Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 17858 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: Area 51 Version 0.9
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2016, 08:25:38 am »
I got a distress signal, which was something new and didn't expect. Can't wait to keep playing and discover new features!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2016, 01:58:45 pm »
*comes back from the shadows*

Hey Hobbes, long time no see!

I am willing to give it a try, probably will not be able to dedicate more than 2 hours per day but should be able to test this & next week.

Hey Crazy Photon, it's really been a while :)

I'm just changing the start areas for the Escape missions then I'll send you a link for download. Thanks!

I got a distress signal, which was something new and didn't expect. Can't wait to keep playing and discover new features!

:)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2016, 06:10:57 am »
Spoilers: So I attempted to beat that distress mission, but I felt it's impossible in 20 turns with no armor after one mistake.

I had to reach the control room that I assume was on the other side of the ship. Took the bottom floor route with all the private cabins and after a dead end, I ended up taking them up the elevator to the bar area and having to back track, because I didn't think to bring explosives to blow a hole into the wall of that bar to continue forward. Lost some more ops and ragequit... I dunno, one bad move and I lose. What happens after 20 turns? Do I lose all my men? Hopefully not. I should of tested that out. Maybe you shouldn't tell us. I also noticed all those explosive barrels in the cabin section. I thought that was strange. Also shot into a wall and explosion after explosion wondering what the heck I just did. Huge explosions at the begining, spawn area just west of that and it's a Passenger Cruise ship.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2016, 02:47:33 pm »
I also noticed all those explosive barrels in the cabin section. I thought that was strange. Also shot into a wall and explosion after explosion wondering what the heck I just did. Huge explosions at the begining, spawn area just west of that and it's a Passenger Cruise ship.

Hmmm, explosive barrels in the cabin section and walls exploding after being hit? Oh myyy

Probably it's better if I post the bottom floor of Linership then you can point me exactly where all of this happened :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »
Ok, the explosions by the landing zone, I can see they're barrels now, which is a logical explanation to keep them outside, but still not a pretty sight for a luxury cruise ship. I was wondering what it was that caused smoke to cover the upper levels too. I thought all my operatives were all gonna die, heh.

As for the other barrels inside and right next to a passenger cabin, I personally think they shouldn't exist, but it's your call. What's in them? Fuel? They should explode with fire and just burn my guys too. ^^

Edit: Replace with sofas/chairs?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »
Ok, the explosions by the landing zone, I can see they're barrels now, which is a logical explanation to keep them outside, but still not a pretty sight for a luxury cruise ship. I was wondering what it was that caused smoke to cover the upper levels too. I thought all my operatives were all gonna die, heh.

As for the other barrels inside and right next to a passenger cabin, I personally think they shouldn't exist, but it's your call. What's in them? Fuel? They should explode with fire and just burn my guys too. ^^

Edit: Replace with sofas/chairs?

Those barrels are actually part of the original TFTD design but if they're so out of place then I can remove/replace them. As for the smoke in the upper areas the most likely culprit is an alien grenade explosion.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2016, 07:23:40 am »
Ok, all this happened during my turn. It's okay, since they're from TFTD, I'm sure they're for fun factor. I would remove them, personally :)

I sent you a message about the Terror-Site not warning me about an escape mission(did I?). By that I mean the briefing doesn't mention it. Also, 20-turns is the standard for all these time-based mission, correct? Maybe we can increase it, sometimes, or is this because I'm playing on Superhuman? I love the challenge of time limits, so I hope we can balance this new mode for UFO.

Now, as for the escape mission, is it in all Terror-Sites, or is it random? You can put a good standard description like:

"*As X-COM operatives are fighting to reclaim the Terror-Site, the local government has taken matters into their own hands and blocked our assistance. They have officially began preparing to explain why they nuked the city our operatives are in!*

Your objectives have changed! You are to regroup with your squad leader and rendezvous to the coordinates you're given, secure evac zone and wait for extraction! Skyranger is on the way as we speak! You have 20 turns to reach evac before all hell breaks loose! I repeat, 20 turns, no less! Operator out"

Now if you can give us that scenario, it would be hellish. Teams of 3-4 operatives scattered around the Terror Site. It's okay if one of the teams were nearest, because, you still gotta get the rest of the team in. Once we reach the Evac zone (lit up ground tiles to know where it is), we make our final stand to defend this point until the 20th turn and make sure all men are standing in the tiles last turn.

Classic audio clip for those who missed it :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:34:32 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »
Ok, all this happened during my turn. It's okay, since they're from TFTD, I'm sure they're for fun factor. I would remove them, personally :)

I personally like to keep things as possible to the originals but I doubt anyone will notice their removal, so I'll do it :)

I sent you a message about the Terror-Site not warning me about an escape mission(did I?). By that I mean the briefing doesn't mention it. Also, 20-turns is the standard for all these time-based mission, correct? Maybe we can increase it, sometimes, or is this because I'm playing on Superhuman? I love the challenge of time limits, so I hope we can balance this new mode for UFO.

I'm really interested on your guys feedback regarding the timers/alerts/briefings for balance and useful info for the player. The 20 turn limit came up in a discussion with Warboy and I tried it a couple of times, but I can't be considered a unbiased player, so if you say it should be longer, then my question is: how much? :)

Now, as for the escape mission, is it in all Terror-Sites, or is it random? You can put a good standard description like:

Random. You have a chance of around 60% for a regular Terror Site and 40% for an Escape. But, I actually designed the mission system allowing for the player to know before the mission if it will be a Terror or an Escape site, if you learn how (or use a cheat sheet that I might also release).

"*As X-COM operatives are fighting to reclaim the Terror-Site, the local government has taken matters into their own hands and blocked our assistance. They have officially began preparing to explain why they nuked the city our operatives are in!*

Your objectives have changed! You are to regroup with your squad leader and rendezvous to the coordinates you're given, secure evac zone and wait for extraction! Skyranger is on the way as we speak! You have 20 turns to reach evac before all hell breaks loose! I repeat, 20 turns, no less! Operator out"

Grade A for dramatic effect but when you compare it to the Terror Site's briefing:

Mission will be successful when all enemy units have been eliminated or neutralized. You must attempt to save the lives of any civilians in the area by neutralizing the alien menace. To abort the mission return XCom operatives to transport vehicle and click on the 'Abort Mission' icon.

In 3 sentences it manages to tell the player all the info it needs regarding the mission objectives and evacuation.

My current version has:

Your squad has deployed to engage the aliens but it has been cut off and an emergency airstrike has just been ordered to stop the alien massacre.  Mission will be successful if at least 1 X-Com unit has retreated to the inside of the Mudranger and the mission is aborted in 20 turns or if all aliens are killed.

I'm open to more ideas :)

Now if you can give us that scenario, it would be hellish. Teams of 3-4 operatives scattered around the Terror Site. It's okay if one of the teams were nearest, because, you still gotta get the rest of the team in. Once we reach the Evac zone (lit up ground tiles to know where it is), we make our final stand to defend this point until the 20th turn and make sure all men are standing in the tiles last turn.

Regarding maps this is quite easy, only requires writing the script. Change the battlescape dimensions from the current 80x40 to 60x60, put the Mudranger/craft in the center and place several 10x10 buildings for XCom units to spawn around it. However, I think that might place the player too much in those hellish situations where it's a loss from the start due to bad initial positions for all the spawning areas. But if you'd like to try it out, I can set a test version although you'll have to play it on New Battle and not on your current campaign.

This is something I've been playing around, which is adding a 2nd XCom spawning area (either 10x10 or 20x20). Since the map is a 80x40 it can either result in both areas being close, or at opposite ends. The advantage here is that the player has a reasonable chance for 1 area to be always close to the exit, so it will be harder to evac at least 1 unit and avoid squad wipes, or to start already occupying a larger share of the battlefield.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:41:53 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2016, 04:40:02 am »
Hey Hobbes, I'm out of time for now. Hopefully I can jump back in on Monday and keep me up-to-date with patches.

Thanks for adding my text to the game, I like it! But you're right, like that saying goes "less is more" and I also prefer the game's style for dialog.

I'm playing on Superhuman. I took a blow to funding at the end of the first month, because I only had large UFOs popping up. I also finally got around to getting lots of goodies to manufacture like alloy ammo/armor to contend with the larger UFOs.
The way you made it so you require the low end armors to creating the improved versions, that was surprising, I thought I was going to skip straight to Personal Armor hah...
That said, can you add an option to let us salvage broken armor on the field? There is a mod I'm currently using for repairing armor from dead ops but I'm nowhere near getting to tier 3 Personal Armor. Soon.

I do like the manufacturing focus, compared to going straight to Laser Rifles and done heh.. and hopefully I can make use of the alloy ammo before they become obsolete with the next tech(Gauss?) and so on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:44:46 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:51 am »
This reminds me of some old versions of TFTD's alien colony part 2 when there weren't enough x-com spawn points so some of your soldiers would be scattered about the map on different levels, alone and surrounded.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 08:35:34 pm »
Hey Hobbes, I'm out of time for now. Hopefully I can jump back in on Monday and keep me up-to-date with patches.

Cool, I'm already thinking of releasing version 0.9 in the next days

The way you made it so you require the low end armors to creating the improved versions, that was surprising, I thought I was going to skip straight to Personal Armor hah...
That said, can you add an option to let us salvage broken armor on the field? There is a mod I'm currently using for repairing armor from dead ops but I'm nowhere near getting to tier 3 Personal Armor. Soon.

The original suggestion was for each armor requiring its predecessor, but I trimmed it down only to Combat Vest requiring Alloy Vest. Just a way of recycling the starting armor, so you should be able to still use that mod for Personal Armor. 

I do like the manufacturing focus, compared to going straight to Laser Rifles and done heh.. and hopefully I can make use of the alloy ammo before they become obsolete with the next tech(Gauss?) and so on.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2016, 07:43:22 am »
Great! Can't wait for official 0.9. What else did you add after you updated the testers? I'm already imagining lots of balancing for 1.0.

I haven't played enough, but do you think the research tree is good enough? I'm sure anything can always get improved. I'm hoping others can chip in.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:01:55 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2016, 05:18:16 pm »
Great! Can't wait for official 0.9. What else did you add after you updated the testers? I'm already imagining lots of balancing for 1.0.

I haven't played enough, but do you think the research tree is good enough? I'm sure anything can always get improved. I'm hoping others can chip in.

I have only added Blank's Polar Island terrain since it was a type I wanted for some time. I might add a couple of additional missions but I'm still undecided about those.

As for the research tree, it works and doesn't have any redundant topics.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
One last minute addition, Cold Isle, designed by Blank, which will appear on Council Extraction/Assault/Recovery/Destroy missions that take place in the Arctic/Antarctic. This is the Extraction mission:

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2016, 12:03:36 am »
Question: are the maps of those specific missions static or random?