aliens

Author Topic: Fuel hacks and tips needed  (Read 3018 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fuel hacks and tips needed
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:59:52 pm »
I am looking for any advice regarding altering the way craft spend fuel.

I know one trick already: craft consume 1 unit of conventional fuel per 10 minutes per 100 knots rounded down. This means that the Skyranger which has a top speed of 760 knots will spend 7 fuel per 10 minutes when in flight, and 3 per 10 minutes while patrolling. This gives the Skyranger a significantly greater range than a craft with the same amount of fuel but a speed of 600 knots, even though both would patrol for the same length of time. You can use this knowledge to set speeds strategically to increase or decrease a craft's fuel efficiency somewhat. This doesn't work for Elerium craft as they spend 1 fuel (1/5th Elerium-115) per 10 minutes regardless of speed, and patrolling will not reduce this.

I am looking for some other ways to alter fuel usage:
1.) increase or decrease a craft's patrol velocity or the percentage of max velocity at which it patrols
2.) increase or decrease the craft's fuel usage rate, especially for Elerium craft
3.) increase or decrease the amount of fuel a craft gets per unit of Elerium-115
4.) alter the rate at which a craft refuels

If you have solutions to any of these, or know anything else useful about craft fuel, please share!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Fuel hacks and tips needed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »
I'm not sure if your assertions are right, but to simply alter the rate of elerium burn, you only need to alter 4) (refuel rate). The higher it will be, the more virtual Fuel you'll get per singe Elerium unit (default rate is 5).

This is governed in craft's entry by:
Code: [Select]
    refuelRate: 30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:12:04 pm »
I'll have to try it but I think they'll just use up elerium faster that way.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:47:59 pm »
That works!

If I set the refuel rate to a different value, it alters how much fuel the craft gains per 30 minute cycle, but does not alter how much Elerium is spent to refuel it! This will be very useful to me indeed. I am going to make some ships use Elerium fuel faster than others. I guess as a nice touch they will just so happen to also take longer to refuel.