Author Topic: Is there a way to play without a save abusing?  (Read 11429 times)

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Is there a way to play without a save abusing?
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:09:58 am »
I want to remember the old days... but I don't like saves and I want to complete a game without saves. It really is breathtaking and more interesting. But this game forces me to save every time because the game is really tough even in easy difficulty without saves. Your soldiers dies with just one shoot without a way to revive. If your soldiers dies every time, you can't complete the game with just rookies and you also have a large financial losses. Is there a mods that introduce a clinical death mechanics, so you has a chance to revive a soldier? Or any other useful mods for my purposes?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:36:59 am by 404_user_not_found »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to play without saving?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:26:09 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

If your soldier dies, you can always recruit a new one... just in case you thought there are only the 8 starting soldiers.

Anyway, the mods usually just add new stuff to the game (weapons, craft, enemies, factions, missions, terrains, etc.) or try to make the game harder... because for an experienced player (i.e. one who played the game at least 3 times), the game is already too easy.

If you want, I can make a mod, which makes your soldiers invulnerable... should take about 10 minutes... but I strongly suggest to play the game as it was intended to be played.
Many people play the game with autosave only, and have no problems even on Superhuman difficulty... just look around on YouTube or Twitch, you'll find plenty of examples.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to play without saving?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:30:40 am »
You can also look into Ironman mode which disables saving except when exiting a game. Nifty option to crank up the pressure.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to play without a save abusing?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:36:24 am »
Many people play the game with autosave only, and have no problems even on Superhuman difficulty... just look around on YouTube or Twitch, you'll find plenty of examples.
Good to know! I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning of the game.

You can also look into Ironman mode which disables saving except when exiting a game. Nifty option to crank up the pressure.
Yes, I aware of this. I mean possibility to play the game without a save abusing. I changed a name of subject to save abusing.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:51:20 am »
If you don't want to save-scum then what about just not saving and reloading if you get a bad deal? As far as I know, there's no Sectoid holding a gun to your head forcing you to reload saves if you do poorly.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:02 pm »
Yes, I aware of this. I mean possibility to play the game without a save abusing. I changed a name of subject to save abusing.

There is also an option for "Save Scumming"  on/off.  If you set it to "off" save scumming doesn't really work.  The random number seed stays the same, so after reload, you will get the same sequence of results that you had before, thus missing the same shots etc.

Personally, I keep save scumming on, as well as auto save, because I want to be able to recover from crashes.  These can happen, especially as you explore mod, or surf the edge of the nightlies.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
What about "Pact with the Devil" mode? Each time you load due to non-crash reasons, you sacrifice (sack) a soldier of Sargeant rank or higher :)

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:05:13 am »
If you don't want to save-scum then what about just not saving and reloading if you get a bad deal?
Already playing in this style, switched to Superhuman + Ironman difficulty combined with epic metal music :)

There is also an option for "Save Scumming"  on/off.  If you set it to "off" save scumming doesn't really work.  The random number seed stays the same, so after reload, you will get the same sequence of results that you had before, thus missing the same shots etc.
But you can turn differently.

What about "Pact with the Devil" mode? Each time you load due to non-crash reasons, you sacrifice (sack) a soldier of Sargeant rank or higher :)
I really want to have an option "survivable soldiers". If healthy soldiers with high morale receive a decent amount of damage that should kill him, instead he loses consciousness and you have a some turns in order to recover him from clinical death. Soldier with low morale or heavy wounded soldier can be killed instantly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:20:19 am by 404_user_not_found »

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:00:35 am »
That's actually a quite good idea, sort of a alternate way to have more durable soldiers in a mod without buffing armor or nerfing weapon power.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 08:36:47 am »
Your soldiers dies with just one shoot without a way to revive. If your soldiers dies every time, you can't complete the game with just rookies and you also have a large financial losses.
I have 41 casualties by May and I am doing very well, thanks.

And sure you can complete the game with just rookies - if they're high-roll rookies, they're already half-decent soldiers.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:31:15 am »
And sure you can complete the game with just rookies
Yes, you can complete the game with just rookies. Just use smoke grenades if you don't want to lose your soldiers quickly until you meet... The Chryssalid - really a big pain in %your_favorite_word_here%. Without jetpacks I didn't found a way how to deal with them with rookies that has a low reactions. I just used a lame and boring method - see screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:35:49 am by 404_user_not_found »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
I really want to have an option "survivable soldiers". If healthy soldiers with high morale receive a decent amount of damage that should kill him, instead he loses consciousness and you have a some turns in order to recover him from clinical death. Soldier with low morale or heavy wounded soldier can be killed instantly.

That's exactly how it worked in UFO: Extraterrestrials, and you know, in practice it sucked. It sucked some meaning from the game. To prove it's not only my point of view, dying soldiers were one of the first features modded into the game.

Of course we can have some middle ground, like a percentage chance for a "dead" soldier to recover. (It was also possible in modded UFO: Extraterrestrials.)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »
Or simply boost hp and stun damage from all weapons (require Extended for that). Then you will have lot of "kills" that don't kill your unit.
If you get blast from point blank (if you add reduction of bullet power based on range) then you will probably don't have any thing to pickup after solder and he will be dead for good.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 06:01:35 pm »
That's exactly how it worked in UFO: Extraterrestrials, and you know, in practice it sucked.
It sucked in UFO: Extraterrestrials. But I don't agree that is a bad idea to implement that as user decide feature in openxcom like others non-vanilla options. Combined with hardcore mods, SuperHuman+Ironman your soldiers can fight in battlefield longer before they may die completely. Also this will make medikits more usable. That is not a panacea anyway. Recovered soldier anyway is heavy wounded and don't have any chance to survive a second critical damage. They has a penalty in accuracy. Also soldier with low morale will instantly die without a chance. Your soldier should be healthy and has a high morale in order to survive a critical damage. Also you should wait months to recover your soldier in hospital.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:51 pm »
You need dead rookies, brevs. They're what keeps the Random Number God amused by your antics. Stop spilling blood and soon you will find yourself struck by Disaster Dominoes. Besides, I never waste men - the average rookie who charges at aliens with a stun prod is a equal to any hero of legend, and his death is much lamented.

(when a captured alien's usefulness runs out, they drag him above the tomb of a dead rookie, and there he gets vivisected slowly)

I don't get those people who are totally anal about casualties. Soldiers bellow Seargent rank don't have human rights anyway, except if the X-COM Commander declares you a freako super-soldier rookie.