aliens

Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328814 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2019, 06:07:24 pm »
Shotguns are the go-to weapons for hands with bad aiming. Even with AP or later HEAT ammo even the worst gal can hit with them.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2019, 07:02:17 pm »
@Eddie
If DEagle is so good(and it is good) - why even use shotgun? Deagle kills anything not armored as well.

Deagle can't kill a blood dog in 32 tu. Double barrel shotgun can. Seriously, the burst damge of the double barrel autoshot (and sawed off) is crazy!
And as Rince Wind mentioned, shotguns require no skill for good results. Even with skill, for anything not armored and less than 15 tiles away a shotgun does the most damage.

Also, reliability. Point a shotgun at a ratman at 5 tiles distance. 100% it dies in one shot. The deagle can miss, AND you can have a low damage roll. From the damage roll alone you have about 25% chance of not killing the ratman in one hit.

I tried to do the math to compare weapon damage output. Even at 15 tiles distance, shotguns (double barrel, heavy, military) have about double the dps of a deagle (snapshot, unarmored target, buckshot). Funny enough, dps of double barrel, heavy and military is quite close.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:18:35 pm by Eddie »

niculinux

« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2019, 10:47:30 pm »
OK, made in October 2602, i discovered the air musket (a ppor man's version of the battle rifle, ho to get my hands on it sooner or later) it 's like a big flintlock pistol but with decent accuracy. Equipped it onboard, more convvenient than boarding guns which anyway i keep on board  ;D Actually i never paid attention but savvy girls are often to be found in guild warehouses and church temples  the description says these are skilled thief so they hope to steal something. That laslock pistol are fine, but thise i-Gun have a very fashinatin damage but due to poor range i prefet them in close combat.

Also have equipped airbus for infiltration missions, with NERF laserpistols and laslock shotguns; as for bounties i have  reached 300 circa goblin zaxx coins, though the military supplies theyre asking worth 1250  :o :o don't know if by the end of the year i will earn that. Ive akso some dynamite bundle and LASSes. I may try to attack church hideout; but currently i've not secured new weapons 😢 maybe the church may have interesting hardware...

Edit: Again thanks for your advices on shotguns. Maybe im a strange guy but i tend to pefer jack-of-all-trades-weapons since don't wanna go mad by doing to much micromanagement with a ton of different weapons  :o
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:16:07 pm by niculinux »

niculinux

« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:02 pm »
OK guys made in Jaunary 2603 and upgraded to 0.99J10 to 011, at the very end od decembre 2602 (31 few hours before midnight) ! But then...cmae first crackdown ever, lead incredibly by star gods themselvess!!!  :o :o Well with my equipment and weaponry i have asolutely no chance againsta them, so please, may you tellm me how to edit mi .sav file to remove the crackdown? I've attached a couple of saved games, before and during the happening. Please if don't want answer here send me a PM, otherwise this may be mean the end of my "guide" :'( :'(

As for general gameplay, i've reached goblin zaxx's military supplies, but lacking of some advanced armor.

Question: how is suypposed zaxx biunty mission "escape tower"? I manage to kill the human mage and some brigands, but the briefings tells about also is wife is meant to be killed, but i did not find her in the map?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:35:38 pm by niculinux »

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2019, 06:46:37 pm »
You fucked up anyway, you need to progress faster through the tech tree. Star Gods are toughest foes by far with the tech you have you stand no chance.

niculinux

« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2019, 06:48:27 pm »
You fucked up anyway, you need to progress faster through the tech tree. Star Gods are toughest foes by far with the tech you have you stand no chance.

So there is no other way that starting a new game? Oh...well maybe enemy progression needs to be somewhat reworked to be more gradual I hope  :'(

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2019, 08:12:08 pm »
Well sometimes it's just the RNG kicking you in the nuts, it's entirely possible to have really bad things happen really early.  Other times you might go years before you see any star gods/mercs.  I can't look at your save since I don't have xcom loaded on this computer so all I can do is offer some basic general advice.  Early on you want to get as many brainers as you can afford, keeping in mind their monthly salary (ideally max number possible).  This will let you advance your tech so you can deal with most stuff sooner rather than later.  Even with endgame tech stargods are a pain in the ass.  Some stuff that helps with early tough crackdowns are explosives, chem/poison gas weapons, hallucinogen grenades, incendiary weapons, and appropriate melee weapons can get the job done most of the time.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2019, 08:45:07 pm »
So there is no other way that starting a new game? Oh...well maybe enemy progression needs to be somewhat reworked to be more gradual I hope  :'(
The progression is fine. You still have 3 brainers 3 years in, that's your problem. Playing on the max difficulty doesn't help either.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
Brainers are a must. You do not engage in piracy, bootlegging, slavery and pimpcraft to get rich in this game, you do it to support your expensive research. You should have a coupple of Study Rooms in secondary research base by the start of second year. Highest difficulty actually makes this easier, more enemies = more captives, more loot, more points = more cash.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »
Ye, the early game is pretty much all about keeping your gals alive and getting enough money to hire and maintain your brainers. You can kinda slow down when you get yourself around 10 brainers, in my experience (because you'll also need money for ammunition, vessels and materials to craft stuff). I dont think you really need a secondary base done by then, but its recommended that you do, just at least so you dont get a game over if you get trashed in a crackdown.

Anyway, the RNG can always screw you. In a past version I clearly remember being raided by the dark ones in the second year, hell baron and all, and only surviving by abusing good melee gals with tech blades.

A decent strat to deal with pretty much any crackdown other than the star gods themselves is to have a team of voodoo skilled gals with heartstopper staves. You can then scout the enemies around the base using dogs or other more disposable units and then smack them with wololo until they die. Its pretty good against merc crackdowns, which are otherwise pretty dificult, though you'll still need to take out the hovertank they'll inevitably bring, so you should always have anti armor and concussive damage weapons avaliable, the ones that don't need an arc to fire, at least.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:12:28 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2019, 02:16:09 pm »
Firing a rocket droping satchel charge into the hangar also helps. Some players even recomended suicide bombers.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2019, 09:13:03 pm »
Suicide bombers work ok if you're desperate in hard crackdowns, though there's still the problem of reaction fire. I guess you could send in some dogs to draw fire and then send your bomber in with a pair of primed satchel charges. Maybe even keep a flashbanger slave just for that purpose.

Also, since bases now count as underground, and so you can't use tanks on them, can we still use our own tanks during crackdowns? I haven't tested the new version yet.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2019, 01:11:26 am »
Hopefully so, the gals have to be able to quickly and easily transfer them from storage and load then into a craft

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2019, 03:39:01 am »
Suicide bombers work ok if you're desperate in hard crackdowns, though there's still the problem of reaction fire. I guess you could send in some dogs to draw fire and then send your bomber in with a pair of primed satchel charges. Maybe even keep a flashbanger slave just for that purpose.
snip

If your using suicide bomber tactics, do it with dogs, they may not have much inventory or str, but its nuff for a few preprimed explosives.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2019, 07:08:52 pm »
I, for one, would greatly enjoy suicide parrots