Author Topic: Xenonauts 2 announced  (Read 3488 times)

Offline nullzero

• Sergeant
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Social links
Xenonauts 2 announced
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:02 am »

Riding on the XCOM2 launch wave, Xenonauts developers just announced on Steam that they're working on a sequel

Quote from: Xenonauts@Steam
We have now officially confirmed we are working on Xenonauts 2, and we're currently hoping for a 2017 release for the game!

The full statement and some basic details on the sequel can be read here (with more to follow in the next couple of months): https://www.xenonauts2.com

Thanks to everyone that has supported us by buying the first game - the experience we've gained making it and the feedback received from the community should allow us to create something even better second time around!

It seems they will build it with Unity3D this time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Xenonauts 2 announced
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:32 pm »
Interesting. Xenonauts was a decent game, its greatest misfortune being the release of OpenXCom. ;)

Xenonauts 2 certainly has potential.

Offline sh4dow

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:02 pm »
While I have not played OpenXCom yet, are you sure it was really direct competition for Xenonauts? Just look at XCOM:EU, which did incredibly well even though at least IMO it was total crap, while I found Xenonauts to be very enjoyable. Played through that one twice, the second playthrough on hardest difficulty.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:26 pm »
While I have not played OpenXCom yet, are you sure it was really direct competition for Xenonauts? Just look at XCOM:EU, which did incredibly well even though at least IMO it was total crap, while I found Xenonauts to be very enjoyable. Played through that one twice, the second playthrough on hardest difficulty.

Hard to say if it is a competition, I'm not a marketing guru. But it certainly was competition to me.

Both games play very similar, both have their strong points. I love Xenonauts for the air battles, for example. But X-Com (and OpenXCom by extension) has better core tactical mechanic - both in terms of "stat rolls" and approach to mapmaking - which I consider the most important thing. Plus it is way more cleverly written, which is crucial for modding (for example Xenonauts has separate sprites for each weapon/armour/gender combination, which makes adding new stuff practically impossible).

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:14 am »
no, we are not in competition. for one thing, we're not sales-driven. secondly, we're remaking the original, xenonauts is following the "spiritual successor" route. in those senses we've both achieved what we set out to, completely separately and independent of each other. we're modernizing xcom, they're a modern game, heavily inspired by xcom. these are very different design philosophies. i'll admit there's a lot of crossover in the target demographic, but we're both fundamentally different games in all but inspiration and theme.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:50:04 am by Warboy1982 »