aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720088 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #960 on: December 01, 2016, 06:01:32 pm »
Well.. I did say I wouldn't take about this more, but since you're calling me out specifically...

Yes, you activate XComFiles after playing Piratez and boom, the proper XCF options are loaded. You then decide you want to play Piratez some more, activate it and bam, proper Piratez files. How is that not convenient for like... 99% of users? The only one left would be activate vanilla and vanilla options are reset, maybe, but vanilla options are kind of bad so...

If you load a mod that doesn't have special options (say.. one that adds an extra gun and nothing else) then nothing happens. If you load a big mod with important options, the act of enabling it changes your options only the first time you enable it only. That's pretty unintrusive to me.

Especially since, if you play two big mods, the proper way to change between then is by changing user/data/config folders, not swapping in the mod page (which makes you wait to load mods twice), so the options reset would only happen once: when you start using a new mod, unlike what I described above if you are well organized.

And honestly, if you don't want to use the options a mod creator created their mod for, I think the effort should be yours to break it. It should be as easy as possible to play with the proper options, since that's the right way to play. You want to change things? Fine, but do some work yourself.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #961 on: December 01, 2016, 07:26:24 pm »
Not quite ideal Arthanor, as it would reset the options on mod loading. This would make switching between mods a PITA.

Aren't you keeping a separate OXC install for each major mod you're using??? Strange.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #962 on: December 01, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »
Aren't you keeping a separate OXC install for each major mod you're using??? Strange.

I know some people don't (like Arthanor), and that's all right, but I also consider it a kind of an extreme sport. :P In other words, there's no need to consider it a mainstream issue - it's 2016, so sacrificing 50 or 100 MB on your hard drive for an extra copy of openxcom is not an issue for anyone.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:02 pm »
I have a series of scripts to tell the executable to use a different options.cfg for every major mod, and keep a vanilla copy of options.cfg with all my keybindings and video settings as a base for starting a new mod.  That's why the command line options for OXC were added, no?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 01, 2016, 08:30:27 pm »
I guess, as Solarius pointed out, compiling on Linux and running with bash scripts to get the user/data/config folder you want for a given executable is considered extreme. Most people with Windows will just have different folders with different installs, like an XComFiles folder which comes pre-packaged with its exe, and XPiratez folder with its own exe as well, etc. Then they make shortcuts to the different exe, instead of soft links to the different scripts that launch the same exe with different folders.

It's less efficient, but indeed, what's 100MB in 2016? And what's that efficiency thing? Or those "script" and "command line" things? It's 2016! Everything comes pre-packaged and pre-arranged so all you have to do is stick your finger onto your (touch)screen, then magic happens! If it doesn't work, tell them computer wizards they're stupid because it doesn't work, then they'll fix it.  ::)

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #965 on: December 03, 2016, 10:44:57 am »
I have just played vanilla X-COM for comparison purposes without major issues (a bunch of missing strings due to OXCE+) and am playing Terror from the deep now for the same reason (same thing plus it does not go well with some of Meridians custom colors in for example the production screen).

Why have a mod selection screen at all if you're not supposed to use it?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 03, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »
Who said you're not supposed to use it?
I am playing xcom with oxce+ myself, and I have seen a few people using oxce+ for TFTD too.

The strings can easily be added, I think someone even posted them somewhere on this forum.
TFTD support (mostly just colors) will be added in early 2017.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 03, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »
The strings can easily be added, I think someone even posted them somewhere on this forum.
TFTD support (mostly just colors) will be added in early 2017.

It would definitely help if you had some boilerplate rule for that in the OP though. "Somewhere on this forum" is not such a great resource.

Also, I have to say OXCE+ is remarkably hard to find - it took me pretty long to figure out what the difference between OXCE and OXCE+ was when I first arrived on the OXC modding scene. OXCE+ is mentioned in the OXCE mod, but then searching for it yields nothing - because it's hidden in here, in a thread vaguely called "resources and mods for X-PirateZ". Personally I think this thread should be called something including "OpenXcom Extended Plus", and it belongs in the general modding forum alongside OXCE, as it's not really specific to PirateZ.

Bottom line, OXCE+ could stand to be a little more high-profile.

It's up to you though. I'm just voicing my view on the matter.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:41:40 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 03, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »
Fully agree, although this started as just a way to share mods and music and stuff from the LP, it has grown to be so much more. OXCE+ totally deserves a thread in the modding/experiment section, so others can learn more easily of it and more people can use it (I wouldn't even play vanilla UFO or TftD without it, honestly..). Furthermore, now that XComFiles also uses it, it isn't really a Piratez thing either.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 03, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
It would definitely help if you had some boilerplate rule for that in the OP though. "Somewhere on this forum" is not such a great resource.

You know, I have to search for it too, just like you or anyone else.
Here you go: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5022.msg74118.html#msg74118

Maybe, there is even a better resource, Solarius' XFiles will have strings much more compatible with vanilla.
Let's see if he sees this and can provide his compilation.

Bottom line, OXCE+ could stand to be a little more high-profile.

OXCE+ is still a prototype and is missing exactly the things you are looking for (strings, colors, etc.).
That's why I don't advertise it much... because I don't want people complaining about it.

Good news is that it is at about 90% finished and soon I will create a non-prototype branch, with all the resources necessary.
Q1/2017.

Fully agree, although this started as just a way to share mods and music and stuff from the LP, it has grown to be so much more. OXCE+ totally deserves a thread in the modding/experiment section, so others can learn more easily of it and more people can use it (I wouldn't even play vanilla UFO or TftD without it, honestly..). Furthermore, now that XComFiles also uses it, it isn't really a Piratez thing either.

When time comes, I will ask for a separate "child board" like piratez or area 51... and put all info, resources and documentation into one place.
Q2/2017.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #970 on: December 03, 2016, 10:18:41 pm »
Here's the less-piratey version of the strings.

I omitted all Piratez-specific stuff, since this is supposed to be vanilla.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 04, 2016, 02:17:11 pm »
I have a small feature suggestion for Ufopedia:

Currently you can use the "rect_text" command to place text anywhere on the screen. However, this works only for CRAFT entries.

It would be useful to enable the   "rect_text" command also for "type_id 7" ufopedia pages (text + background image) to make nice looking entries.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #972 on: December 04, 2016, 02:32:08 pm »
+1

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 04, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
OK, should be no problem.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 05, 2016, 08:07:06 pm »
Hey, got a CTD when using OXCE+ 3.5 to play a vanilla campaign.  In the attached save, use the selected soldier to kill the reaper with AC-I auto shot.  (The mods I'm using are to fill in some of the OXCE+ strings and improved handobs, so I don't think it's one of those)  I also noticed this on a TFTD when killing 2x2 terror units sometimes, but it doesn't always happen.  You can see this in my save by hitting the reaper with a single HC-HE shot, then auto shot with the AC.

I'm posting here first to make sure it's not just an OXCE+ thing before reporting as an OXC bug.

Edit: Even more weirdness - have one of the soldiers still on the skyranger with a HC kill the reaper that's farther away, then you can safely kill the close-up reaper with AC-I without CTD.

More Edit:  Another terror mission, a bit more testing - it seems like if I get the kill with indirect fire or a near miss with explosives, it doesn't crash, but grenades do cause the crash.  Could this be a commendations thing?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:31:01 am by ohartenstein23 »