Author Topic: QA Testing needed (Content Install Scripts)  (Read 3543 times)

Offline MarchHare

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
QA Testing needed (Content Install Scripts)
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
I just need a few people to help me test, debug, and improve my content installation scripts for UFO and TFTD. I would like to include them in one of the nightlies fairly soon. They work on my machine, so I want to get a feel for how they work on other people's. This script arose out of my own personal work to install the content cleanly in an automated fashion, so don't expect it to be terribly refined yet.

No previous experience necessary. No scripting experience required, either, but it's a plus.

Requirements:
  • Being able to build Openxcom Nightly (the scripts originally worked for 1.0, but with the dir structure change, I updated them)
  • Bash shell (most probably on linux, but other unixlike OSes should work)
  • Admin permission on your machine. Technically not required, but helpful for full testing
  • You have the content for UFO and/or TFTD. Gotta have something to install, right?
  • A basic understanding of how to record input and output for repeatability.

Obvious plusses would be a basic understanding of posix permissions, how to use sudo, and how to do basic bash scripting.

I'm also looking for ways to improve the process of installation, for instance, automatically picking out the XDG_DATA... stuff if the user doesn't override it (right now, it just defaults to .local/share/openxcom or /usr/share/openxcom depending on whether root is installing.)

If you're interested, respond here and let me know. It won't be a huge time commitment, I promise.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: QA Testing needed (Content Install Scripts)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:14:22 am »
I wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

Where can i find them?

Oh and please ... use ``/usr/local/{share,bin,games}`` not ``/usr/{share,bin,games}`` to avoid clashes with distribution packages.

Offline MarchHare

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:31:39 am »
Oh and please ... use ``/usr/local/{share,bin,games}`` not ``/usr/{share,bin,games}`` to avoid clashes with distribution packages.

Good call. Implemented.

Offline MarchHare

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:47 am »
Also, here's the script file for UFO. It's exactly the same as for TFTD, except for the directory list and name variables. Just rename it to Install UFO.sh, chmod a+x to make it executable, and run it from the same directory as your game content directories (The script can be anywhere you want it, it automatically pulls everything from the cwd).

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:55:00 am »
You work fast mate ;)

One request.

Could you implement applying the data patch once the original files are successfully installed?

Offline MarchHare

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 02:16:39 am »
Could you implement applying the data patch once the original files are successfully installed?

That seems entirely doable.