Author Topic: [piratez] Martial Training  (Read 7621 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[piratez] Martial Training
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:00 pm »
Hi Dioxine, all,

a few questions:

1. can we use the "improve anytime" advanced option for voodoo classes and/or martial training or is it not intended for this mod?

- if yes, some translation is missing on the buttons (e.g. STR_PSI_TRAINING)

2. which stats exactly can be trained in Martial Training?

- I want to extend the GUI, so that it is more helpful and add the relevant stats (i.e. those which can improved) along with more fixes and improvements:
    * fix wrong color on deselect
    * add more columns with important stats
    * add soldiers statstrings to names
    * add reordering
    * add sorting

Thanks,
Meridian

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [piratez] Martial Training
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »
Hmm, would setting a specific advancement rate (slower or faster) be doable? The current setting is pretty fast to me.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:03:09 pm »
1. Yeah, sure, the improve anytime option is pretty balanced, as it takes 30-60 days to improve anyway. As for the martial training, the improvements are on a daily basis, so it's not even an issue.
Also, whaaaa...? The string wasn't missing in Draco's playthrough...???? It said VOODOO CLASSES there when he was playing (STR_PSIONIC_TRAINING). Are you sure it is the right string? Because even if there was no "piratey" string, there should be an original one in its place. What the hell.

2. Everything except voodoo, Reactions and Bravery, I think.

I don't know what do you mean by 'fixing' colors, but yeah, no problem.

@Solar: Martial Training speed is balanced by comparatively late access to the facility, and its low capacity.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:05:08 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »
@Solar: Martial Training speed is balanced by comparatively late access to the facility, and its low capacity.

Yes, but still I would like to see that option in. Because certain someone else would also like to use this feature, but at more reasonable rates. :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:46:22 pm »
1. Yeah, sure, the improve anytime option is pretty balanced, as it takes 30-60 days to improve anyway. As for the martial training, the improvements are on a daily basis, so it's not even an issue.
Also, whaaaa...? The string wasn't missing in Draco's playthrough...???? It said VOODOO CLASSES there when he was playing (STR_PSIONIC_TRAINING). Are you sure it is the right string? Because even if there was no "piratey" string, there should be an original one in its place. What the hell.

2. Everything except voodoo, Reactions and Bravery, I think.

I don't know what do you mean by 'fixing' colors, but yeah, no problem.

OK, I'll check that string tomorrow, really weird.

By fixing colors I mean that unselected=purple and selected=yellow.
But if you select and then deselect, you get white instead of purple.
Very minor, but to me quite annoying for some reason.

Yes, but still I would like to see that option in. Because certain someone else would also like to use this feature, but at more reasonable rates. :)

This should really be done by Yankes, I am doing improvements which don't affect rulesets.
But I can have a look and see how difficult it is and maybe make a pull request for Yankes... if implemented, it should get to main branch, otherwise there'll be chaos.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »
Yeah, Gym/Dojo trains everything except VooDoo, Bravery, and Reactions.

So it makes for an amazing off-site facility for training your B/C/however many other teams you make. You can actually outstat your main team sometimes (depending on how badly your wounded times are and casualty rate).

Also, the "Improve Anytime" advanced mod/option only affects VooDoo (which I use because it's dumb to limit yourself to month-to-month, either way the time required to improve is the same range) but doesn't matter with the Gym/Dojo (as it ticks/procs daily, like Dioxine stated).

Yeah, this was all answered by Dioxine, but there's my three cents.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »
With the option turned off however, you cannot start/stop Martial Training in the middle of the month... the button is hidden (just like the voodoo classes button).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:47:42 pm »
With the option turned off however, you cannot start/stop Martial Training in the middle of the month... the button is hidden (just like the voodoo classes button).

That's retarded. In that case, I think 'training at any time' should be the suggested option for Piratez.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:38:33 am »
OK, I'll check that string tomorrow, really weird.

@Dioxine: so, the translation string STR_PSI_TRAINING is really missing from ...\OpenXcom_XPiratez 0.97B\user\mods\Piratez\Language\en-US.yml, which is where the game takes it from.

It is present in ...\OpenXcom_XPiratez 0.97B\standard\xcom1\Language\en-US.yml together with many other small changes. You should probably just update the one in PirateZ directory with this one.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 03:47:29 pm »
Hmm, would setting a specific advancement rate (slower or faster) be doable? The current setting is pretty fast to me.

I was just looking around the code to change this, but I see that it isn't a flat +1 per day.

On the contrary, chance to improve depends on the current stat, for example:
- if your firing accuracy = 0, chance to improve is 100%
- if your firing accuracy = 10, chance to improve is 90%
- if your firing accuracy = 50, chance to improve is 50%
- if your firing accuracy = 90, chance to improve is 10%
- if your firing accuracy = 100, chance to improve is 0%

So no stat can be trained above 100 (or less if there is a lower cap for that stat).
And the better you are, the slower you train.

@Solarius: It looks quite fine to me... did you know this? If yes, what else would you like to change?

PS: also no training at all, if you're wounded

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 04:30:15 pm »
I like the dependency on how good you are already, it's consistent with other mechanics and also makes sense. I assume that it's similar for psi labs, right?

So, I would like to be able to set a... multiplier, I'd say, that modifies this final number. For example by 0.3, rounded up. This would make soldiers advance at a slower rate. This would be useful for psi labs as well. (We could also have advanced versions with better multiplier, but for late game.)

Speaking of training, it would be very nice to be able to determine which stats can be trained where. My ideal setup would be three distinct facilities:

Gym: Trains Tus, Strength, Stamina and Health.
Combat Training Facility: Trains Firing Accuracy, Melee Accuracy and Throwing Accuracy.
Psi Lab: Trains Psi Skill (and Psi Strength if you like).