Author Topic: Humans: tallest species in the galaxy! (standHeight, kneelHeight)  (Read 10750 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Humans: tallest species in the galaxy! (standHeight, kneelHeight)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 01:19:18 am »
I strongly disagree, mediocre to what? Saturn or Jupiter that will never bear life (or maybe not??)?
Saturn's gravity is actually lower than Earth's. Even the red dwarf Proxima Centauri is only just over 5G. Planets, even those bigger than Earth, tend to be less dense. But even if they are the same density, increasing their volume does not increase the gravity as fast as you might think.

Mars probably has a more "medium" gravity, it's about 38% of Earth gravity. Martians might say that Earth's gravity is 2.6A.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 01:34:58 am »
Saturn's gravity is actually lower than Earth's.

Actually it's a little higher, at 1.07 g :) At least Wikipedia says so.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 02:32:20 am »
Saturn's gravity is actually lower than Earth's. Even the red dwarf Proxima Centauri is only just over 5G. Planets, even those bigger than Earth, tend to be less dense. But even if they are the same density, increasing their volume does not increase the gravity as fast as you might think.

Mars probably has a more "medium" gravity, it's about 38% of Earth gravity. Martians might say that Earth's gravity is 2.6A.
Good point, probably using gas giants as example wasn't best thing.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:18 am »
Actually it's a little higher, at 1.07 g :) At least Wikipedia says so.
I guess you're right. I remember older data from my childhood. Well the important point is that Saturn's gravity is about the same as Earth's.

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:54 am »
I am not quite sure my english is widely developed enough to explain complex things on complex level. Gravity is not a force but the summary of forces what usually has a vector point toward a mass core. This mass could be either mater-concentration or extreme energy-flux as both result a special "trigger"-force what is the gravity in common sense. There are another gravity what is the weakest existing force between sub-atomic or atomic things although become exponentially stronger as the amount ouf such little things are grow. More atoms result stronger force, literally gravitic force, but this force is not what we call gravity. And gravity of a planet or any kind of matter-energy conflux is not constant. Gravity is weaker on the edge and become sligthly stronger toward the center. In Earth's case it is not much a deal as it always remain around 1G still the planetary core has a stronger gravity. In a gas giant like the Jupiter this is more spectacular as the upper levels has lower gravity than Earth while deeper levels has higher. But the atomic-level-based gravitic force of Jupiter is far superior and boost the overall gravity of the planet. Yes, it consists of gas but so many gas atoms that the atomic-level gravity is very high. High enough to result an almost hard planetary core, well more liquid core, of course. Earth has heavier elements but the number of atoms are lower than in Jupiter's case. Fewer atoms result less gravity. But I really think the two force need different names. Sure one is derivate from the other and strong bonds could find between them but there are also serious differences. And not to mention that one of them could bend or warp the space, like when you touch water's surface with your finger, when the other is the result of such "warp" as things literally slip or slide down toward the core of the warped area. And there are even factors of strings, and other sub-sub-atomic things.
Sorry if it were a bit consfusing or dizzy but I not learned scientific english deeply. I hope I could written it more or less understandable.
There is no real example what is great or small and thus I meant mediocre on a hipothetical level. Since humanity like to think that everything's measure is men I thought it could be a good example to use our planet and all it's datas as mediocre or average. Afterall what is smaller than our gravity we call low-G while what is higher we call high-G. So while not call ours as mediocre or average? I know it was a wrong example as it was a humanic example. We are only cosmic dust in a nameless wind somewhere in an unbelieveable big universe so all of our measurments are selfish and futile.