Author Topic: [WIP][EXPANSION]UFO: Alien Takeover  (Read 14455 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Re: [WIP][EXPANSION]UFO: Alien Takeover
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 05:39:27 pm »
I'm still working on this mod, but the progress has unfortunately been pretty slow for a few months now. So since I don't want to wait forever with publishing a WIP of this mod I was thinking to just release what I have today.
Just a question: I'm still on a old nightly, has there been any updates lately (last few months) that will make this mod incompatible in some way?

A high-level vanilla changelog from January 2016 to November 2016 can be found here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.msg75701.html#msg75701

Check if you're using any of the features that were changed.

And is the mod portal working now?

No, unfortunately the mod portal is still completely broken.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • No line of fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »
A high-level vanilla changelog from January 2016 to November 2016 can be found here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.msg75701.html#msg75701

Check if you're using any of the features that were changed.
Awesome, thank you. Seems like the mod is updated enough.

Finally, here’s version 0.1 of my strange little mod! Maybe its not so small, but its definitively a bit weird, especially in early game.

What is UFO: Alien Takeover?

UFO: Alien Takeover is a mod for openXCom that I have been working on for over a year on my free time. It adds a new storyline, new weapons, items, aliens, missions, UFOs, terrains, music and more. A lot of the vanilla stuff is also removed, but the game is still a lot longer and larger than vanilla x-com.

Warnings

-The mod is far from completed, so expect some bugs and unfinished stuff (especially ufopaedia articles and some graphics). However it should be possible to play trough the whole mod from start to finish. End game is still very unbalanced, but early and mid game should be fine. (You might want to wait until the mod is more completed)

-The mod is pretty difficult and the two hardest difficulties are not really recommended unless you are insane. Its recommended to use the easiest difficulty unless you are a x-com veteran.

-The music is a bit messed up. Not sure if its because of my computer/installation or something else. Let me know if you experience problems and I’ll fix it ASAP.

! IMPORTANT !

Options that MUST be turned on/off:
-Aggressive retaliation: NO
-Storage limits for recovered items: YES
-UFO extender accuracy: YES
-Alien weapon self-destruction: YES

Other highly recommended options for this mod:
-Autosave: YES (in case of bugs/crashes)
-Live alien sale: NO
-Instant grenades: NO
-Alternate movement methods: YES
-Alien bleeding: YES

It is not recommended to combine this mod with other mods, unless you know what you are doing.

How to install

Simply copy the folder inside the zip file to OpenXCom's /mods folder.  Then go to Options --> Mods and select "UFO: Alien Takeover"

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Hints

-In the first few missions you don’t have any good weapons. Use smoke and stay in groups of at least 3 people to survive.

Credits for included mods

This should be a complete list, but please let me know if something is missing!

Cirix, Luke83 - Alien Inventory Mod
Civilian - Tranquilizer device & KiryuKai (Laser Cannon & Guided Laser Cannon sprites)
Choasshade & Bloax - Plasma Shotgun
Clownagent - Grav module
Dioxine - Flamethrower, shovel & ax
Duke Falcon & Noel Buddy - Alien graphics for Altoids, Probe, Pincher, Venomtoad, Belcher, Aerial, Strider, Armored Floater + some Ufopedia images
Emong & Solarius Scorch - Alien Hybrid Soldiers
Fatrat - Elerium Bomb
Hellrazor, Civilian, Chaosshade - Civilian medi-kit & Ultimate Medi Kit sprites
Ivan Dogovich - Improved HandObs
Jackstraw2323 - Stims
Luke83 - Chryssalid Elder sprites
Mari - All the awesome music
MickTheMage - Raven
pWWWa - Plasma Melee Weapons (Plasma Blade & Plasma Sword)
Ran - Fusion Torch
Redv - AWACS Aircraft
Robin - Armored vest, Gazer, Waspite, Anthropod
Robin & Ryskeliini - Combat armor graphics
Rockfish - Plasma Cannon sprites
Solarius Scorch - Gauss mod (Gauss & Rail weapons, GFX by GrandSirThebus), Alien Armoury Expanded (4 new UFOs & 4 new alien weapons), Shambler and Spikeboar alien sprites
Solarius Scorch & Civilian - Recycled Alien Collection (Chtonite, Reptoid, Cerebreal) & Skymarshall
Solarius Scorch & Dioxine - Dart Rifle
Trollworkout - Weapons Melee Tech (ripper, grinder & auto-axe), Chemical Thrower & Toxi-Suit
Tyran_nick - Stormrider, Skyrider
Warboy1982 - Combat knife
Warboy1982 & Dioxine - Shotgun sprites

License information

For the stuff I have made myself – Copyleft: you have the right to freely use, modify, copy, and share on the condition that these rights be granted to all subsequent users or owners. For for non-commercial purposes only. (I would however appreciate if you let me know if you use something, because its fun to see other people use my stuff in their mods :) )

For other included mods: Ask the creator of the mod. You might also find license information for these mods on www.openxcom.com. If you want to use something and don’t know who created it, just ask :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:26:31 pm by Cooper »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 08:27:33 pm »
Hey! Nice mod IF it can work.
I tried it and it continually crashes due to incorrect typos,so cooper, if you are still alive in the forums, you should check your ruleset more properly, or I can help you by correcting such errors.

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 10:30:43 am »
*sigh*

Before i necro the thread (just a crime to the forums i might take literally), i hope you're still alive IRL Cooper so that you'll come back in future decades.

RIP this thread for the mod; 2015-2019. :'(
mod still unfinished

note:
i've also read the whole thread (5 pages and 62 posts/replies as far i assume to know. :) ).

I hope this mod will or would not be compatible with OXCE or not. I'll see eventually til the future. :-\

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2018, 02:38:29 am »
Some interesting items in this mod, i may need to download and see what i can use from it, thanks for bringing this zombie post back to life as i would never of find it otherwise.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 10:09:14 am »
@Luke83
You know he (Cooper)'s not available online as far as we say eventually. :(

Look below (Well my reply on the text): ↓
Last Active: November 25, 2018, 05:11:22 pm

And that's it. :-\

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • No line of fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »
Wow, this topic actually have several new posts, would never have thought so two years later.

About the crashes Yataka mentioned:
It was probably due to incompatibility with the nightly version. When I worked on the mod I always made sure to fix the most severe bugs.

And about the mod: Due to a computer crash, and the Media Fire download not working for a long time, the mod is most probably lost :( It's sad as I spent hundreds of hours working on it, and it got at least 80% completed. A friend of me also created music for the mod that was very, very good and fit x-com perfectly. At least there are still pictures!  :-\

But please feel free to copy any ideas from the mod: UFO designs, gameplay ideas, item names, graphics, anything.
And if someone have any other questions about the mod I'd love to answer.  :D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2019, 11:32:35 pm »
@Cooper
Wow, this topic actually have several new posts, would never have thought so two years later.

About the crashes Yataka mentioned:
It was probably due to incompatibility with the nightly version. When I worked on the mod I always made sure to fix the most severe bugs.

And about the mod: Due to a computer crash, and the Media Fire download not working for a long time, the mod is most probably lost :( It's sad as I spent hundreds of hours working on it, and it got at least 80% completed. A friend of me also created music for the mod that was very, very good and fit x-com perfectly. At least there are still pictures!  :-\

But please feel free to copy any ideas from the mod: UFO designs, gameplay ideas, item names, graphics, anything.
And if someone have any other questions about the mod I'd love to answer.  :D
Welcome back, Cooper. 8)
I salute you! :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:24 am »
I have a copy of this mod, dated to 16.12.2016. I allowed myself to upload it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0fuvxfqsfh3saev/UFO_Alien_Takeover_by_Cooper.zip/file

Cooper, please let me know if you want it removed or something.

Offline efrenespartano

• Colonel
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2019, 03:26:21 am »
I still have this mod on my old PC too, I like it very much. I hope it gets an upgrade soon.

It is great to have news of you, Cooper!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2019, 03:29:18 am »
Several of his aliens look like they may find there way into my mod, glad thid recourse is available again.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • No line of fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2019, 05:16:09 pm »
Welcome back, Cooper. 8)
I salute you! :)
Thank you!  :D

I have a copy of this mod, dated to 16.12.2016. I allowed myself to upload it here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0fuvxfqsfh3saev/UFO_Alien_Takeover_by_Cooper.zip/file

Cooper, please let me know if you want it removed or something.
Thats really awesome!  :D It's even the latest version most likely, or at least very close to it. No need to remove it! :D

I still have this mod on my old PC too, I like it very much. I hope it gets an upgrade soon.

It is great to have news of you, Cooper!
Cool! I might complete it some day, but at the moment it's just not possible for various reasons :( But who knows what might happen in the future..

Several of his aliens look like they may find there way into my mod, glad thid recourse is available again.
I'm really glad that the resources I spent hundreds of hours making can be used in more up to date mods!

So for those who have played this, how far did you get? Was it too difficult in the beginning playing with melee only?

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2019, 11:30:32 pm »
@Cooper
Thank you!  :D
You're welcome. :)
I'd better get back to reading OXC forums next time then or this time then (if i lost some reading to do on others); due to my human wake-up issues. 😩

Have fun with your threads and your mod/projects! ;)