Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 24663 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 Version 0.9
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »
So this the last bit of content before 0.9 rolls out?

If you don't mind, give us a change log before it's out :)

Regarding the version you already have:
* Change: Outpost Special Biolab mission can now be unlocked through either getting Bluebook reports 7, 8 and 9, or by getting reports 10, 11 and 12. Previously you needed all these 6 reports to unlock the mission
* Change: Data Disk 2 now unlocks UFO Power Source research, gives 'Project Redlight' Bluebook report, and unlocks Outpost Special Coldisle mission
* New mission: Outpost Special Coldisle (stage 1) and Outpost Special Pyramid (stage 2), allows to recover Alien Crystal
* New Item: Alien Crystal, unlocks Elerium (previously it was Data Disk 2) and gives 'Project Aquarius' Bluebook report
* New terrain: Cold Isle by Blank, added to existing Recovery, Extraction, Assault and Destroy missions
* Change: Data Disk 1 now gives 'Project Sign" Bluebook Report, in addition to a random human tech
* Change: Human Scientist now gives 'Project Plato' Bluebook Report, in addition to a random human tech
* Change: Thin Man now gives 'Project Pounce' Bluebook Report, in addition to a random human tech
* Change: less role of human opponents during Council missions (due to negative feedback about the 'MiBs')
* Increased timers from 20 to 30 turns, as requested

I'm in the process of rewriting several UFOPedia articles & mission briefings for better narrative proposes and I'm also considering whether to remove the MiBs or reduce their appearance.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:05:18 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2016, 08:43:50 pm »
This looks like the correct place to hide the prototype Psiamp -;>

You seem to have adopted the Chinese economic model: make cheap copies of everything that you can get your hands on and combine them together regardless of how they fit.

It works, but people don't buy Chinese because it is new, original or exciting, but simply because it is cheap and it is not expected to last long. And it is cheap because they didn't had to put their creativity or imagination into work, somebody else already did it for them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:58:00 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2016, 09:34:20 pm »
You seem to have adopted the Chinese economic model: make cheap copies of everything that you can get your hands on and combine them together regardless of how they fit.

It works, but people don't buy Chinese because it is new, original or exciting, but simply because it is cheap and it is not expected to last long. And it is cheap because they didn't had to put their creativity or imagination into work, somebody else already did it for them.

I just wanted to praise your work here.

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2016, 09:34:46 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this. Tbh the main reason I havrnt played ufo defense in a while is that I was waiting for v0,9 of A51/Redux

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »
I just wanted to praise your work here.

And I've said it before: copying is a compliment to someone's ideas and/or work. However, the whole point of creating is not simply copying

I could have simply reused XOps's underground pyramid maps, even though he also uses them for a special mission. So in order not just to copy his work, I took his Pyramid Ice sprites, designed my own 60x60 map based on a old idea I had, which took me weeks of work, and even designed and added new sprites that I needed. This is creating, and not just copying, because I took XOps' work and added something new to it that he and others can now use.

"Your work inspired me" is a much bigger compliment for an author than having his work copied

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2016, 10:01:04 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this. Tbh the main reason I havrnt played ufo defense in a while is that I was waiting for v0,9 of A51/Redux

Just hang on a couple of days until I finish these last minute adjustments then I'll release a beta. I can't actually wait for more people to start trying out the new missions and getting some feedback.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:40 am »
"Your work inspired me" is a much bigger compliment for an author than having his work copied

Actually that was the point i initially wanted to address, because this pyramid map and the tileset made me imagine a labyrinth were you need to search for a prototype psiamp.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2016, 05:27:33 am »
Would be neat to explore an ancient alien colony before it's activated in TFTD. Old looking ruins of a colony. Once you enter, it reanimated long dead zombie lobstermen to defend the place. Also they'll carry underwater tech we can research, but have no use for the UFO war.

Just a thought.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:34 am »
Would be neat to explore an ancient alien colony before it's activated in TFTD. Old looking ruins of a colony. Once you enter, it reanimated long dead zombie lobstermen to defend the place. Also they'll carry underwater tech we can research, but have no use for the UFO war.

Just a thought.

Just follow the yellow bluebook trail... ;)

I have finished designing 0.9 but I still need to playtest a few things tomorrow to make sure there are no obvious crashes but I should release it very soon. :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2016, 12:42:51 am »
I did get a crash which caused me to restart, but I thought it was due to mods. Didn't log it, sorry Hobbes. Was from a few days ago.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2016, 02:13:14 am »
I did get a crash which caused me to restart, but I thought it was due to mods. Didn't log it, sorry Hobbes. Was from a few days ago.

Gotcha. I already fixed several of the new terrains in the past days, so that crash is probably solved. It's still likely that something is broken somewhere, but I'm going to make one last test run and if I'm satisfied I'll release version 0.9 tonight.

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2016, 11:30:28 pm »
Oh for release notes you might want to also include the aliens/weapons spreadsheet.  Would make it pretty easy to see all of the changes in regards to damage model, armor, resistances, etc.  On my phone atm so can't relink it.  Also starting tonight I should be able to put in some time into the new version so hopefully it's out by then!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2016, 12:00:58 am »
Oh for release notes you might want to also include the aliens/weapons spreadsheet.  Would make it pretty easy to see all of the changes in regards to damage model, armor, resistances, etc.  On my phone atm so can't relink it.  Also starting tonight I should be able to put in some time into the new version so hopefully it's out by then!

I'll include your chart on the .zip file for the next update

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2016, 01:34:53 pm »
I'm not 100% sure, but I'd swear I've had agents beaten to death by civilians.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »
I'm not 100% sure, but I'd swear I've had agents beaten to death by civilians.

You got close to a civilian and it melee attacked you? Civilian AI must need some tweaks