aliens

Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328727 times)

misterx

Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #465 on: November 29, 2019, 09:00:39 pm »
You can buy a wrench to research after researching "Tools & blades".

Thanks, I'm afraid for the stapler I think I have to salvage it instead

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2019, 10:44:14 pm »
Stapler are like a 100% drop for the warehouse missions.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 12, 2019, 09:34:45 pm »
You get a wrench automatically if you go with the slave soldiers path, AFAIK, and yes, a stapler is pretty much guaranteed on any warehouse mission. You can also get a wrench way early by attacking landed laborer and mining ships, too, they're pretty much guaranteed to drop one.

One mission that I think need some tuning is infested cellar, at least in the early game when you don't have proper armor, depending on what you end up finding down there, you can end up losing precious soldiers early on for some rather meager loot.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2019, 03:37:02 pm »
The cellar requires only 2 or 3 Barb (s) armors minimum. Put you can go with 5 Barb S and one strong gal with both hands free to swing a pickax.

It's good enough to get you through the mission provided you body-block and shieldwall the rats.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 13, 2019, 04:08:05 pm »
i had two infested cellars so far. you can block off some routes with molotovs, while shotgunning any rats in sight.
i never used the pickaxe, are there hidden rooms?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:01 pm »
Sometimes some parts of the cellar spawns unconnected with rats inside. Without pickax you can't get in and consequently you will have to abort the mission.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 17, 2019, 04:24:24 am »
Sometimes some parts of the cellar spawns unconnected with rats inside. Without pickax you can't get in and consequently you will have to abort the mission.

The mission spawns a pickaxe at the front entrance so you would only need to abort if you don't have any units that could actually use it.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2019, 09:30:12 am »
If you go full 6 Barb S, yes, that will happen.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 19, 2019, 01:07:05 am »
A pike can be used one handed to break through the cellar walls instead of the 2 handed pickaxe or hammer but one has to remember to bring it along.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 19, 2019, 01:23:07 am »
I mean you could still theoretically be forced to abort if the only units you have remaining cannot use items at all like dogs but things must have gone terribly wrong at that point.

Offline Bonkus72

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2020, 04:49:09 am »
Been away for a while, started up a new game.  On my 3rd month on Blackbeard and am getting hammered by stuff I'm just not prepared to take on- The Sapce Zombie guys, The Prepper guys, and some Raiders.  Admittedly I've been putzing around and mostly just interrogating w/ the 6 brainers I've rounded up.  Is the types of enemies I'm seeing this early normal?  Are the enemy types I see random, or is it triggered by how much research I've done/monthly Infamy rating, or something else?  Not complaining, just curious if there's a way I can take my sweet time researching without having to feel pressured to get awesomer guns and ships ASAP.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
Yes, these sound like typical low-tier enemies. Not the lowest tier, but still pretty basic - the kind that does early pogroms.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2020, 03:02:23 pm »
Until you've researched "Mutant Alliance" you can ignore all pogroms.
Those Pogroms are named with (Freelance) so it's up to you to try your luck. If you visit the site and abort the mission you'll get punished with the negative score tho.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41:30 pm »
@Bonkus
Please be more specific on what enemies give you trouble. The enemies you mentioned are totally normal. It's somewhat random who you encounter (zombies especially), and it has nothing to do with your score.
What affects missions in what way:
Score - no influence whatsoever.
Research - unlocks a specific mission, doesn't change difficulty of other missions. These missions are *additional* to the other missions, so if you reasearch them and not do them is the same as if you would just research them later. Most of these missions have no penalty for not doing them. If they have, it is mentioned in the description.
Time - can change the difficulty of some missions. For example mutant progroms can have tougher factions later on, megapol change to plasma weapons at some point. However, most missions have no change in difficulty with passing time. Time also affacts which missions spawn. Easy missions like watchtower and save a sister become rare as time passes, while base attacks become more frequent.

Now some details about the things you mentioned:

Zombies - I assume it's the scientific eperiment mission where you encountered them. And yes, they are a pain and a totally legit reason to gtfo. The real problem of this mission is the Strix zombie and the cryssalid(s), and they will keep beeing a problem for a long time.

Preppers - I assume you mean the prepper bunker mission. These can come with bandits, spartans or zombies. Bandits and spartans should be managable, about the same difficulty as a pogrom. What exactly gives you problems with these? For spartans, the hunting bow with poison arrows is useful. Spartans have kevlar armor that stops bullets, but they have no resistance to poison.

Raiders - They are mutants like your gals and just as sturdy. Armor is high enough that shotguns don't do much damage, so you lack the weaponry to take them down fast. Here, the right tech helps a lot. Again, hunting bows with poison arrows work wonders. A major benefit of the poison arrows is that they have reaction disrupt. That means if they do damage, the target gets drained of tu and is then unable to reaction fire. Beeing able to turn off reaction fire on enemies is really helpful to keep your gals out of harms way.

For tech progression: An important aspect of brainers is that research gives score, and score gives money. In fact, brainers generate roughly as much score/money as their upkeep costs, which means that brainers actually cost *no* upkeep. That beeing said, you should get as many brainers as you have lab space as soon as possible. And then research and build the personal labs.
How fast do you need to research to not get into trouble? Depends on what missions RNG spawns for you. What can end your game is a negative score, or a base assault. Your early melee weapons (+javelins) are strong enough to deal with most things that come knocking at your base, so a base assault will most likely not kill you. Weapon research is not that important.
Negative score is much more dangerous and can be avoided by having many brainers researching things, no matter what they research. They just need to generate score. The RNG part of negative score is the excavator missions, that generate a lot of negative points if you don't see them and deal with them. To prevent this, you need to expand your radar coverage or get enough score from missions and research that you can take a hit.

What to research?
As mentioned, the hunting bow with poison arrows is pretty good and quite essential to deal with raiders. Other than that, I recommend to get bounty hunting as soon as possible. You get extra missions, and the tokens unlock weapons that cover most of your needs. Specifically, the magnum covers all your longrange needs. Confederate gear gives you the electric lasso, which can deal with most armored things you encounter. And you also get the heavy pistol, which is very similar to a magnum (but not as good at range) in case you don't have these yet.
What also increases your firepower is to get a higher capacity transport. Contacts: car thieves unlocks the blowfish, which is slower than the airbus but carries 8 instead of 6. But here the right time to research depends on your financial situation, since the research is useless if you don't have the cash to buy the craft. Same goes for overcharged radar.
To make more money, chateau and gambling are the important techs. Once you have chateau researched and have enough apples, get as many runts as you have workshop space. Gambling roughly doubles your money on average if you sell the coupons. If you redeem the coupons that you can, the items you get are worth more (on average) than the coupon itself, and you get a few nice toys here and there.
I also value contacts: smugglers. This unlocks electro flares and cattle prods, as well as seagull missiles.

Edit: I forgot to mention armors. Warrior armor is the fastest significant upgrade, anything substantially better is quite far away (tac armor). Combine the warrior armor with a riot shield or a wheeled machine gun, and you have enough protection from bullets that shotguns pretty much can't damage you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:44:44 pm by Eddie »

Offline Bonkus72

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 12, 2020, 11:56:58 pm »
@Eddie  Thanks for the info.

What is/was giving me problems was Bunker missions with Spartans raining down grenades turn 1 and killing/badly injuring most gals (even if I spread em out a lot, seems like they have 4 of the damn launchers AND a light machinegun)  ALSO finding Zombies in more than just Experiment missions; had a few Temple Raid missions where I'm totally not expecting zombies going in and bring the absolute wrong loadout.  The Raiders arent a real problem, it's just the weapons I'm using arent up to par for what I'm facing; Ramshackle Rifles and Domestic Shotguns arent the best thing to use against them. 

Never bothered with bows before, though I have been using them in the version but haven't gotten poison researched yet.  When I had played in versions past I'd just rush to boarding guns and Tac armor as soon as I could and that was enough for most missions into mid game. 

Only issues I ever have with Pogroms was if there was an armored car in the first 2, it's so early on that I never have anything strong enough to take it out.