aliens

Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 23642 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 Version 0.9
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2016, 01:43:28 am »
Question: are the maps of those specific missions static or random?

Both and more. A few of the maps are static (Skyranger/HWP factories), but the majority are fully random or procedurally generated, where some maps are placed in specific locations to create roads, exit/entry areas, etc., and the rest of the battlescape is filled with random maps.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2016, 05:55:25 am »
That is a nice map! I haven't heard of Blank. Is he on another forum? Wow, I can't wait for 0.9! Bring it with you next time Hobbes!

Offline Dzlan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2016, 01:12:58 pm »
Well, I've played a lot of OpenXcom, being one of my favourite games, and I have to say, the past few weeks, I've bee loving this mod.
That is.. until I came across a landed UFO that had these human looking enemies in grey armour and black helmets. And I've got to say, this mod needs some serious balancing issues.

One of them aliens took at least 24 sniper bullets, several alloy LMG rounds, and several standard rifle rounds. And it was still standing. I was using spotter/sniper tactics to even pull this off, and it shoots a ranged explosive weapon as well has some pretty good accuracy and reactions it seems. By then I just gave up and quit. It's really off putting, especially when I saw another on the other side of the map. I doubt I'd even have the ammo to finish another off, and I'm sure there would be more too. (And this was on easiest difficulty too.)

I've had one of your specialize maps where you needed to escape with a data disc (according to the briefing) where I couldn't escape due to the wall of sandbags that blocked the entire path to the exit. I had to resort to leaving my men lined up on the side and reaction shot aliens who step into view to kill every single alien to even manage to succeed that mission which was painfully slow, because I don't have high explosives usually and grenades do not cut it with sandbags.

Your whole men in black scenarios are, in my opinion pretty annoying too. I get that this mod is supposed to be tougher then the original game, but pal, this just isn't right. Which is a shame, because your extra weapons mods, the extra maps, new aliens, and changes to how many parts of the game work are really really nice.

I also find that the rpg-7 and ak-47 are a turn off in a game where your weapons are literally named "Assault Rifle", "Pistol" and the aliens use "Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle", etc
Adding specific guns like the ak-47 just doesn't feel right. Honestly, something about it doesn't fit. I'd like to see them using the Assault Rifle like us, or something.
I feel like your added enemies are just far too powerful and that the standard enemies haven't changed much so that your added races feel really offputting.

There's some of my points of view. I've always thought of this mod as a rather nice "OpenXcom Expanded" sort of mod. But honestly, I feel like it needs some rebalancing here and there and a few things take me out of it. I'm seeing some talk about timed missions and though I've not seen any, I don't think it's something I'd like to see either. I enjoy taking my time, imagining my men are like the marines from halo, being pinned down while another trio moves around the building to flank.

Anyway, theres a bit about how I feel at the moment. I've not got the time right to give my view on everything just now, but I might later, if your interested in my feedback.

I've been seeing a lot more UFO's then normal too which I might have also seen mentioned in this thread somewhere.

Some things I do love is the changes that make manufacturing more important, makes you be a little more aware of ammunition usage and stuff.
I like that new Darkstar, though I've not actually used it yet (I want to in my next run, because I used to use patrols and stuff a lot while monitoring the activity chart obsessively, trying to catch every single alien in every wave.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2016, 06:25:18 pm »
Well, I've played a lot of OpenXcom, being one of my favourite games, and I have to say, the past few weeks, I've bee loving this mod.
That is.. until I came across a landed UFO that had these human looking enemies in grey armour and black helmets. And I've got to say, this mod needs some serious balancing issues.

One of them aliens took at least 24 sniper bullets, several alloy LMG rounds, and several standard rifle rounds. And it was still standing. I was using spotter/sniper tactics to even pull this off, and it shoots a ranged explosive weapon as well has some pretty good accuracy and reactions it seems. By then I just gave up and quit. It's really off putting, especially when I saw another on the other side of the map. I doubt I'd even have the ammo to finish another off, and I'm sure there would be more too. (And this was on easiest difficulty too.)

Those are Phasers and you need fire/incendiary to kill them. They've already been adjusted for upcoming version 0.9

Your whole men in black scenarios are, in my opinion pretty annoying too. I get that this mod is supposed to be tougher then the original game, but pal, this just isn't right. Which is a shame, because your extra weapons mods, the extra maps, new aliens, and changes to how many parts of the game work are really really nice.

The new missions and maps are one of the main features of Area 51 and there are maps that you simply cannot use in the vanilla missions. If you don't like them, stick to other mods since you can get the extra weapons, aliens, etc. And you can get either aliens or human enemies on Council missions, they're random.

I also find that the rpg-7 and ak-47 are a turn off in a game where your weapons are literally named "Assault Rifle", "Pistol" and the aliens use "Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle", etc
Adding specific guns like the ak-47 just doesn't feel right. Honestly, something about it doesn't fit. I'd like to see them using the Assault Rifle like us, or something.

RPG is both an acronym for Rocket Propelled Grenade and for Ruchnoi Protivotankovyi Granatomyot (Russian for portable anti-tank grenade launcher), more commonly known as RPG-7. Since I only use 'RPG Launcher', referring to the general type of weapon, and not the particular 'RPG-7', it seems fine to me.

For the AK-47, yeah doesn't fit the convention but I've also had people saying to me that they really liked the inclusion of the AK-47. Everyone using the same generic Assault Rifle does feel more odd to me, when there's so many nice weapon sprites around of contemporary rifles. So with the choice being between sticking to convention and naming it 'Battle Rifle' or 'Automatic Rifle', although it's still an Assault Rifle in everything but the appearance, I prefer to use 'AK-47' since it's the most used assault rifle in the world.

I'm seeing some talk about timed missions and though I've not seen any, I don't think it's something I'd like to see either. I enjoy taking my time, imagining my men are like the marines from halo, being pinned down while another trio moves around the building to flank.

Missions with timers will appear on upcoming 0.9. If you don't like those, it's understandable but there're staying for version 0.9

Anyway, theres a bit about how I feel at the moment. I've not got the time right to give my view on everything just now, but I might later, if your interested in my feedback.

First, thank you for your comments. If you have anything to add not related to the previous topics, go ahead :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:35:25 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
For the AK-47, yeah doesn't fit the convention but I've also had people saying to me that they really liked the inclusion of the AK-47. Everyone using the same generic Assault Rifle does feel more odd to me, when there's so many nice weapon sprites around of contemporary rifles. So with the choice being between sticking to convention and naming it 'Battle Rifle' or 'Automatic Rifle', although it's still an Assault Rifle in everything but the appearance, I prefer to use 'AK-47' since it's the most used assault rifle in the world.

How about a solution like this:
I've had the same problem in X-Com Files and ultimately decided to rename the standard X-Com weapons to BlackOps Pistol, BlackOps Rifle etc.; BlackOps being a weapons manufacturer I invented. (Somebody makes these highest-class weapons after all.)
Weapons like Heavy Cannon or Auto Cannon retained their names, but now they're made by X-Com, so they don't need a marketable name. If they were bought, I'd also rename them to something more specific.
This allowed me to add a ton of real weapons like the Kalashnikov without breaking the convention.

This is just a suggestion of course, not sure how well it'd fit your mod or if it's even to your liking.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:18 pm »
How about a solution like this:
I've had the same problem in X-Com Files and ultimately decided to rename the standard X-Com weapons to BlackOps Pistol, BlackOps Rifle etc.; BlackOps being a weapons manufacturer I invented. (Somebody makes these highest-class weapons after all.)
Weapons like Heavy Cannon or Auto Cannon retained their names, but now they're made by X-Com, so they don't need a marketable name. If they were bought, I'd also rename them to something more specific.
This allowed me to add a ton of real weapons like the Kalashnikov without breaking the convention.

This is just a suggestion of course, not sure how well it'd fit your mod or if it's even to your liking.

First issue, I'm keeping all features of the original game as they were, including the item names.

Second issue, I've tried already your solution when the human enemies had 2 complete weapon sets, one of them being of the Omega Rifle, Omega Shotgun, etc., but I disliked the overabundance of redundant weapons that appeared on the Equip screen, where you'd have a Rifle/Assault Rifle/AK-47/Omega Rifle, all with the same abilities and just slightly different stats. Other than faction flavor those added nothing meaningful to the game so nearly all of those weapons were removed on the early versions, except for the Snubnose Pistol, AK-47 and RPG. 

As for AK-47, I completely agree that it stands out in relation to the other weapons, but names like 'Automatic Rifle' or 'Battle Rifle' are too generic, IMO. Any other solution has also its drawbacks and on this case I decided to keep it as simple as possible, and use 'AK-47' because most of the the human enemies consist of irregular military, not MiBs (which appear mainly on the first month), so AK-47s are nearly a trademark for those.

But, the easy solution for players is simply to open the Area_51_Strings_en_US.rul on mods/Area 51/Ruleset/ and change the name of the 'AK-47' to whatever they like. And I could change the Human Agents (or MiBs) to only carry Machine Pistols and Shotguns to better fit their style instead of AKs. 

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:36 pm »
I did find it odd they were for sale when I first played the mod, especially the AK-47 since it was strictly inferior to the assault rifle and cost not being an issue at those amounts. More clutter when trying to figure out to set out my loadout with the new weapons. Once I hit that first scripted complex mission though I realized they're mostly there for the enemy agents to use and you to sell. It makes sense to me for them to stick out a bit from the rest of the X-com arsenal.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »
I did find it odd they were for sale when I first played the mod

And on a previous version you could only sell and not buy AK-47s or their ammo. Which then stood out as unpractical since some players would want use them and at least buy ammo. So, they were made placed for sale but moved to the bottom of the Purchase list, since they're more for the enemy agents to use, as you described.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:26 am »
About buying Aks, I understand this is a worldwide organization so maybe the Russians demand to have the Warsaw's choice weapon as an option next to the standard Assault rifle from NATO or USA, where ever it's from. Personally I'd rather see them as loot, but don't wanna piss off any Russian X-COM bros here, so why not, let us buy them :)

Timed missions limit your turns and drastically change the game. I like the change, so you try to make the best out of the turns you have. Just gotta have us test how many turns it would take for multiple routes with different alien races. I'd say increase turns to 30 and see how easy it is, because we wanna be able to beat the mission with extra turns and report how many turns it took us and slowly decrease turn count. X-COM is tough to balance since you have randomness to consider, so give us more turns :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2016, 03:47:53 pm »
Timed missions limit your turns and drastically change the game. I like the change, so you try to make the best out of the turns you have. Just gotta have us test how many turns it would take for multiple routes with different alien races. I'd say increase turns to 30 and see how easy it is, because we wanna be able to beat the mission with extra turns and report how many turns it took us and slowly decrease turn count. X-COM is tough to balance since you have randomness to consider, so give us more turns :)

No problemo, I'll set the mission timers for 30 instead of 20. I'll need to finish some mission stuff first before I'll have this new version ready though.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »
Coming soon in a theater near you: Indiana Hobbes and the Temple of Ice

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2016, 09:10:15 pm »
Wow, this is cool! I think when we were little, we all imagined exploring ancient ruins with traps and secret passages like Egypt and Azteca. I had two large buckets of mixed Legos as a kid that we bought from yard sales and since my pops couldn't afford to buy the big Johnny Thunder sets, the Lego catalogs inspired me to create my own ruins and temples. That feeling of imaginative fun as a kid, I really miss it. It's like a high we all chase after as adults.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:17:16 pm by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »
Wow, this is cool. No need to imagine it, I can play it! I think when we were little, we all imagined exploring ancient ruins with traps and secret passages like Egypt and Azteca.

It's almost finished, then I'll add it to version 0.9 :)

I wanted to add XOps's Ice Pyramid for a long time, but since he also uses it for a special mission, I decided to design my own map instead of using his, which took about 2 months to finish while doing other things for Area 51. I'm not going to post any pics of the inside here to prevent spoilers though.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2016, 07:32:54 pm »
So this the last bit of content before 0.9 rolls out?

If you don't mind, give us a change log before it's out :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »
Coming soon in a theater near you: Indiana Hobbes and the Temple of Ice

This looks like the correct place to hide the prototype Psiamp -;>