Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 732931 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2016, 07:05:34 pm »
Maybe doing the live research should return a corpse only if that unit's  corpseGeo is recoverable?

That way Piratez interrogations can still give booty (The gals keep their stuff, which makes sense). It works for XCom to be left with a corpse after interrogating aliens, unless aliens survive (which if aliens are kept would allow interrogation farming and so can't happen, or aliens are released, which also doesn't make sense). XCom should be left with a corpse. But Solarius, by setting his cultist corpses as recover: false won't be left with a corpse after interrogating cultists, as he would like.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »
That's not exactly as straightforward, as there are beings that do have recoverable corpses, but shouldn't be killed; for example a hybrid, who is pretty much a normal guy except for some details which should be studied in the lab from a corpse.
We're discussing it with Meridian on the chat and something probably will happen with it at some point. :P

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2016, 04:03:13 pm »
EDIT: I have a possible bug to report. With the "everybody fights, no-one quits" enabled, when my base was attacked, the game seemed to hung up during the equipping phase (couldn't get it to display anything else than my dog), then, after a couple of minutes, mission started, giving me no possibility to equip soldiers (the initial health damage mechanic, however, worked!). Regrettably, the attack came out of the blue and there is no save.

I had something similar now, probably what happened to you too.

If you have a crap-ton-squared items on the ground during equipment phase, changing between units and scrolling inventory lags quite a lot (1-2 seconds in my case).

I had 8 parrots, which come first in equipment, and I started clicking to get to girls.... first few times I didn't see any change (because parrots have no name and same inventory and there is no audio feedback on those buttons) and since it was already about 10 seconds of no change (8 parrots * 1-2 seconds), I thought my mouse was not working or something, so I clicked like crazy about 20 times... game accepted all clicks, and was stuck (without refresh) until all 20 clicks were processed... which took about half a minute... then I finally saw one of my girls... and recalled this comment...

As far as I can say, no bug, just slow (regardless of the "everybody fights" setting).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:06:23 pm by Meridian »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2016, 07:47:40 pm »
I've had the exact difficulty you describe meridian once or twice. I thought it was just me comp being slow. I too had a very large storage problem i was running at approximately 200 equipment items when it happened.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »
Could be a good idea to check the code what possibly could be causing such a huge lag (I'm experiencing it too). It seems however to be more dependant on the number of gals than items (hard to say really, as those go hand-in hand, so I might be wrong).

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »
I had similar problem and resolved not to activate the option again.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2016, 08:52:21 pm »
New version is up.

v2016-04-24
  + Ability to change soldier's nationality/flag (by left/right click)
  + Soldiers are buried in their default armor (nicer looking memorial)
  + Added statistical bullet conservation (as user option), more info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4062.0.html
  + You can go to final mission only with 100% fuel
  + Researching a prisoner does NOT create a corpse anymore
  + Hit log now considers stun damage too
  + Added SELL button to LOOT screen in debriefing
  + Added "Sell all" hotkey to Sell/Sack GUI (press X)

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YSkFNWUs0V1N1cEE

I had similar problem and resolved not to activate the option again.

It does not depend on the number of soldiers, or the option.
It depends purely on how much stuff is on the ground.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:54:04 pm by Meridian »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2016, 09:07:10 pm »
Woot! my option went in :D

That's not exactly as straightforward, as there are beings that do have recoverable corpses, but shouldn't be killed; for example a hybrid, who is pretty much a normal guy except for some details which should be studied in the lab from a corpse.
We're discussing it with Meridian on the chat and something probably will happen with it at some point. :P

So it was changed as previously discussed, I guess.. Which I still find weird.

It makes sense in the hybrid case (you might run an autopsy and do more research on a dead hybrid you find, but not kill one during interrogation just to get a corpse to do more research on), but I find it odd in Piratez and counter-intuitive for aliens.

In Piratez, not at least robbing them of their valuables (the old booty) seems unlikely, given that we kill, enslave or rob people generally. Maybe, knowledge as a ransom it acceptable, it still impresses me that the gals don't at least grab some of their loot/armor. I mean, you give a Marsec Bodyguard his power armor back after spending days interrogating him so he can walk away?

And with aliens, what does that represent? You let the alien get away after they tell you about stuff? XCom wouldn't do that.. Or the alien gets chopped to bits useless for autopsy during the interrogation? I guess one can make live alien interrogations automatically unlock the autopsy topic, to represent the deadly interrogation and following autopsy.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2016, 09:22:32 pm »
And with aliens, what does that represent?

The explanation possibilities are endless:
 - lock them up in alternate facility, hope for more valuable info later
 - brainwash them and make them double agents
 - VIP prisoner exchange (commander for commander)
 - interrogation was so brutal, that nobody would buy such corpse anymore (who's buying them anyway?)
 - send them to biological weapons testing facility
 - etc.

You name it... keeping a live prisoner is always better, unless they are really absolutely of no use... which I can barely imagine.

If all else fails... the option is called "SPEND items"... it should not summon items... even vanilla doesn't... this option should be even more restrictive.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »
I guess going by the option's name it makes sense indeed. It just seems to me like the previous behavior was better in Pirate and for vanilla. I guess it's one of the few things I like with the new xcom. Maybe the option should have been called "XCom:2012 style item research" or some such.

I agree that a live prisoner is more valuable than a corpse, it's just that the "disappearance" means none of that value is perceptible in the game right now, whereas at least getting corpses/loot allowed a set of stories that made sense to me.

Maybe I'll make a new "interrogations return corpses if recoverable" option. Or just let it slide.. that's much easier!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:51 pm »
I think a separate flag to set it by item would be best. Otherwise people will complain again about having to find a dead alien when you already have a live one...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »
I'd agree, something on the live alien "item" that gets checked at the end of the research project to determine if you give a corpse or not could make sense. Default true but can be used for things like your hybrid? I'd expect the number cases where you don't want a corpse to be fewer.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:29 am »
sell screen works fine! The STR_LOOT and STR_STATS are missing, though, as is the STR for the new option. What about the flags, is that usable for XPiratez?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2016, 04:02:10 am »
I think a separate flag to set it by item would be best. Otherwise people will complain again about having to find a dead alien when you already have a live one...

You can always make 'butchery' workshop option or simply give corpse info automatically if a live alien is researched.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 25, 2016, 10:44:18 am »

Seriously?
Getting a dead alien is 100000000000000000000000000000x easier than getting a live one.

sell screen works fine! The STR_LOOT and STR_STATS are missing, though, as is the STR for the new option. What about the flags, is that usable for XPiratez?

EXE doesn't contain any translations.
You can either add them into your ruleset, or wait for the next piratez version update.

Flags are usable.
There are as many nationalities as there are name files.
Just copy the "Pirate.nam" file as many times as you wish and then create a mod similar to this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4442.msg61114.html#msg61114