Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 24522 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Redux Version 0.9
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »
Thats a very good idea, especially if you Mix deployments and give alien both ammo types (Stun Bomb Elerium Bomb) or seperate deployments after Mission (Terromission get Eleriumbombs only, Supply Ship Stund Bombs only) and mix in Ranks which can carry Small Launchers for example Engineers and or Navigators (i personally give Engineers the ability to wield them).

Already implemented on Redux: on Terror, Retaliation and Base missions the Medics carry Elerium Bombs, on all other missions Stun Bombs

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »
Hi Hobbes,

you might wanna recheck the regionweight for STR_NORTH_ATLANTIC since the regionweight there is 45!!!
At least in the last Version of Redux (0.8 j), it is also in the original Terrqainpack Ruleset set to 45 (Version 3.7)

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_NORTH_ATLANTIC
    cost: 500000
    areas:
      - [305, 335, -70, -30]
      - [300, 335, -30, -10]
    regionWeight: 45

I was always wondering why i was getting so many missions in the North Atlantic, well that obviously would explain it.
Best regards :)

PS: Can't wait for the Globe with the new textures and such!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:41 am »
Hi Hobbes,

you might wanna recheck the regionweight for STR_NORTH_ATLANTIC since the regionweight there is 45!!!
At least in the last Version of Redux (0.8 j), it is also in the original Terrqainpack Ruleset set to 45 (Version 3.7)

Already fixed but thanks :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 Version 0.9
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
Just finished implementing the Gauss Autocannon and Gauss Heavy Cannon. I used chaosshade's sprites for the GHC and made a new one for the GAC with some recoloring of the original sprites.

Meanwhile, also finished implementing Roxis231's Blackbird, with some slight changes though since I made it a pure transport, increased its carrying ability from 7 to 10 units (no HWPs) and removed the floor 'hatch'

And finished renaming the mod to Area 51, although the mod portal still lists it as UFO Redux, but that I'll only change when 0.9 gets released. New terrains will need some real testing though, since I'm getting occasional crashes most likely due to issues with the terrain generation.

Main issues remaining are to finish the Destroy missions and rework the research tree.

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2016, 08:18:06 am »
Looks nice!  I'm assuming you had to manufacture that Incendiary ammo and couldn't simply use the buyable HC/AC Incendiary Ammo?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »
Looks nice!  I'm assuming you had to manufacture that Incendiary ammo and couldn't simply use the buyable HC/AC Incendiary Ammo?

Yeah, I said before that I wanted to make the vanilla/Gauss cannons clips compatible with both weapons but I remembered that vanilla uses chemical reactions to propel the rounds so they couldn't really be used in a railgun and vice-versa, so I discarded that idea.

The only thing missing are the remaining weapon stats (cost, weight, etc.)

I've considered adding some missing weapons (shotgun 3rd tier, sniper rifle 2nd tier, sword 3rd tier) but for now I want to focus on finishing everything instead of adding even more new stuff
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:21:11 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 07:59:07 pm »
Well, until yesterday I thought I had wrapped up the mission changes, until armed civilians got implemented by Warboy, so this is also coming for version 0.9

Meanwhile, still need to finish a few things regarding new missions/terrains/news briefs that are all related so this is taking some time but I want to get 0.9 released soon because it was impossible for me to test everything in detail and I'll need some help there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:03:06 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
Cool, will there be an indicator separating allies from foes? Thin men vs army would be hard to figure out.

It will look like you are not the only defense force and that you can actually helping countries defending themselves.

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:18 pm »
Enemies give you a number to click on, so if no number then not an enemy (assuming the selected soldier can see the enemy).

And Hobbes I'll test it once it comes 9ut, but I'm in the process of moving so my play time will be limited.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:09 pm »
Cool, will there be an indicator separating allies from foes? Thin men vs army would be hard to figure out.

It will look like you are not the only defense force and that you can actually helping countries defending themselves.

The only way would be to add an indicator for all civilians since the 'allies' are armed civilians but that isn't included.

Right now I have considered adding them to the following missions:
* Terror Sites - just 1 or 2 soldiers/policeman, as stragglers that got separated from the rest
* Council Missions - up to 8 allied units (plus unarmed civilians), depending on the mission and the terrain

The allied humans will only use conventional weapons and not upgrade over time (for several reasons), so they can be useful on the early game but later the aliens will simply trash them.

And Hobbes I'll test it once it comes 9ut, but I'm in the process of moving so my play time will be limited.

Good luck with the move. Did you made any additional changes to the spreadsheet? I haven't updated all of the unit/weapon values because I wasn't sure if you made any more changes meanwhile.

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 04:11:27 am »
Seems like a good idea not to upgrade the allies' guns. Think about that famous x-com rookie accuracy and imagine an 'allied' civilian helpfully trying to shoot an alien right next to your troops. On the flip side, if the guns they carried were too valuable then they probably won't survive the mission.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 04:29:23 am »
On the flip side, if the guns they carried were too valuable then they probably won't survive the mission.

The main issue is that with the vanilla itemLevels you'd probably see allied soldiers with Lasers and even Plasmas before your troops had them researched. And I think you might collect all the civilian weapons automatically if you win the mission.

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 06:51:27 am »
I didn't make any new changes.  We hammered out pretty much all of the weapon changes and the aliens are pretty much at a spot where they need to be tested to see if any additional changes are needed.  As of right now about the only thing I think might need to be adjusted are the shotguns, but they are likely to require a decent bit of testing given how they work.  For example that Alloy Ammo might be too low for damage given how many things have 20+ armor.  What does it matter if it hits up to 7 times if the damage can't penetrate the armor?  Also how many pellets hitting the target should it be balanced around?  Numbers are roughly balanced around all pellets hitting the target, but that's only likely when you're within 1-2 squares; and while it is designed as a short range weapon I don't think it's supposed to be a melee weapon.

Though with the changes and thanks to fractional damage always doing at least 1 point of damage, shotguns are decently viable for dealing with Stalkers and Phasers.  When each pellet does 1 damage (1-2 for the Alloy Shotgun) you're looking at up to 5-7 damage per shot depending on ammo-type (5-10 for the Alloy Shotgun) on aliens that only have 20 or 45 hp and are balanced as bullet sponges unless using the proper ammo.

So at least the shotguns will have that going for them.  But overall I expect their damage to still be a bit low, especially if the balance goal is for ~60% of the pellets to hit the target (so 3 from reg ammo and Alloy Shotgun, or 4-5 from Alloy Ammo).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2016, 04:48:41 am »
Tonight I've finished the alienDeployments for new Council missions, for a total of 76 possible missions, although 48 will only be used due to balance proposes. In any case, playing all the 48 missions in a single campaign requires 4 years of gameplay. And I most likely will need to add some conditionals to missionScripts in order to ensure proper distribution between the 6 different types of Council missions (Capture, Defense, Assault, Recovery, Extraction and Destroy), although that might come with some constraints of its own.

Which means that 0.9 is almost done since I decided that more new weapons/UFOs can wait for now, although there are 3 issues remaining: armed civilians/allied soldiers and News Briefs. Once those are done I should get out the new version.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:18 am »
Got to hear that can't wait for the missions.
To steal and adapt!