Author Topic: Why so Hard?  (Read 17260 times)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
Re: Why so Hard?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 03:40:48 am »
A 42 damage weapon is a very bad representation of
((50*(50+1d100 - 1) / 100) - 34) + ((40*(50+1d100 - 1) / 100) - 34) + ((40*(50+1d100 - 1) / 100) - 34) + ((40*(50+1d100 - 1) / 100) - 34))

You have a 75% chance of it going down in 5 grenades or less.
Surviving five turns and lobbing grenades onto cyberdiscs is a very comfortable solution to the problem when you consider that you're outgunned to high hell.

And that's implying you don't feed some of them HE-packs at some point instead of using a grenade.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:42:26 am by Bloax »

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 06:18:09 am »
A 42 damage weapon is a very bad representation of
Yeah, well, I just didn't want to post 6 screenshots instead using respectively 50 damage, 45 damage and 40 damage to show approximate spread.
Guess I have to now.

It changes quite drastically for higher level cyberdisc while still being pretty hard at 45-50 damage.

...[I could implement a "4-tile mode" just for that though]

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:50 am »
Well either way I'm not seeing what the whole "DON'T EVEN TRY HAHA" fuss is.

It is perfectly viable (grenades have a low weight and low cost) and certainly a lot less dependent on people that can actually shoot.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
Unless the discs fly. (default explosion height 0)

Offline psyHoTik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 05:17:03 pm »
Unless the discs fly. (default explosion height 0)
Large rockets are you friends :) And since item limit no longer apply (unless you turn it on but it's you decision then) you can use them with no restrictions. Just have one soldier standing in Skyranger at the Pile o'Guns and throwing rockets to launcher operators below. Remember that reloading a weapon always costs 15 TUs, so it doesn't matter if you load rocket from the ground or from backpack. Launchers have high accuracy so making aimed shots from afar, out of 'disc sight range, typically do the trick. Don't forget about smoke screen.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:21:31 pm by psyHoTik »

Offline Savior20061

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:03 pm »
I had 6 cyberdisc corpses after the sectoid terror mission I did in March of my little first-time play. :-)

Oh, and cyberdiscs only have 34 armor (everywhere) and 120 hp, so enough grenades should wear them down if you aren't hilariously unprepared both in crew and equipment departments.

On a landed terror ship (infiltration), I encountered six cyberdiscs. It pissed me off. I was using rocket tanks and lasers by that point. The rocket tanks don't exactly shred discs, but they do well. My heavy lasers were sometimes able to one shot them. I was only playing on Veteran level though.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 05:27:33 pm »
On a landed terror ship (infiltration), I encountered six cyberdiscs. It pissed me off. I was using rocket tanks and lasers by that point. The rocket tanks don't exactly shred discs, but they do well. My heavy lasers were sometimes able to one shot them. I was only playing on Veteran level though.

On Superhuman they have Armor 38.
Also who cares about 6 vanilla Cyberdiscs. Piece of cake.
If you want it really hard, play Hardmode Expansion in Superhuman.
That would make that up to 15 Cyberdiscs, if you are extremly unlucky :P
Or let Sectoids be joined by some Sectopods and some Mutons, to complete your Terrormissions fuckup :)

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:54 pm »

Offline g5-freemen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 10:35:09 pm »
On Superhuman they have Armor 38.
Also who cares about 6 vanilla Cyberdiscs. Piece of cake.
If you want it really hard, play Hardmode Expansion in Superhuman.
That would make that up to 15 Cyberdiscs, if you are extremly unlucky :P
Or let Sectoids be joined by some Sectopods and some Mutons, to complete your Terrormissions fuckup :)
Cheat Engine - is the best friend in that situation. And Nobody, Never and Ever will fuckup you :)

Offline Snow

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
I'm going to add to this. I've had a bit of experience now so far, but what's funny is after restarting the game.. I easily end up with all my soldiers dead in the very first mission. Naded to Hell with alien nades and sectoids with seemingly infinite time units and high reaction. In one round I watched as one sectoid killed several soldiers in just one turn.. after I fired at it only once. Another time I had 2 groups flank a UFO, a nade flies out of the darkness and blows up one unit. Four more aliens inside the ship come out and blast/nade the second group to oblivion.

What's strange is in my last game - where I was half way into the first year, I was easily picking off sectoids and stronger aliens - even with soldiers not wearing armor. I actually attacked a fallen UFO with a full crew of un-armored soldiers by mistake.. I forgot to give them armor. Easily took out tons of aliens with nades - no shots fired.. except at my soldiers.. most of which missed and those that hit.. didn't kill them (as far as I remember anyway).

I wonder if the AI get's dumber for the first types of aliens you encounter as you continue to fight stronger ones?

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 06:39:21 am »
Snow
Use smoke grenade. It's very useful thing. Significantly increases survivability.

I easily end up with all my soldiers dead in the very first mission.
Remember my first attempts...

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 07:30:08 pm »
I'm going to add to this. I've had a bit of experience now so far, but what's funny is after restarting the game.. I easily end up with all my soldiers dead in the very first mission. Naded to Hell with alien nades and sectoids with seemingly infinite time units and high reaction. In one round I watched as one sectoid killed several soldiers in just one turn.. after I fired at it only once. Another time I had 2 groups flank a UFO, a nade flies out of the darkness and blows up one unit. Four more aliens inside the ship come out and blast/nade the second group to oblivion.

You probably tank for too long. Aliens gain full knowledge of where your soldiers are at Turn 20 therefore you can expect a grenade to the face even from an alien who never even saw you.

Offline Arek_PL

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:36 am »
actualy begginer is not that hard, until turn 20 but if you rush for personal armor and medkit alien grenades should be surviveable

on begginer grenades and rifles is more than enought to take down cyberdisc

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:43 am »
I've played a couple tactical games and to be honest, the first X-Com seems to be the easiest. TFTD is significantly harder, mostly due to anal design of maps and in general using every trick in the book to impair the player but not aliens.
The hardest? Silent Storm series, hands down.
Jagged Alliance 2 isn't a walk in the park either, but still not quite as bad on average.

Offline Snow

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 12:29:15 am »
Snow
Use smoke grenade. It's very useful thing. Significantly increases survivability.

I'm going to start doing so. I was avoiding smoke grenades for awhile and just attacking brute force - like yesterday.. I had no choice. Aliens were terrorizing Madrid. The skyranger lands with the doors open to 2 floaters and one reaper within eyesight. Stepping off the ramp, 2 more floaters to the left and in a small park, 2 more reapers. Luckily all were bad shots. Tossed nades everywhere, bit my tongue and survived. Took em all out. A floater goes through a door and opens in on one of my unsuspecting soldiers. I fire at it from all sides killing it. I move South to find the rest of the aliens with my unit nicely spread out. Two floaters open fire from windows of 2nd floors in 2 buildings. Two more appear along with reapers who seemed to suddenly show up. One got too close. Killed it with fire and nades. Entered the buildings and luckily the floaters missed most of their shots.. stunned 3 of them. I lost 3 soldiers. It was a tense battle, especially for just the 2nd (aliens terrorizing) ground mission since I restarted the game.

You probably tank for too long. Aliens gain full knowledge of where your soldiers are at Turn 20 therefore you can expect a grenade to the face even from an alien who never even saw you.

Yea, I've experienced this a few times. Sometimes, you land so far from the UFO that it takes multiple turns to finally get in close quarter combat. The little bastards favor staying inside the ship and ambushing you. But the joke's on them, because it's stun city :D.