Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 24665 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 Version 0.9
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:20 am »
Last minute details :)

That's an allied human inside the APC

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:32 pm »
More last minute details. These are the Project Bluebook reports, which replace the News Briefs

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2016, 08:41:42 am »
Some of these titles intrigue me.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2016, 03:16:30 pm »
Some of these titles intrigue me.

:)

I love UFO folklore (comes from even before XCOM) and I have several of Timothy Good's books about UFOs, including Above Top Secret which was one major influence acknowledged by Julian Gollop on the original UFO: Enemy Unknown. So instead of naming those titles as 'Report 01', 'Report 02', etc., I decided to use names of chapters of Timothy Good's books.

Here's the content of the first Bluebook report (The Growing Security Threat):
* Reports from tourists in Namibia of 'strange animals' rebutted by park rangers as elephant herd sightings
* 'Ground methane release' causes major fire damage to isolated military outpost on Alaska
* World governments dismiss claims of a secret organization currently investigating 'paranormal' activity
* Freak boreal auroras seen over Greenland responsible for comms disruptions, scientists confirm 'unusual solar storms'
* Chinese base at Yulin on lockdown after alleged security breach on its perimeter, military authorities deny any unusual activity
* Osaka 'devil' terrorizes suburbs, residents describe 'winged eyes', police checking local zoos for escaped animals
* British researcher releases formely classified documents related to 1982 RAF Woodbridge incident, reports add no new details to previous UFO claims
* Russian bunker at Zrbynia 41 disabled by 'unknown' radar contact - sentries report 'ball of light' hovering nearby

And some of those news items are actually inspired by UFO cases described on the books ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:27:48 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2016, 11:48:51 pm »
Just did some more testing and everything seems to be working as expected, so here's a preview of the Project Bluebook feature, which completely replaces the old News Briefs, and is a part of the new Council missions. 

The new Council missions appear once each month, and usually they will be one of of these 3 types: Defense, Assault and Destroy. There are also Capture, Extraction and Recovery missions but those will be rarer to appear and require specific research to appear, namely Project Bluebook.

The original Project Bluebook was an effort made by the U.S. Airforce to collect (and usually debunk) UFO sightings that took place in the 1960s. Here your eggheads go over the world's newspapers, military & intelligence reports and whatever they can find to see if it might contain anything of interest in fighting the aliens. And once they're done browsing all the news they put the interesting bits into a Project Bluebook report like the following:

The first thing to notice are the locations mentioned in the report: Toulouse, North Atlantic, etc. Those are actually possible locations for the next month's Council mission, so player might get some forewarning. Second is the alien robot (aka Phaser) being scared of fire, which is a tactical tip. Third is that 6 of the 13 reports will generate a Capture/Extraction/Recovery mission next month, potentially giving the player some early/mid technologies, if the mission is successful. First Bluebook Report is free (but doesn't generate any mission), all others cost 100 scientist/days to complete.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:40:20 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2016, 06:26:51 pm »
I was looking at the Research tree today and decided to make a change that should have quite an impact. Previously you needed to interrogate an Alien Scientist which would give you Reverse Engineering allowing to unlock plasma weapons, psi-lab, firestorm, all of the higher techs. But I  realized that this tech was redundant, since Elerium can do the trick without the need for another tech (and it also fits better for narrative proposes).

So now you need Alien Scientist to unlock Elerium, which has some dramatic changes because Power Suit and advanced Lasers/Gauss are now out of reach until Elerium is unlocked. Should be interesting to try. This will also impact manufacturing but I'm also going to take the opportunity to simplify that section and bring it closer to vanilla ;)

Edit: finishing one last map for one last mission, hope to get this whole thing released soon.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:10:35 am by Hobbes »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2016, 06:08:03 am »
Damn, I just read all the features. I feel like a kid again waiting for my birthday and expecting Super Mario Bros. 3! You're the man Hobbes!

So do the current features on the list reflect only 0.9 coming up or is it everything 1.0 will have one day?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2016, 08:43:36 am »
Damn, I just read all the features. I feel like a kid again waiting for my birthday and expecting Super Mario Bros. 3! You're the man Hobbes!

So do the current features on the list reflect only 0.9 coming up or is it everything 1.0 will have one day?

Almost everything. Most likely there will be a few more aliens, units, maps, weapons, etc. but that will really depend on how they fit into the new theme and/or if I can get some nice sprites.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Area 51 Version 0.9 playtester needed
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 04:41:12 am »
Tonight I finished implementation of version 0.9, yay! :)

Already gave it a trial run and played the strategic layer for half a year. It definitely was a weird experience which already gave me ideas for balancing the Council missions, but I decided to ask if anyone is interested in playtesting it for a couple of days before I release it.

Here's a few images of what lies ahead...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:44:24 am by Hobbes »

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 07:42:12 am »
Man I would love to playtest it...if I had the time.  Right now I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours at night for games, assuming I even open my PC.  Totally looking forward to this in 1-2 weeks though when things die down here and I can get into a more normal schedule.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 08:45:02 am »
Yeah let me have at it! I'll give you my input from my experience. I can't do full play-through, but I can totally play it and let you know what I think and I like sharing ideas :) Thanks Hobbes, pm me if I'm worthy to play this early!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 01:51:44 pm »
Man I would love to playtest it...if I had the time.  Right now I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours at night for games, assuming I even open my PC.  Totally looking forward to this in 1-2 weeks though when things die down here and I can get into a more normal schedule.

I hope to have it released by then, otherwise I'll send you a copy to try it out.

Yeah let me have at it! I'll give you my input from my experience. I can't do full play-through, but I can totally play it and let you know what I think and I like sharing ideas :) Thanks Hobbes, pm me if I'm worthy to play this early!

Great, there's a couple of things I need to tweak first but I'm PM you a download link later on. Thanks :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 10:50:49 pm »

I would love to plunder this mods riches ^^

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:45 am »
Can't believe I missed this until now.

Looking good Hobbes. Can't wait to give it a go.

Offline Crazy Photon

• Squaddie
  • Resistance is NEVER Futile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2016, 07:15:26 am »
*comes back from the shadows*

Hey Hobbes, long time no see!

I am willing to give it a try, probably will not be able to dedicate more than 2 hours per day but should be able to test this & next week.