aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720044 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
It could be done like with Manufacturing, each item allowed a specific, custom category label (or better yet, multiple labels per item, for example laser rifle would have STR_RIFLE and STR_LASER, filter-able by both). These labels can be also used to better sort the Black Market/Fence/Vaults screens.

Yes, I was actually thinking exactly about this yesterday and wanted to ask you if you are willing to update all items.

Now, we have this hardcoded filter on Craft Equipment screen (aux, melee, short range, long range, etc.)... but I would like to softcode it using freely definable (multiple) categories.

I would then use it in:
- Craft Equipment (instead of hardcoded rules)
- Inventory (as requested here)
- Buy/Sell/Vaults/etc.
- probably ufopedia too

A shortcut from any specific item on the equip list to a proper Bootypedia page would also be useful... (a tiny '?' icon next to each item?)

That's not so easy, but I'll look into it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »
Fully agreed. Might be tricky with the Pedia, but yeah, I will tag every item, np. Good stuff.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
New version...

v2016-04-07
  + Improvements to hit log (shows also "no damage", "little damage" and "good damage"), still highly experimental
  + Bleeding indicator is now optional

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YMEdaV0xlYVg3b3M

Offline Intikhab

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2016, 02:15:54 am »
So I just rewrite new version to old version and be updated right. This is for piratez mod official bug fixes?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2016, 09:42:39 am »
So I just rewrite new version to old version and be updated right. This is for piratez mod official bug fixes?

Yes, you can just replace the executable file.
Make sure, you :
1. make a backup, just in case
2. have the latest (=compatible) version of piratez

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2016, 01:12:47 am »
Is there any chance, that something like this:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1532.0.html

gets into OXCE+ ?

The explosion ring preview is not important,  I think. However, the trajactory preview would be nice to have. So you don't have to click so often only to get this "can't do that arc" message.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2016, 11:25:19 pm »
Is there any chance, that something like this:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1532.0.html

gets into OXCE+ ?

The explosion ring preview is not important,  I think. However, the trajactory preview would be nice to have. So you don't have to click so often only to get this "can't do that arc" message.
Also they have accuracy values based on visibility... this might be interesting.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #427 on: April 11, 2016, 08:21:45 pm »
A plea to fix an age-old deficiency...
Could the Pedia read accuracyMelee and melee TU Cost from Battletype: 3 items (melee weapon) and display them, like it displays accuracies and and TU costs for ranged weapons? It would save a lot of writing for modders and a lot of reading small letters for the players... :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #428 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:54 pm »
Could the Pedia read accuracyMelee and melee TU Cost from Battletype: 3 items (melee weapon) and display them, like it displays accuracies and and TU costs for ranged weapons? It would save a lot of writing for modders and a lot of reading small letters for the players... :)

Oh yeah, that would be neat.

And I also have something. One of my missions looks like this:

Code: [Select]
  - type: CultActivityDagon
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 8
    missionWeights:
      0:
        STR_CULT_INVESTIGATION_CHURCH_OF_DAGON: 100
    regionWeights:
      0:
        REGION_DAGON: 100
    useTable: false
    researchTriggers:
      STR_CHURCH_OF_DAGON_OPERATIONS: false
    startDelay: 1200

Neat, huh? Except for the small problem that I want to have eight checks per month for this mission, since one is too little. So the block above has to be repeated eight times as type: CultActivityDagon, type: CultActivityDagon1, type: CultActivityDagon2 ...... type: CultActivityDagon7.
It would be much nicer to be able to set it under just one entry, just with multiple starts:

- type: CultActivityDagon
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 8
    missionWeights:
      0:
        STR_CULT_INVESTIGATION_CHURCH_OF_DAGON: 100
    regionWeights:
      0:
        REGION_DAGON: 100
    useTable: false
    researchTriggers:
      STR_CHURCH_OF_DAGON_OPERATIONS: false
    startDelay: 1200
    startDelay: 6000
    startDelay: 12000
    startDelay: 15000
    startDelay: 19000
    startDelay: 21000
    startDelay: 25000
    startDelay: 33000

Or something to this effect.
Of course this would mean that all missions are at the same chance to happen (here 8%), but I'm fine with that.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:06 pm »
And I also have something. One of my missions looks like this:

I don't get it... if 8% is too low the increase it to 50% for example.
And if one UFO per month is not enough, then make this mission have more than one wave.

What am I missing?

Sure no problem, makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:56:47 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2016, 10:57:21 pm »
I don't get it... if 8% is too low the increase it to 50% for example.
And if one UFO per month is not enough, then make this mission have more than one wave.

What am I missing?

That 8% has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is: I want a mission that happens 8 times per month but as a one mission entry, not 8 separate mission script entries. Because these eight mission scripts are exactly the same, except for the delay (because they're supposed to happen at different times of month).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 11, 2016, 11:04:24 pm »
That 8% has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is: I want a mission that happens 8 times per month but as a one mission entry, not 8 separate mission script entries. Because these eight mission scripts are exactly the same, except for the delay (because they're supposed to happen at different times of month).

I think Yankes has implemented something that allows you to copy stuff in ruleset without actually copying it... some referencing magic.
You can just define it once and then do 8 copies and just change the startDelay for example...

I don't have an example, but maybe look in the OXCE thread.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 12, 2016, 12:09:04 am »
I think Yankes has implemented something that allows you to copy stuff in ruleset without actually copying it... some referencing magic.
You can just define it once and then do 8 copies and just change the startDelay for example...

I don't have an example, but maybe look in the OXCE thread.
`refNode` in 2.9 It allow merge common values from two nodes. This is work around lack of `<<` that should be supported by yaml-cpp.
Example:

dummyNode: &nameOfNodeToUseElseWhere
  valueA: 1
  valueB: 2

otherNode:
  refNode: *nameOfNodeToUseElseWhere #copy `valueA` and `valueB` to `otherNode`
  valueC: 3

[ps]
This is not enabled for every node only selected ones (build in `<<` would work for every node), but `alienMissions` node have support for it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:13:45 am by Yankes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2016, 06:20:10 pm »
Hi Meridian,

As promised, I made a wishlist of possible features that Dioxiner and I pulled from documentation left by Bladum. Some of them are relatively simple, others less so, but they're all things that were deemed to be beneficial.

Here it is:

1. New flag for alien mission waves: randomTrajectory.
Description: You don't make a trajectory for the UFO. Instead, you only define missionZone, spawnZone, landingZone, maxSpeed, minSpeed and numberOfWaypoints. This creates some random trajectory using this input.
Benefit: More variation and unpredictability with UFOs, plus less gruelling work for modders.

2. Item decay.
Description: When set for an item, every day there is a chance that this item will decay (desappear). For example setting it at 0.02 for Elerium means that 2% of your Elerium will disappear per day, on average.
Benefit: Unspecified as of now, but will probably be a useful tool for modders.

3. A psiScanner flag for an item.
Description: Nakes it work just like the Motion Scanner, but using psi vision. All units are visible, regardless of movement. The palette on the scanner is swapped from green to blue (background) and from orange to purple (flashing points). Alternatively it doesn't use any interface, just makes all aliens within a set radius count as spotted (are visible in the battlescape).
Benefit: A moderately cool gadget, with possible further advances if we work on alien psi more.

4. An psiCloaking flag for an armour (directly related to psiScanner).
Description: Makes the unit invisible to psiScanners. By default set to true for mechanical units and to false for other units, but you can set it manually. This flag also disallows alien Psi attacks/psi spotting unless aliens are within LOS (same for player's Psi attacks). May also make an unit impossible to scan with a Mind Probe.
Benefit: More tactical depth (units that are invisible to psi, like HWPs), more space for new armours (cloaking).

5. Melee reactions.
Description: Enable melee weapons to react like shooting weapons. Additionally, a new flag reactionFireBonus for weapons (melee weapons here, but possibly for all weapons), that would modify the soldier's reaction tests. For example, swords would have a large reactionFireBonus, which would make attacks made by them much harder to react to. I also suggest making it a new option, named Extended Reactions.
Benefit: A direct improvement to combat mechanics. Possibly more space for new weapons.

6. New kneelBonus flag for weapons.
Description: Unhardcodes bonus to accuracy from kneeling. This flag allows you to specify how much you gain by kneeling, default 0.15 (like now). Can be negative.
Benefit: New cool weapons that need to be properly set up on the ground, like machine guns. Poor accuracy when standing, great when kneeling. On the other hand, throwing knives don't get a bonus and may actually get some penalty.

7. New kneelTime flag for weapons (only relevant if the kneelBonus flag is introduced).
Description: Unhardcodes TUs to kneel and stand. This flag allows you to set these two values.
Benefit: Can be used to balance weapons with kneelBonus.

8. New isBiological and isMechanical flags for units.
Description: You can set if your unit is mechanical or living, and therefore if it can be healed.
Benefit: Right now you can't heal big units and they never bleed. This would be a big step towards a fully realized battlefield.

9. New armorRegeneration flag for armours.
Description: Analoguous to the health recovery (see BANDIT_ARMOR_P1 from Piratez for details).
Benefit: Ensuring domination of modders over mere players Will allow for new interesting units.

10. Penalties for head wounds.
Description: Head wounds give penalty to Firing Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy and Psi Skill.
Benefit: Will add more depth to the injury system. Will also be coherent with how you lose accuracy from arm wounds (assuming it was enabled in OXC).
Possible further improvement: Unhardcoding penalties suffered due to Fatal Wounds.

11. Unloading weapon on the ground.
Description: Clicking RMB on a weapon that's on the ground unloads it (at base/pre-battle only, like pre-priming grenades).
Benefit: An obvious improvement to the UI.

12. Diversify payments by rank.
Description: Allows to specify soldier salaries by their rank.
Benefit: Proper recognition for the Commander!
Possible further improvement: Adding soldier's rank to the stats that can give bonus damage/recovery/etc. to items.

13. Dependance of research on items.
Description: Modification of needItem: true in research - if given an item name instead of the boolean, it requires that item in the stores to start research.
Benefit: More research options and less awkward tree dependencies.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2016, 08:09:35 pm »
12. Diversify payments by rank.
Description: Allows to specify soldier salaries by their rank.
Benefit: Proper recognition for the Commander!
Possible further improvement: Adding soldier's rank to the stats that can give bonus damage/recovery/etc. to items.

Would be nice, if you could chose who to promote in the first place!