Author Topic: Area 51 Version 0.9  (Read 21729 times)

Offline aknazer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Version 0.9
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 05:56:38 pm »
So I was going to save this bit of feedback until I do my full review/feedback of the mod but with you working on 0.9 I guess it would be better to do so now.

1)  Improved HC/AC.  Possibly also the Rocket Launcher and Multi-Launcher but those two feel mostly fine from this perspective.  And when I say improved I'm talking about the accuracy.  Almost all weapons (all weapons?) that get a tier upgrade also get an accuracy improvement as well.  This leaves these weapons rather lacking and potentially worse to use even in regards to explosive ammo.  So an upgraded version with improved accuracy would be nice.

2)  Ammo Improvements.  Not just the HC/AC ones you've listed, but improved rockets and rocket packs and it would be nice if Gauss weapons could use AA ammo.  As of right now by the time you get AA ammo you can quickly get Gauss which makes a lot of that AA ammo useless.  My full review will include other possibilities, but Gauss also being able to use AA ammo would be nice.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »
So I was going to save this bit of feedback until I do my full review/feedback of the mod but with you working on 0.9 I guess it would be better to do so now.

1)  Improved HC/AC.  Possibly also the Rocket Launcher and Multi-Launcher but those two feel mostly fine from this perspective.  And when I say improved I'm talking about the accuracy.  Almost all weapons (all weapons?) that get a tier upgrade also get an accuracy improvement as well.  This leaves these weapons rather lacking and potentially worse to use even in regards to explosive ammo.  So an upgraded version with improved accuracy would be nice.

2)  Ammo Improvements.  Not just the HC/AC ones you've listed, but improved rockets and rocket packs and it would be nice if Gauss weapons could use AA ammo.  As of right now by the time you get AA ammo you can quickly get Gauss which makes a lot of that AA ammo useless.  My full review will include other possibilities, but Gauss also being able to use AA ammo would be nice.

Thanks but I'm going to suggest that you compile all of this for you review when you're done playing. The new missions/terrains are giving me a lot of work and I don't have time/motivation to be thinking of anything else at this point because it might take a couple weeks before I'm done with them :)

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 03:35:25 pm »
Looks good  :D  What's the ETA for 0,9?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 03:06:33 am »
Looks good  :D  What's the ETA for 0,9?

Couple of weeks or less. Last night I finished the Escape terrains (13 of them) but I still got 18 new missions to finish implementing, then add the required changes to research, alien squads, etc., and a couple of minor changes to other stuff that are already backlogged.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Redux Version 0.9
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 08:07:14 pm »
New version is still some time away from being released due to more stuff being added/reviewed but here's the updated progress list and a major announcement. :)

* Varied UFO waves for each mission - DONE
** To do later: add Labship and additional UFO internal configurations
* Reworked Geoscape with additional textures - DONE
* Reworked world regions, taking into account the new tactical missions and also removing/adding cities for a better distribution - DONE
* New Council missions - 1 is chosen randomly and spawn each month, can be Destroy, Capture, Recovery, Extraction, Assault and Defend - DONE
** Finish Destroy mission - only one remaining, all other missions and their terrains are implemented at this stage - DONE
* Reassign the Alien Hive and Colony terrains to the Alien Base Assault missions - DONE
* To do later - Finish Pyramid terrains, Polar, Desert and Jungle versions. Each texture now has a list of possible terrains to be used on Alien Base Assault missions - suspended until it's possible to define Alien Base terrains in world textures)
* Alien races appearance rebalance/fix - DONE
** Reworked alienRaces PACT versions to give proper alien ranks to capture missions - DONE
* Reworked research & manufacturing - DONE
** Lasers can now be researched after all vanilla Gauss weapons are researched - DONE
** Research & Manufacturing times now back to vanilla values - DONE
** Data disks can now be recovered from both Extraction and Recovery missions, upon researching them they'll give a random tech of the following list: Gauss Weapons, Alloy Ammo, Laser Weapons, Thunderstorm, Alloy Sword, Alloy Vest, Combat Armor, Personal Armor, Alloy Shotgun, Improved HWPs, Stormhawk Missile, Blackbird - DONE
* Weapons & Alien Units redesign, with the helpful collaboration of aknazer - DONE
** New Overlord & Phaser stats and damage modifiers - DONE
** New Gauss Autocannon and Gauss Heavy Cannon, as upgraded versions of their conventional counterparts - DONE
** Gauss weapons (Pistol, Rifle, Heavy) bumped to TFTD values - DONE
** Other minor adjustments to other weapons and units stats - DONE
** Gauss HWPs will be added - DONE
* Skyrider will be replaced with the Blackbird (designed by Roxis123) - DONE
* News briefs are being rewritten and will now appear as a Research project, each brief will contain some info about the locations of the council missions and their terrains, the new alien races, more UFO folklore & news, etc., I have written about 50 new entries so far
* Add allied humans (armed civilians) to missions
* Finish Special missions

And finally, one major change is coming which is that Redux will be renamed starting on version 0.9. This has to do with the name no longer reflecting the current nature of this expansion, since Redux at the beginning was meant to 'improve' aspects like air combat, research, squad sizes, etc., but as development moved forward I started removing all of these kinds of mods/features and keeping it to closer to vanilla as possible, while expanding the ingame universe with new missions/terrains/units/weapons.

As a result, from 0.9 onwards Redux shall be named as XCOM: Area 51

Some of you might recognize it as the name of my old website that hosted my terrain mods for the vanilla game and that's exactly why I chose it. More than 10 years ago when I started modding I once dreamed of being able to add new missions and all the terrains I wanted to the vanilla game. And when I first started modding for OXC I used the mods I had on my site to develop the Terrain Pack, which then evolved into Redux and now returns to XCOM: Area 51 :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:33:56 am by Hobbes »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 11:40:43 am »
Woah, can't wait to test all this! May I have a tiny suggestion to make the new plasma weaponry a bit more "standardized", it's not much but could the new small plasma weapon have the same color as the plasma blaster? I don't know the names atm, but I mean the ones from UFO2000 , they have a different color theme atm. I will change the pistol-sized weapon file and post it here in some minutes, ok?

update: file attached
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:02:27 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »
Woah, can't wait to test all this! May I have a tiny suggestion to make the new plasma weaponry a bit more "standardized", it's not much but could the new small plasma weapon have the same color as the plasma blaster? I don't know the names atm, but I mean the ones from UFO2000 , they have a different color theme atm. I will change the pistol-sized weapon file and post it here in some minutes, ok?

update: file attached

This is not a new weapon, it already exists as the Plasma Assault Cannon but it is only carried by the aliens on Cydonia and it has the color of the original UFO2000 sprite

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 12:11:25 pm »
I meant new weapon as in contrast to the default vanilla weapons. Still, i personally prefer an ongoing theme on weapons of a branch, that's why I made the color correction^

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 04:13:15 pm »
I meant new weapon as in contrast to the default vanilla weapons. Still, i personally prefer an ongoing theme on weapons of a branch, that's why I made the color correction^

I've considered that principle, of an ongoing theme, but there are two reasons why I don't consider it relevant:
* The vanilla weapons don't really match with one another, so unless you also replace their sprites they'll always be a mismatch
* Ingame, it's easier to recognize which weapon is being carried by a soldier if they have different colors in addition to different shapes

Because of these two I decided to try to mix the colors as much as possible, although in the case of the Gauss weapons they all have the same color.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »
Yeah, ok, now that makes sense. Interestingly now that I know that I like it  :D

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 11:00:56 am »
* Ingame, it's easier to recognize which weapon is being carried by a soldier if they have different colors in addition to different shapes
This is an important point. I've been using Cooper's blaster launcher mod and it makes the alien version of the blaster launcher green and brown. In the hands of aliens it looks similar to a stun launcher from certain angles. That is not a mistake you want to make.

-Stun Launcher - That alien isn't a priority; he isn't going to kill anyone.
-Blaster Launcher - I'm about to lose half my squad if I don't kill this guy.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »
This is an important point. I've been using Cooper's blaster launcher mod and it makes the alien version of the blaster launcher green and brown. In the hands of aliens it looks similar to a stun launcher from certain angles. That is not a mistake you want to make.

The aliens don't actually carry any of the weapons we've been discussing but thanks for reinforcing this point :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »

Then you use fatrat's elerium bomb for small launcher mod, and that harmless alien wipes out a good third of your squad..! ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 08:40:17 pm »
Just found an already existing recolor of the Heavy Cannon, from chaosshade's Alloy Weapons, and a recolored Autocannon from hellrazor's Hardmode mode. I'll use these for now to implement the Gauss cannons, although that AC needs a recoloring more to brown.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:44:08 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 08:51:05 pm »
Then you use fatrat's elerium bomb for small launcher mod, and that harmless alien wipes out a good third of your squad..! ;)

Thats a very good idea, especially if you Mix deployments and give alien both ammo types (Stun Bomb Elerium Bomb) or seperate deployments after Mission (Terromission get Eleriumbombs only, Supply Ship Stund Bombs only) and mix in Ranks which can carry Small Launchers for example Engineers and or Navigators (i personally give Engineers the ability to wield them).

It basically transforms the Small Launcher into Alien grenade thrower with instant damage, very good for ground clearing and of course squad wipes. I personally i also applied "arcingshot: true" towards the Small Launcher, to have a follow up weapon for the M-79 Grenade Launcher. Also it is better tonot give the alien to many different ammo types for it (maybe add a fire bomb into the deployments hmm.... something i could do for my Mod).