Author Topic: something I realised about the aliens  (Read 5157 times)

Offline crwydryny

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
something I realised about the aliens
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:36:03 pm »
while reading about rocket science and interstella colonisation (KSP player here :) ) I realised something interesting about x-com... namely the problem many people bring up about the alien invasion.

the problem most people point out is that the aliens don't attack in force when they could easily over power us and how they never seam to develop new technologies such as armour and the likes.

what I realised is they don't because they can't. the aliens had to travel to our solar system from where ever they started. and as anyone with the basic knowledge in space travel can tell you the biggest hurdle in getting anywhere in space is delta V (changing velociety) what this boils down to is the heavier your craft the more power you need to speed up and slow down. which means that the aliens had to limit what they carried (i.e just what they needed to survive and start building for war) and when you combine this with the alien reporduction (something in the original game files that wasn't implemented into the game) which indicates that the aliens are essentially clones what this means is that a small number of aliens were on the initial ship with a bank of genetic data (or embrios) which they then had to clone to produce their army, along with elerium and manufacturing facilities to build space craft (and the alien alloys).
this would explain why during the first year before the start of the game alien activity slowly increased (they were collecting resources and building their war fleet), and as so much of their industry is set on producing weapons and ships as well as cloning soldiers to replace those destroyed/killed by x-com they don't have the resources to dedicate to research. and if they use the same technology as TFTD aliens every clone is implanted with knowledge based on his job (soldiers taught how to fight, navigators how to fly ect) meaning that they have little individuality which limits their creativity, having not learned over the course of a life time but instead getting information fed directly into their brains with no questions asked. meaning they only produce the weapons and craft that they have the information to build.

compare this to x-com. x-com does not have to worry about gathering food as we have ample supply on earth, we don't have to worry about building weapons (at least not at first) as we just buy them from arms manufactures (and later we just capture them from the aliens) we don't have to worry about soldiers as we already have 7 billion people the majority of whom are of an age and are capable enough to fight if needed (in an emergency the world's armed forces could get 15million+ troops to combat the aliens) and our old fashioned style of learning where we have to learn things as we grow by asking questions this gives us the ability to ask "what if we do this instead of that"

on top of all this the fact that earth mobilised to combat the aliens (forming kiryu kai, X-inv and finally X-com) this forced the aliens to fight before they were ready (which is why you battle sectoids the weakest aliens first, followed by floaters who are of limited combat effectiveness instead of snakemen and mutons) this would also explain the terror missions, the aliens strike cities to cause disruption (draw you away from their other activites) try to turn public opinion against the war (much like the bombing campaigns of WW2) and kill off large numbers of humans to reduce our fighting power (they can clone entire armies in a short space of time, it takes us years for a baby to grow into a combat effective soldier)

this also goes to explain why alien activity increases steadly as time goes on. initially there is only a hand full of aliens with a small number of small craft to conduct missions while as time goes on more and bigger ships start showing up (those big ships take time and resources to build, it's more efficient to build ten small ships to collect resources than one big one that could be lost while on a resource harvesting mission)
it could be argued that the aliens could have mined the outer planets for resources to build their fleets to invade earth (and they probably did) but one of the key missions they conducted on earth was... harvesting missions. they were activly harvesting earth flora and fauna for food (as indicated in the alien food research) this was their one weakness and why they were forced to fight before they were ready, they didn't have the food production facilites on mars to sustain their population (that and you need bio mass to grow clones)
this all also explains the cattle mutilation. why did the aliens only take parts of the cattle and not the whole thing??? they took what they needed the parts rich in what their diet required and dumped the rest to save weight and thus fuel while traveling in space (E-115 is a finite resource limited to only what they brought with them)

these are just some of my theories about why the first alien war went the way it did

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: something I realised about the aliens
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:51:45 pm »
Then it wasn't a very well planned invasion, was it? :)

A sound set of theories, can't really argue here (well, I haven't thought about it much yet, but there's nothing that would strike me as non-legit). There are some assumptions that this model requires, like not being able to make interstellar trips in reasonable time (Martians are on their own), but it's nothing unreasonable.

Your model confirms my own sentiment that the aliens are more of a nomadic tribe than a standing army of an interstellar empire. I'm not saying such an empire doesn't exist, only that due to the space-time it's pretty loose in composition, made up from ambitious warlord brains who operate autonomously and sometimes take personal risks. Like our Martian brain, who clearly had a bad century and was desperate for resources...

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:41:56 pm »
Technologically advanced civilization can utilize star's energy to assault the planet. Then again, current human civilization has no defense against say nano-robots or small robots at all. We cant detect their activity. I.e. a small drone can easily poison food or water supply.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:57 pm »
Technologically advanced civilization can utilize star's energy to assault the planet. Then again, current human civilization has no defense against say nano-robots or small robots at all. We cant detect their activity. I.e. a small drone can easily poison food or water supply.

What do you mean by "utilizing star's energy to assault the planet"? I presume something more than using solar powered spy drones, which is something we humans can do too, but how much more is a very broad question. Unless you meant utilizing a significant portion of the sun's output, but that brings us to level II on Kardashev scale - in other words, nothing to do here for humans.

Curiously, nanobots seem to be poor weapons. Since they are so small, they are extremely susceptible to overheating (the heavier an object, the more heat it can absorb and therefore it takes longer for 1 gram of this object to heat up), meaning even direct exposure to sunlight would toast them. Even if aliens had technomagical means of preventing this (some sort of an energy buffer?), it should be easy to come up with effective countermeasures, like heat blasts (harmless to megafauna like humans), microwaves or acid spray (due to their small size they melt very quickly). Perhaps the biggest threat would be "mechanopathogens", or nanobots which infect and destroy human bodies, but we already have procedures for dealing with biological threats.

But advanced robots could perhaps be dangerous. How much, depends on alien technology, since an efficient robotic warrior/saboteur would have to be quite smart and reliable, but I can picture swarms of Elerium-powered mechanical mini-monsters attacking people... Still, they would die en masse to small arms fire and bombardments. I think it's easier for the aliens to just clone organic warriors, since their resources seem to be greatly limited.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:00 am »
I think you're all missing the elephant in the room (perhaps on purpose). IF the goal of aliens was to destroy humanity, all they had to do was eg. to send an asteroid on a collision course (big enough to cause mass extinction, but not big enough to completely destroy life, as they'd like to use the planet in the future). For the latter reason, self-replicating bio/nano weapons are out of question - no control over them.
So, obviously, the goal was to win without even fighting. They seeded intelligence on Earth, and came to harvest. Came to assimilate, not destroy. To add Earth to their inventory. And thus, they did no military action at all - only special forces operations (Retal = assassination, pretty much all else = terrorism) to increase their diplomatic leverage and coerce human leaders to surrender, to strike a deal with the aliens. And indeed, this is their main tactic in-game. Their only problem - X-Com cannot be closed due to countries surrendering, because that would make for a very frustrating game.

Naturally, there are players who deny this reality of souvereign human countries defecting to the aliens, because they'd either like the Infiltration to be removed or reversible. However the losing outro text leaves no shadow of doubt. Humans willingly signed pacts with the aliens, and the aliens didn't exterminate them. Just... remade the planet more to their liking.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:31:43 am by Dioxine »

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:23:36 pm »
What do you mean by "utilizing star's energy to assault the planet"?
Energy allows transforming mater. So you can do pretty much anything. From terraforming to bombardment.

Curiously, nanobots seem to be poor weapons. Since they are so small, they are extremely susceptible to overheating (the heavier an object, the more heat it can absorb and therefore it takes longer for 1 gram of this object to heat up), meaning even direct exposure to sunlight would toast them.
Bacteria is a "nanobot" too, but it can withstand surprisingly high temperatures and open radiation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

So X-Com aliens are relatively low tech barbarians. In the sense they cant manipulate galaxies or even stars.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:05:37 am »
So X-Com aliens are relatively low tech barbarians. In the sense they cant manipulate galaxies or even stars.

They don't show anything to the contrary (they don't even seem to have peaceful fusion power), although this cannot be proven. Ethereals do seem like types who are poor with understanding matter and energy, good only with information. On the other hand, their relatively lo-tech approach was enough to sustain them for millions of years and, probably, conquer countless worlds. My theory is that their matter and energy tech was developed by one of the races they conquered, maybe Sectoids. Before sectoids, Ethereals maybe travelled the stars by risky and limited ways, like psionics.

Still they can win over even relatively advanced, but poorly propagated civilization by sheer number of ships and soldiers, I think. Depends on how big their empire is, but the game suggests they had very, very long time to build it up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:11:48 am by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 06:34:01 pm »
Energy allows transforming mater. So you can do pretty much anything. From terraforming to bombardment.

True, but they don't seem to display any advanced abilities concerning large-scale energy use. Elerium power sources seem to be their universal approach to powering anything, and Elerium power sources are small; there is no bigger energy machinery seen in the game, if they need more energy they just make more Elerium power sources. This is related to what you and Dioxine wrote, the aliens are pretty limited in their tech mastery (humans are not, as proven with X-Com).

Bacteria is a "nanobot" too, but it can withstand surprisingly high temperatures and open radiation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

Yeah, but then we're talking about a different kind of machine. Bacteria are not nanobots, their are at best their analogues. While we can describe a human body as a machine of sorts, a human is not a humanoid robot, since it operates on different principles.
In other words, biological beings have their advantages over mechanical ones. Bacteria have some tricks related to their chemistry and behaviour (like forming lumps of dead bacteria on the outside to protect living bacteria on the inside) that would be hard with nanorobots. I guess the most efficient nanobot would be one that lives inside human body and doesn't like going outside, but that's practically a mechanical pathogen, and as I said we can fight them to a good degree.