Author Topic: UFO upgrades  (Read 100894 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: UFO upgrades
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »

Moriarty:
By Externalise , what do you mean ( sorry i have been out of the loop for so long)??? When i started this project, only original map formats were possible, so my mods had to fall within these rules, if their is new options now i dont have a working understanding of them :-[ 

yeah, I meant the TERRAIN\U_EXT02.pck and .tab - I think they do have different sizes, though, so I thought you did change somthing about them?

with "externalize" I meant that the graphics or other necessary files don't change original files, but go in the "resources" folder, with the ruleset file telling OX where to look for them. It is one of the latest and coolest changes/additions that warboy implemented, and to be honest, I don't have a complete grasp of this yet either... but if you say that the inclusion of U_EXT02 was an accident, I guess it doesn't matter at all :P

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »
1 am 90% sure,  i will confirm this weekend :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2013, 06:29:47 am »
with "externalize" I meant that the graphics or other necessary files don't change original files, but go in the "resources" folder, with the ruleset file telling OX where to look for them. It is one of the latest and coolest changes/additions that warboy implemented, and to be honest, I don't have a complete grasp of this yet either...

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,430.msg11996.html#msg11996
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:46:11 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
Since PMPROG has started working on Mapview  i have almost finished the Terror Units UFOs so there almost ready for testing, now don't expect 10 of each type now i am getting up to the big ones, to start with i will try to complete the set with 4 of each of the final 2 ufos , then i need to support any other "Unused " UFOs i can find in my original game install to bring them to life , as such Coders be warned , in the near future i will need to able able to specify new UFoPEdia entries, UFO combat images of any new designs and add new ships when needed :P

Once all normal UFOs are done, Pyramid ufos are next. As some of you know, i am planning a few changes to them.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2013, 03:03:33 pm »
you might be pleased to know, i've already coded in functionality to add new sprites for new UFO types, for interception AND ufopaedia entries.

example as follows:

Code: [Select]
ufos:
  - type: STR_SMALL_SCOUT
    modSprite: smallScoutSprite
extraSprites:
  - type: smallScoutSprite
    width: 160
    height: 52
    singleImage: true
    files:
      0: Resources/Mods/smallScout.png

make sure you use the geoscape palette, and have fun ;)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2013, 03:10:22 pm »
Excellent so the only thing holding me back is time ;)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2013, 08:17:55 am »
I believe there is a "hole" in one of the inner walls on one of your Large Scouts.  When you open the door, you can see into the center room.  Maybe it's intentional, but it doesn't look like it should be.

Thanks.  Really enjoy the variety in the ships and looking forward to when you can complete the set.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:23:13 am by wsmithjr »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:23 am »
I will have another look at these UFO soon to try to track that error.

Next set is built but not tested, do you want to save me the time and do the testing for me?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:00:02 am by luke83 »

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »
I dunno about some of these, the original made a point of having every ship have the power sources in the exact center of the UFO, or equidistant from it when there's several. Which made sense since elerium generates anti-gravity waves and you'd want that affecting the center of gravity evenly lest your ship get snapped in half by conflicting forces.

They were also generally kept out of the way, to the side of the main corridors, presumably so they wouldn't get caught in crossfire so much, but alien ergonomics certainly aren't flawless...

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:24 am »
Next set is built but not tested, do you want to save me the time and do the testing for me?

Sure, I'd be happy to test ... except I can't for the next two weeks as I'm away for work.  But, would be happy to fiddle with them when I get a chance.

I dunno about some of these, the original made a point of having every ship have the power sources in the exact center of the UFO, or equidistant from it when there's several. Which made sense since elerium generates anti-gravity waves and you'd want that affecting the center of gravity evenly lest your ship get snapped in half by conflicting forces.

They were also generally kept out of the way, to the side of the main corridors, presumably so they wouldn't get caught in crossfire so much, but alien ergonomics certainly aren't flawless...

Well, yeah.  I didn't/don't think much about the physics of the things.  I just like the variety and having different situations to deal with each time rather than assaulting the exact same ship for the 100th time this month.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2013, 09:13:57 am »
Well, yeah.  I didn't/don't think much about the physics of the things.  I just like the variety and having different situations to deal with each time rather than assaulting the exact same ship for the 100th time this month.

Its a game, who cares :) i am with you wsmitchjr , i am sick and tired of seeing the same UFO's , this is why i started this mod set. If you disagree on a certain design , turn it off in your ruleset OR change it and share it with the community. I am more than happy to add anyone else's UFO's to this set IF there fully compatible.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2013, 10:51:07 am »
Luke is always right when you see all the great things he's bringing to us soon yippeee ;D

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2013, 11:30:21 am »
Luke is always right when you see all the great things he's bringing to us soon yippeee ;D
Thats cant be  true, my wife tells me i am always wrong about everything....Everyone has different tastes in everything, i tried to keep things here simply to try to please the maximum amount of people, but you can never fully please everybody.

I also wouldnt say i am "Bringing them to you" all my work requires other peoples skills also so dont forget to thank the rest of the community also :P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:32:11 am by luke83 »

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2013, 10:41:05 pm »
Sorry, me again  ???

I tried installing your mod. I use the newest GIT-Version and copied all file according to the ReadMe.

Ufo starts fine, i can use Geoscape the Base and I can shoot dowbn ufos, but as soon as a try to land at a crashsite, Ufo quits with "vector:: _M_range_check"
Anyone had this error before and knows what to do?

greetz
Hadan

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:56 pm »
I use to get that error YEARS back ( when i first started this project) from memory , my rule-set had some errors.

There is a TEST version of the newest UFO online as someone was testing them for me, so feel free to download these yourself as there is a new ruleset in there + the Terror ships.

https://openxcommods.weebly.com/lukes-data.html

Look for "TEST_UFOS28082013" ....Let me know if you get that error again orf you find some MAP errors ( Or fix them for me and send me the data and i will update the set)