aliens

Author Topic: Underwater terrain in UFO?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Underwater terrain in UFO?
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »
Since the engine now supports both UFO Defence and TFTD, I wonder if it would be possible to add 'underwater' properties to a terrain in UFO? Has anyone tried that? Simply adding 'depth' property to a terrain crashes the game instantly. Is this moddable by a ruleset at all, or are the two games separated at code level?
(the Ambience function is awesome too, but it does crash UFO maps as well - probably failing to find a sound file?).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:09:40 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater terrain in UFO?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:56 pm »
Since the engine now supports both UFO Defence and TFTD, I wonder if it would be possible to add 'underwater' properties to a terrain in UFO? Has anyone tried that? Simply adding 'depth' property to a terrain crashes the game instantly. Is this moddable by a ruleset at all, or are the two games separated at code level?
(the Ambience function is awesome too, but it does crash UFO maps as well - probably failing to find a sound file?).

I remember a discussion where the conclusion was that it would easier to start with TFTD and add to it the UFO terrains.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:59:28 pm »
Yeah quite probably, since above water terrains are perfectly well supported by TFTD :) But let's assume I don't want to mess with globe textures or things like that, just make a standalone underwater map? (or failing that, just add ambience sounds?)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:12 pm »
Yeah quite probably, since above water terrains are perfectly well supported by TFTD :) But let's assume I don't want to mess with globe textures or things like that, just make a standalone underwater map? (or failing that, just add ambience sounds?)

You only need to mess around with globe textures if you want to. You could simply create a number of missionSites in the middle of the ocean and set those to use the underwater terrains. Or the other way around, add missionSites on land using TFTD.

But if you want to have UFOs/USOs on those areas, then you'll need to add the ocean (in UFO) or the land (in TFTD) textures. And it should be easier to do it from TFTD, since most of Earth is covered by water and the mechanics will work better.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:10 pm »

Impossible. Depth isn't generated on-the-fly, it requires underwater resources (palettes, sounds, etc) which only TFTD has, so yeah, instant crash.
Ambience on its own shoooooooooould work fine though? I don't know, Warboy will probably prove me wrong. :P

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »
Ambience on its own shoooooooooould work fine though? I don't know, Warboy will probably prove me wrong. :P

It should be. I'm using in my mod right now. Maybe it's an Extended issue?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:54:49 am »
More like, undefined sound issue... I will check your mod out to find out :)
Thanks for the answers.