Author Topic: [TFTD] Combo Patch v1.8 (updated September, 10th)  (Read 15379 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] Combo Patch v1.8 (updated September, 10th)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »
Should be still relevant.

Offline 5taras

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 08:59:07 am »
Should be still relevant.
Where to put it? thanks

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »
Hi. Thank you very much for this data patch.

I also wanted to use the patch from the extras section of the downloads page, and it appears that there are several files which are present both in that patch and this combo patch. Most of them are identical save for these three ones: ENTRY03.MAP, GRUNGE08.MAP and GRUNGE09.MAP. I decided to inspect the differences in the files and post the results of the analysis here.
  • ENTRY03.MAP: Compared to the file from Extras, the file from the Combo Patch adds a "railing" object to the second level of one of the "tower" structures located on the seabed level of Alien Colonies, and also removes a wall looking towards the second "tower" (which is connected to the first one by a corridor). This looks like a viable change but it also seems to break the symmetry with the opposite "tower". The Extras patch doesn't have the "railing" and the wall is present in the proper place (compared to its misplaced position 1 tile to the north in the original version). See the screenshot for a clearer explanation.
  • GRUNGE08.MAP: The Combo Patch version additionally removes an object from a tile (see screenshot). This object doesn't seem to block any paths, but could probably prevent stepping on this tile (I haven't checked myself).
  • GRUNGE09.MAP: Similar to GRUNGE08.MAP, there is an extra object placed on one of the tiles which may prevent stepping on it but does not block paths. This time, however, the extra object is removed in the Extras patch but is present in the Combo Patch.
TL;DR: The differences between the files are quite minor and it is safe to install one patch on top of the other in any order. However, for OCD people like myself, I'd recommend using the following versions of the files: ENTRY03.MAP from the Extras patch, GRUNGE08.MAP from the Combo Patch, and GRUNGE09.MAP from the Extras patch again. Though, again, the differences are so minor most players won't probably notice.

I'm attaching an archive which contains files from both patches combined; the three files which differ between the patches have been selected according to my comment above. I do not take any credit for this work and respect the authors of the original patches. Also, kudos to whoever made the MapView tool which I used to analyze the files.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:00 pm »
It's benn rather long since i made this changes...
What I corrected mostly were

-floor holes in the grunge maps
-missing tiles
-blocking objects

the first  change you mentioned was actually one of the first i ever made  :D that railing was clearly in the wrong position...

Good work and keep them updates coming, player701!

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 01:53:33 pm »
Just to clarify, my intention was not to provide any further updates but rather analyze how well the Combo Patch and the Extras patch mixed together. However, if I encounter some kind of glitch in a map during my playthroughs, I will see what I can do. Not sure how easy it is to find any, though - considering that these patches have existed for quite some time by now and received several updates since their first releases. I'm also not very experienced in working with the game files, and know little about various tools which can be used to edit them (UFOpaedia has been of immense help though).