aliens

Author Topic: [cause found] what potential compatibility-breaking changes in new nightlies?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
I'm using a 10-october nightly and my mod works.
If I use one of the newer nightlies (any form the current list of available nightlies), the game freezes and crashes during startup; no message given, nothing on log.

Any hint to what might be the cause?

Found this, https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3550.msg54335.html#msg54335, but it indicates stuff that i don't know: what is nextUfoCounter? spawnCountdown? liveUfos?
My alienMissions are still defined with the classic style.. which is the style that the game default ruleset seems to still use, and ruleset reference too (and other mods too).
Also i'm not using missionZone / missionSiteZone -1 anywhere (whatever the latter is); and i don't mix terror/not-terror mission in missionScripts; the only thing i do is mixing different terror mission. For example, all the STR_ALIEN_DROP_... are terror mission with only difference being the ufo waves and size of the alienDeplyment:

- type: alienInfiltration
    label: 102
    firstMonth: 0
    executionOdds: 85
    startDelay: 150
    useTable: false
    missionWeights: &missionWeightsAlienInfiltration
      0:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_SMALL: 80
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 20
      1:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_SMALL: 70
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 30
      2:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_SMALL: 60
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 40
      3:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_SMALL: 30
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 50
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_LARGE: 20
      5:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_SMALL: 10
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 60
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_LARGE: 30
      7:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 50
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_LARGE: 50
      9:
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_MEDIUM: 40
        STR_ALIEN_DROP_LARGE: 60
    regionWeights: &regionWeightsAliens
      0:
        STR_NORTH_AMERICA: 18
        STR_ARCTIC: 2
        STR_ANTARCTICA: 2
        STR_SOUTH_AMERICA: 14
        STR_EUROPE: 16
        STR_NORTH_AFRICA: 10
        STR_SOUTHERN_AFRICA: 10
        STR_CENTRAL_ASIA: 12
        STR_SOUTH_EAST_ASIA: 20
        STR_SIBERIA: 5
        STR_AUSTRALASIA: 10
        STR_PACIFIC: 5

?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:40:03 pm by robin »

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: what potential compatibility-breaking changes in new nightlies?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:20:11 pm »
Found this, https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3550.msg54335.html#msg54335, but it indicates stuff that i don't know: what is nextUfoCounter? spawnCountdown? liveUfos?
Those have to do with save game mission generation. It wouldn't have anything to do with a CTD upon startup. Not unless you are loading a specific save.

Some things I could think to check.
If you have altered the soldier rules, you might want to check the soldiers section of your rule set since that was a recent big change.
Do you have civilians with custom death sounds? This was also changed with a recent commit. https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/61c2601c628d99083669be613876b50b74e67a8e
The soldier dairies mod added the ability to add custom UFOpaedia categories. I doubt this could be an issue, but it could be something to look at.
Font handling was updated recently as well. You might want to check if you use custom fonts.
Also, did you just try loading the game without any mods? I recently had some difficulty myself with a CTD upon startup, but it turned out to be an issue with the nightly rather than my mod.

If all else fails, you could try disabling parts of the mod until you find the issue.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:28:41 pm »
Thanks. OXC work correctly if i disable the mod, so there's something in it.
Yeah the last resort is to divide the mod in parts and check them one by one. i was looking for some advice to try avoiding that long and tedious procedure.
Everything you mention seems ok on the mod.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:35:12 pm »

I don't think it is related to this post since this issue happens when the game tries to generate a mission.

Otherwise, I got no idea. :(

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:58 pm »
i did it!

i was deleting some default alien missions but i was not deleting default regions (which have those missions listed in the weights).
strange that everything worked with older nightlies; there is something on newer ones that make that situation result in startup crash.

edit:
these were the missions i was deleting:

alienMissions:
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_HARVEST
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_ABDUCTION
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_INFILTRATION
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_TERROR
  #- delete: STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION

don't know if all of them are responsible, or only a particular one (maybe alien terror?).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:09:31 pm by robin »