aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom git/universal patch/mod instructions  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Antan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
OpenXcom git/universal patch/mod instructions
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »
First let me say I love everyone who has made openxcom possible. I just found this site yesterday and is everything I have fantasized about changing and doing to the old x-com. Now for the rant/problem.

I can get openxcom to play just fine as used from the windows installer. Moding though is beyond confusing. I have read numerous posts and followed countless directions and readme's. Nothing works. I understand something like this takes a lot of labor and time but why put all that time in and make something like the moding so difficult? I am no computer dummy but I am also pretty novice at things such as this to. I can build a computer but this is baffling me to no end.

I want to play the final_mod_pak. I followed the directions to get the git but it gets terribly confusing from there. I have moved and copied all kinds of things around and nothing works. Can someone provide me with very clear dummy proof, current directions on how to install the latest git step by step, the universal patch, and then how to mod openxcom with final_mod_pak please!?

I apologize if I offended anyone but the directions for this are not clear and confusing for the novice.

I am running windows 7.

thank you,
Michael

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom git/universal patch/mod instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:03:57 am »
step 1: delete your old openxcom installation.
  step 1a: if you have a folder named "data" in c:\Users\YourNameHere\My Documents\OpenXcom\, delete it.
step 2: unzip the latest nightly somewhere. (c:\games\openxcom\ for example)
step 3: copy your original xcom data into the ufo folder you just extracted. (c:\games\openxcom\ufo\)
step 4: apply the universal patch in the ufo folder. (as above)
step 5: run the game to verify everything is working. this will also set up your saved game folders, mod folder, and your config file.
step 6: mods can now be installed by extracting them to your user folder (c:\Users\YourNameHere\My Documents\OpenXcom\mods\)
step 7: to enable a mod after installation, run OpenXcom, go to the options menu, navigate to the "Mods" tab, scroll down until you see the name of the mod, and click to activate it.

Offline Antan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom git/universal patch/mod instructions
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:42:59 am »
I figured it out. The folder called XCOM in my steam folder had all the data the game was looking for. I moved that entire folder contents to the UFO folder. This seems to have fixed the problem. I am no programmer but I guess the instructions need to be updated to explain this step or a line of code to look in that folder for the data info. If I have more issues I will post. I reread the wiki and I see the part about not just copying the entire folder but even then it is kind of unclear what to do exactly. I am glad I figured it out and I appreciate all the help.

Antan

Now for mods... crosses fingers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:42:52 pm by Antan »