aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Add Crafts on base defence mission  (Read 5639 times)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Add Crafts on base defence mission
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:55:14 pm »
I found into BB Toolpack,
https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/5342-bbs-toolkit/
that modder Bomb Bloke customized hangar maps
by merge hangar maps  to  four part of standard xcom craft.

Today, we have a lot of crafts and this
choice required a lot of efforts.

Farther there is the issue that a craft could be outside base during the alien attacks.

After battlescape terrain generations,
the  algorithm  ::)
could be check a setting that enable the new features (default no),
when a map exists for current present craft,
it has to put current craft on "center" of hangar maps,
(actually just add to the first hangar maps an offset dependent on the size of the craft map)

It is a challenge for Warboy  :-X

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:59:52 pm by davide »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Add Crafts on base defence mission
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »
And what's the purpose?
Pure visual pleasure? If yes, I vote -1 ... there's already not enough spawn points for aliens, no need to give them even less...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:25 pm »
It's more than just visual pleasure; it's immersion. More precisely, accuracy of description of game world, as well as (in my opinion) game logic. Or that it never felt right to, among other things, not have them in battle yet losing them anyway if the base falls.

The original game couldn't do this, because of how little MCDs it could handle at once. Now we can have this, so why not?

Yes, lack of nodes can be a problem. But still, it's now possible (again) to add many more nodes than in the classic game, so it's an easily fixable problem.

Is it a high priority request? No, but I still think it'd be pretty awesome to have. (As well as your Engineers and Scientists running around the base like civilians. Heh heh.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »
ugh.. it looks cool but I much prefer pre-fight evacuation of crafts and non-combat personnel. You can assume that the aliens caught up with them after winning the battle and destroyed them in case you lose, or that you stopped them at the base in case you win.

Civilian AI is a pain that's only manageable because they are only worth points. If hundreds of scientists and engineers wandered about in the base getting in the way of shots and choking every hallway until blaster bombs took 'em out, that would make base defenses an even worst pain than they are.

Unless the attack is a total surprise like Pearl Harbour, you do always launch all boats/plane and before fighting on the ground occurs. Maybe as a "% chance of happening if the attack was undetected" thing to screw you over even more some times, with the side benefit that if the attack was detected (or if the % roll was successful), you find all your crafts hovering next to the base even after losing it (= looking for survivors), and all scientists/engineers in transit to other bases (regardless of available accommodation). Also, if you cancel the base defence mission, your soldiers go with the civilians and are added to transit (or to their assigned craft) if successful.

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:44:31 am »
it looks cool but I much prefer pre-fight evacuation of crafts and non-combat personnel.

This. I'm all in for purely aesthetic patches, but in this I'd rather have empty hangars. Plus, it'd be a hell of a lot of easier to also implement for TFTD where no matter what craft you have (e.g. HAMMERHEAD) it'll always show as a TRITON. And that, right there, is kinda hard to unsee! At least UFO/EU has empty hangars instead of SKYRANGERS where there should be LIGHTNINGS :P

PS: TFTD does have empty hangar maps if you don't have any craft in them, so it would be a matter of using those instead.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:19 pm »
Well, if the aliens shot them down with 100% accuracy, then maybe launching them wasn't such a swell idea? :P

As for the representation, of course it would require making new maps for fighter craft. But it's not a huge task for modders.

(The Engineers and Scientists part was mostly a joke on my part, I agree. Though I would like to actually try this out, once.)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »
Well, if the aliens shot them down with 100% accuracy, then maybe launching them wasn't such a swell idea? :P
uh? I was actually suggesting a mechanic in which they escape 100% of the time (provided they do scramble, which happens if UFO was spotted and/or with a % chance otherwise).

(The Engineers and Scientists part was mostly a joke on my part, I agree. Though I would like to actually try this out, once.)

That's the key word, right? as in only once ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »
Well you can normally send everything to other bases prior to assault anyway, so... The only reason people don't do this is cutting costs (you need reserve, empty facilities in other bases) and their time (why worry if we're going to win anyway?).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:53:58 pm »
uh? I was actually suggesting a mechanic in which they escape 100% of the time (provided they do scramble, which happens if UFO was spotted and/or with a % chance otherwise).

Uh... Oh... Eh... Sorry.

Well you can normally send everything to other bases prior to assault anyway, so...

I wouldn't be so sure, my last few base defences were all surprise attacks. :)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:38 am »
Sounds like a fun reason to have destructible craft so people can't simply bomb their hangars

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk