Author Topic: Major update of yaml-cpp  (Read 5412 times)

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Major update of yaml-cpp
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:07 am »
Today developer of yaml-cpp merged changes that significantly changed working with library (https://github.com/jbeder/yaml-cpp/commit/24fa1b33805c9a91df0f32c46c28e314dd7ad96f). Since then yaml-cpp not require anymore boost library, but require C++11 features. So, linking openxcom with future versions of yaml-cpp will require C++11 compiler too.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Major update of yaml-cpp
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:51:17 am »
0.5.3 is last release that not require C++11 (https://github.com/jbeder/yaml-cpp/releases/tag/release-0.5.3)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:05:48 am »
I doubt it will pose an issue, as most people will use yaml-cpp pre-packaged.

Good to see a new yaml-cpp release though. :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:56 pm »
I doubt it will pose an issue, as most people will use yaml-cpp pre-packaged.

Good to see a new yaml-cpp release though. :)

Depends. That is certainly true for Windows users.
Compiling a git build maybe a issue, eventually on Linux.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »
? Sorry if I missed something obvious, but where do you find a pre-packaged library ? ( x86 Windows mingw)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:28:39 pm »
Either you're building it yourself, and then you probably already have a compiler that supports C+11, or you're not, and you'll just have to wait for it to make its way to your favorite package manager / dependencies package.

To clarify, compilers have supported C++11 for a long long while, we only avoid it in OpenXcom because we don't wanna upset the old codebase. :P This does not stop you from using a newer compiler with OpenXcom.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:23 pm »
And nobody can stop you when you want use C++11 it in your branch, like me :) (but you need abandon hopes of pushing something back to master branch)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 01:48:27 am »
Either you're building it yourself, and then you probably already have a compiler that supports C+11, or you're not, and you'll just have to wait for it to make its way to your favorite package manager / dependencies package.
Oh I'm not worried about the compiler's support. But since mingw-gcc is not supported by the yaml devs, there's no guarantee that their newer code keeps compiling on it.
Whenever a library proposes a pre-built package, I use it. Otherwise I have to compile it, and my current toolchain can compile 17 libraries this way (6 of them are required for compiling OpenXcom)
I'm very wary of upgrading, because each time I do, one of the older libraries stops compiling...

In case anybody needs it in the future, I attach here the yaml-cpp-0.5.1 which I use for OpenXcom.