Author Topic: New website design  (Read 37328 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: New website design
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
Awesome , the Mod site has a linnk on the main page, brings a tear to my eyes ;)

Also , I think the Forums should be under "NETWORK"

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 02:49:52 am »
Also , I think the Forums should be under "NETWORK"
I agree.

Offline Kyzrati

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X@COM - The X-COM RL
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 03:53:40 am »
EDIT: also, while it's certainly nice to support X@Com, someone should update the news so that the front page is showing something of openxcom instead... because seeing the roguelike like that, people can't really see what openxcom looks like. imagine somebody new opening the page for the first time, and all he sees is the roguelike screenshots - he'll just go "what the h***?" and leave again. (unless he's into roguelike games).
I was thinking this EXACT same thing not long ago. Thanks for the plug michal, but I'm really hoping you guys post some OpenXCom stuff, *anything*, and soon. (OpenXCom just doesn't have enough frequent news!)

TT and FreeSynd are not good examples. Dense background al over the place make it feel like it's one of first graphics web sites ever (I remember feeling of how I used netscape 2.0). In functionality sence, those FAKE time buttons makes quite a disturbance. I think it will be better without them.
The FreeSynd reference was only with regard to the button appearance discussion. That site design as a whole is poorly done for sure, and certainly the buttons on OXC would *do* something--that was another point of the discussion about the time buttons...

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 05:57:31 am »
Forums link has been restored. I would've put it in the menu but current website theme doesn't support it.

I was thinking this EXACT same thing not long ago. Thanks for the plug michal, but I'm really hoping you guys post some OpenXCom stuff, *anything*, and soon. (OpenXCom just doesn't have enough frequent news!)
I'll be sure to post something, don't worry. :P It was easier back when every new screen was an achievement, now it's mostly just code code code...

The FreeSynd reference was only with regard to the button appearance discussion. That site design as a whole is poorly done for sure, and certainly the buttons on OXC would *do* something--that was another point of the discussion about the time buttons...
I think the key to backgrounded websites is to not let it bleed into the content and affect readability. FreeSynd has that problem since it's following the game too closely, but TT Forums avoid that since all the actual content is kept in solid-color boxes. I tried to avoid that problem in the new design too, the background doesn't affect the content and it's very muted to not distract.

Anyways I've got the gist of the complaints. Seems people are 50:50 on the game-like concept, some want none of it and others want even more! So I'll just keep playing around with this one and see where it goes, it might look better once it's actually filled with content. ;)
Nobody likes the time buttons so I'll get rid of them, they did let you play around with the timer but I guess that's too distracting.

Offline Kyzrati

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X@COM - The X-COM RL
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:19 am »
I'll be sure to post something, don't worry. :P It was easier back when every new screen was an achievement, now it's mostly just code code code...
Totally understand what you mean there. It's even tougher when you're recreating a game that everyone's already seen before...

Just yesterday I was paging back through my own blog history, thinking about the fact that I used to post twice as often, or even more, than I do now, mostly because back then there were all kinds of new things appearing that were quick and easy to implement--now I can spend a whole month working on one or two big systems...

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 09:50:36 am »
SupSuper, perhaps a very small post about the "New Game" screen and the "New Battle" screen ? This is a feature not in the original game, which is always interesting.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 03:31:21 am »
SupSuper, perhaps a very small post about the "New Game" screen and the "New Battle" screen ? This is a feature not in the original game, which is always interesting.
I'm saving that for a video update. ;) But I'll put up a quick post about what I'm working on now.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:42:17 am »
nice :) now I feel safer about posting the link to our site in other forums... :)

Offline Kyzrati

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X@COM - The X-COM RL
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:08 am »
Me too ;D

I'm waiting for the video so I can Reddit it--Make it good! ;)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:22 am »
Where's the 'Git builds' link?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »
Where's the 'Git builds' link?
Downloads page. Yes I realize by now I might as well just reduce the site to two pages, Git and Forum. :P

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »
Yes I realize by now I might as well just reduce the site to two pages, Git and Forum. :P
+1 on that.

Well... Maybe not, but you could make three HUGE buttons on the right side of the header, and that would be forums, download latest (nightly) build and download latest stable build. I think that that are the three most used links on the website.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »
I would love to put them up on top with the menu, but the current theme doesn't support custom menus, so I can't do it without hacking around the page code, and if I'm gonna do that I might as well work on the new design instead.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »
Downloads page. Yes I realize by now I might as well just reduce the site to two pages, Git and Forum. :P
Damn. I must have been really tired when I looked at the 'Downloads' page.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 07:22:04 am »
I love the OP picture! I hope it gets done, I wanna see it soon.

Can you show us a preview soon?