aliens

Author Topic: [DONE] New experience award system / accuracy training system  (Read 15591 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE] New experience award system / accuracy training system
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 10:48:53 pm »
Shoot gun exp work that you can grain max 1 point in each exp type per shoot. But each hit can grain this exp point. In case of 100% chance then effective first hit matter, but if you have 2% per hit then every hit matter as they effective "sum up" to max 1 exp.

code that implement this is simple calculate max before hit, then hits happens and each one try add exp, after all shoots hits, result exp is cap by value calculated before hits.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • OXCE developer
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 10:49:13 pm »
Yes, it was changed in July 2017 in OpenXcom: https://github.com/OpenXcom/OpenXcom/commit/dea958d1cf8f119ca85dcd04c200bff58cdb2cb4
and a bit later in OXCE too

All pellets count, but together they can give you only one experience point (per skill).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • OXCE developer
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 10:49:43 pm »
ninjad by Yankes by 5 seconds... figures :)

Offline spectrefps

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 03:53:46 am »
OH wow thanks both of you!! (I'm excited to get not just 1 but TWO devs to reply to me! :D) Ok so shotguns sound pretty forgiving to train rookies (or just absolute pants shooters) even if most of the scatter misses their mark, as long as any pellet manages to successfully hit the enemy (which I figure is the main saving grace of shotguns vs rifles/cannons?).

Good to know, and this info gives me a good reason to not just slap rifles or cannons on everyone! XD Typically I'd always just use 'normal' single-hit guns on everyone whenever possible (my idea being "Kill FAST = safer mission"), and thus while playing throu X-COM Files I was wary of the shotgun weapons until recently (especially since armor would affect EACH pellet, if I understood ufopedia's damage/armor page correctly :O). But their wide spread and many "hits" per attack should prove handy for my troops that aren't "ready" for bigger guns yet (for fear of decimating their comrades with friendly fire XD). I think shotguns may start to grow on me! :D

Also I like the idea of an inexperienced trooper still being able to contribute by catching a sectoid with a lucky scattershot, when they'd miss or be useless otherwise with a normal rifle. Even if they can't really hurt anything with armor, they can still rough up the little greys for the rest of the team to finish.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:23:57 pm by spectrefps »

Offline spectrefps

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 10:33:39 pm »
Heya! Got 2 more questions:

1: If I understand the first post correctly, incendiary damage *does* give XP now? I remember learning a while back (from the UFOpedia site! :D) that fire damage was "weird" in original x-com, both in how it did damage, and how it handled XP. Apparently, it only gave xp for *reaction* shots that hit, but not "normal" hits... So you've managed to change it to work like "normal" weapon hits too then (giving xp for normal shots that hit, not just reaction fire)? If so, THAT IS AWESOME! That xp-weirdness in the original seemed like another (small) disadvantage to using that ammo/damage, so I feel that fixing that bug/issue helps bring it more in line with other damage/ammo types (plus no more missing out on xp for issuing fire-ammo to troopers! Alien roasting time! >:D).

2: For incendiary-damage, does the*power* value actually affect the "direct-hit power" of the shot/ammo now (with the latest OXCE) or is it still like original x-com (where "power" only changed the *radius* for incendiary, according to the Ufopedia site)? It seemed kind of odd when a big cannon shot did so little "hitting damage" with incendiary (5-10 for a direct-hit, if I understood it correctly?). I'd imagine even getting hit by just a big rock of that size/speed would do more damage (and flatten that cursed sectoid! :P).