaponry.

AFAIK you can't restrict a weapon only to land. Which is a pity.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are you sure you cant restrict weapons to land? Certain weapons like the Hydro-Jet Cannon and the
Torpedo Launcher are restricted to water only.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 02:25:01 am »
Are you sure you cant restrict weapons to land? Certain weapons like the Hydro-Jet Cannon and the
Torpedo Launcher are restricted to water only.

Yes, but you can't do it the other way around. AFAIK Meridian is working on that, hopefully; may the gods of random bless him.

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:20 am »
Yes, but you can't do it the other way around. AFAIK Meridian is working on that, hopefully; may the gods of random bless him.

Is hard to do a mod like this? I am thinking about giving it a try myself

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:06:01 am »

You can't "mod" it, it requires new code.

No idea if it's hard. Probably not really, but I can't provide any details.

Offline psyHoTik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:02 pm »
Search OXC files at GitHub for "isWaterOnly" string. This will give you a clue where and how the code handles the "underwaterness". Probably you would have to add another flag for land only weapons and similar routines to check it. The question is how the code would react if such check is called for some weapon which doesn't have this parameter defined. Wouldn't it cause a crash?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 11:27:53 pm »
If you code it properly, the game would handle it the same as for a weapon which has no value set for "isWaterOnly": the default value is false (it is not land only) and keep going.

More interesting would be to change the code to handle things more like movement types of armor:

Type 0: only walks
Type 1: only slides
Type 2: flies everywhere
Type 3: "flies" in water (for TftD mag ion armor)
Type 4: flies only in air (I think?)

The idea of having flags for everything is a bit tedious. You'd get isWaterOnly, isLandOnly, isSpaceOnly, isVolcanoOnly, etc. and that doesn't allow you to have something that works on land and in space but not underwater (since it is neither Land or Space only).

I think OXCE is coming up with a functionality for multiple environments. Or at least it was discussed at some point.

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 04:35:55 pm »
I am very new at this and consider myself as a noob.

How do you make the game know that one mod is for TFTD, and the other mod is for ufo.

Since I am new at this I decided to start out in a small way. I figured it was a  good idea to take one weapon from UFo and make it work in TFTD. So I took the sniper rifle from the sniper mod.
But I am at a loss. I dont know how how to make the sniper mod work in TFTD
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:46:29 pm by necrodude »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
You define which game a mod is for in the metadata.yml file on the "master" line by writing either "ufo" or "tftd".

You will also need to change the images since tftd uses different colors.

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:08:50 pm »
Thank you I will try that.

Edit:

Ok The sniper rifle now works in TFTD. But the colours are messed upp. Everything is red
I have tried to use this paletteconverter

https://falkooxc.pythonanywhere.com/palconvert#

But still it doesent work. I Used from "Ufo Battlescape" to "tftd depth0"

Any suggestions. Have I completely missunderstood this?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:07:22 pm by necrodude »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:40:26 am »
You're probably using the palette converter wrong. Once you apply the conversion, does the sniper rifle look any different?

You are using the right palettes, UFO battlescape and tftd-depth0, but did you reassign any color?

You need to pick colors on the right and apply them in the middle, lined up with the colors you want to replace on the left.

Offline necrodude

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 08:42:16 am »
Im sorry, but dont follow. I am using this
https://falkooxc.pythonanywhere.com/palconvert#

Where can I pick colours?
I can choose different pallets with the option "from" and "to"
Then there is options for uploading my own custom pallets,, and the option to fix color bugs and so on.

I cant see where where I choose to pick colours?

Should I use the mixcolour setting?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:25:27 pm by necrodude »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 08:36:38 pm »
You can't just switch palettes, as that won't change anything to the way it looks in game. The palettes are not direct matches. What you need to do is go in the palette converter, add a new transform (top right). Then using UFO-Battlescape as the starting palette, and tftd-depth0 as the final one, you fill up the one in the middle.

For example, if you want greys from UFO to also look grey in TFTD, you pick the grey line in the right (tftd) palette, and line it up in the middle (conversion) palette with the grey line in the left (UFO) palette, as I did in the screenshot. This assigns the TFTD grey colors to the pixels which previously had UFO grey colors.