Author Topic: No way in hell  (Read 20974 times)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
Re: No way in hell
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 12:47:55 pm »
The best solution would of course be implementing pain sounds ~ ala Doom ~ so that hits can be identified.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 11:29:48 pm »
The best solution would of course be implementing pain sounds ~ ala Doom ~ so that hits can be identified.
There are several orthogonal solutions:
1. hit points flying out of the damaged unit, like in final fantasy games.
2. info window, exposing all the dice rolls the game engine makes.
3. hit animation. I.e. displace damaged unit for a second.
4. sound. (having just them will offend the deaf users)
5. blood and gibs.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 12:07:43 pm »
Causing no damage is not a bug, it's a probability. 4 hits in a row which don't cause visible damage is not a proof of anything. If you have doubts, put some logging code, which prints out the damage rolls (min, max, randomly picked). When If you experience  a suspicious series of events, look at the logs.
I might look that up next time I see it happen. Now I often see a unit survive hits that seem odd but I understand that's chance, for instance a sectoid once survived two hits from a laser rifle. But I have seen units sometimes survive ridiculous amounts of assault, and always while next to a solid object that could be providing some sort of occlusion bug. The most grievous instance happened when a silacoid survived four heavy laser snapshots (from my improved heavy lasers), 4 hits from a heavy auto-laser, 7 hits from a laser rifle, 18 hits from a laser auto-pistol, and 3 hits from a cannon tank. The silacoid decided to pop in to say hi and the aliens' turn ended with it surrounded by my soldiers. Now all my weapon power values were edited, but I know that all of these weapons were capable of penetrating silacoid armor because I killed all of the other silacoids in the site, including that one--after it moved.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
3,4,5 in some combo. 1 & 2 not really - too much info, info a player should not have.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 06:37:06 am »
3,4,5 in some combo. 1 & 2 not really - too much info, info a player should not have.
The weapon efficiency should be exposed somehow. I.e. what firepower would be enough to take down UFO walls or some heavy armored alien?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 11:37:08 am »
The weapon's damage value is exposed in the ufopedia. The resistance-value of ufo-walls and such things would be nice there, too, yes.