Author Topic: Cyber city  (Read 4249 times)

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Cyber city
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:38:35 am »
Hello everyone this is my first post but expect many more in the future. I am currently playing a new campaign on superhuman
and limiting my soldiers to human equipment only, not even lasers or armor of any kind. So I get to my first terror mission
and this is what is there to greet my troops. Never seen that many Cyberdisks on a mission before, but decided to give it go.
The first 2 soldiers had high explosives and they set off some nice chain reactions. 6 soldiers dead before I stepped off the
Skyranger. 3 more soldiers got killed stepping off the craft, there were 3 more sectoids to the right. That makes 13 enemy
units right beside the Skyranger. The mind raping then started as I hunted down the straglers and lost all but one soldier.
His name is Greasy.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Cyber city
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:08:28 am »
Welcome to X-com! If I see any shattered pieces of someone's ass, I'll be sure to ship them to you. Have you tried any of the mods yet?

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:34:02 am »
Yes quite a few,  just finished a final mod pack playthrough

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:06 pm »
WOW!!! to OP  ;D :D ::) :P

I've played thousands of hours (including back in the days of original UFO enemy unknown, and never ever seen this.
I normally also use a grenadier in front row, albeit that close range cyberdisk exploding after death would be problematic here, particulary since my grenadier is usually loaded with half-a-dozen high explosives.

In this case I would have probably resorted running my granadier out of skyranger as suicide bomber. (hopefully he can get as far away from skyranger before reaction fire  :P)

...what unlucky start :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:59:39 pm by Zyzyfer »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:52:12 pm »
I've played thousands of hours (including back in the days of original UFO enemy unknown, and never ever seen this.
And I think, you never will see something like this in vanilla X-COM. That's a specialty of OpenXcom... It's called Superhuman, right? =)
I normally use a grenadier in front row (who is maxed out with primed high explosives). He gets two throws (if he hasn't moved), would have wiped all that out  :).  I sometimes feel high explosive is exploit as it make game so much easier- there have been countless times where my grenadier has pulled me out of a hole.
How are things, when one of the aliens kills your nice grenadier?
If you're not already doing it, I'd suggest utilising grenades (particularly the alien grenades once researched), give them to each scout (but don't prime them in case scout dies). Grenades are useful to flush out aliens when you get one of those hilly terrain with lots of trees maps where line of fire is usually difficult.
This is why everyone of my men has his own grenade, not pre primed.
When clearing buildings I prefer high explosive + large rockets to level the building. This often means lots of collateral damage in terror missions but minimises loses to xcom operatives.
And your points for the mission and the stuff you will carry home. Sure, it's an easy way to ensure, nobody will get killed of your men. But I really don't want to imagine what happens, when your nice grenadier is being shot, while surrounded by comrades, e. g. in Skyranger.

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 01:57:50 pm »

Alien grenades are great, bur on this playthrough I am only going to use human tech. The memorial screen is going to be huge.

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:12:26 pm »
Alien grenades are great, bur on this playthrough I am only going to use human tech. The memorial screen is going to be huge.
human grenades/explosive do the job just fine (if you use high explosive mod its actually a bit too easy- lately I've been leaving it off).
The heavy cannon/machine gun (i am using mods), and rocket launcher with large rockets/incendiaries for some of the terror creatures are must also (but you already know that). I actually think the man-made weapons are not too shabby
Albeit I don't like using TFTD damage ruleset (the one with 50%-150 damage), instead I use defense/enemy unknown ruleset where the weapons do 0-200%. Some of the terror creatures are nearly impossible to kill with TFTD damage ruleset.

Also once you can afford use x1 tank for scouting (you don't necessary have to deploy its guns), but at least you can build up some elite troops before loosing them and a tank can be replaced.

ps. look at the bright side, Greasy should now be eligible to receive the 'Star of Valor' for being only survivor.  ;)

And your points for the mission and the stuff you will carry home. Sure, it's an easy way to ensure, nobody will get killed of your men. But I really don't want to imagine what happens, when your nice grenadier is being shot, while surrounded by comrades, e. g. in Skyranger.
Yeah i usually score poorly in terror mission -200 to about 300 on average. But I try to keep it above 0.

I don't think I ever had the grenadier shot in the skyranger. I have always seemed to manage to eliminate any aliens visible from skyranger, then deploy smoke grenade. Move out on turn 2 amid smoke. My scouts (all have +55 in reaction), aliens also tend to move after 1st turn so this reduces any potential reaction fire. My grenadier is usually second/sometimes third to step of skyranger.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:42:53 pm by Zyzyfer »