Author Topic: UFO Redux 0.8 released  (Read 13064 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Redux 0.8 released
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 06:37:57 pm »
So, I've done some playtesting and here are a few things that I've noticed/fixed for next version:
* Alien Interdiction can be chosen as a retaliation mission after a UFO is shot down. I had assumed that the code for automatic retaliation missions was set to generate only vanilla Alien Retaliation but it seems to randomly choose between any missions with an objective type 4. However, the alienRace present is still randomly chosen, so there's no chance of getting an Alien Interdiction on month 0 on your starting base with Muton Commanders and other nasty aliens. You'll still get an Overseer rather than a Battleship heading towards the base but since it's usually impossible to shoot the latter on the initial months, it doesn't really matter much there's an Overseer instead involved. For the moment I'll keep everything as it is, although it might be changed in the future if too many retaliation missions are getting generated.
* Mudranger capacity increased to 24 units by increasing its length. It's still not enough in case an Avenger is used but I don't think that might be too much of an issue. Increasing its length more starts making it a little weird and increasing the width would require some major sprite redesign.
* Improved HWPs TUs will be increased to Hovertank's values. It will also cost some alloys to manufacture them.

Now there are 2 new additions I'm considering:
* Add Combat Armor, between Alloy Vest and Personal Armor. This has to do with Gauss Weapons being added, since it created a new weapon tier (conventional, alloy, gauss, laser and plasma), while the armor tier remained at 4 (jumpsuit, vest, personal, power/fly suit). At the moment I'm feeling that Alloy Ammo lost a bit of usefulness due to Gauss and this might mitigate it.
* Add 2 to 3 new alien units. I already have some nice unit sprites, but I'm still considering how to integrate them with the rest of the alien races

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 11:14:35 pm »
* Add 2 to 3 new alien units. I already have some nice unit sprites, but I'm still considering how to integrate them with the rest of the alien races

You could use them for special mission ...

Only for brain storm,
I means that in a special sites with Alien activity such as
a Mu Jungle Temple (XOps)

you could found some strange alien experiment such as

from

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/mongorn-alien-race

It is only an example to explain the idea, better than my little english :-[

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:16:50 pm by davide »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 12:02:21 am »
You could use them for special mission ...

Only for brain storm,
I means that in a special sites with Alien activity such as
a Mu Jungle Temple (XOps)

you could found some strange alien experiment such as

from

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/mongorn-alien-race

It is only an example to explain the idea, better than my little english :-[

That's one idea, although I've just tried to remove as many unique missions as possible for 0.7. And I'm done with designing new terrains for a while. :)

These are the two units I want to add, the first one is a helmet recolor of the Academy Explorer from Piratez, since UFO lore includes 'spaceman' type aliens, the second is a recolor of Zane's Alternate Power Suit.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 12:44:58 am »
Since they are both "suited up aliens", they might be from the same faction? With the glowing eyes, the power suit looks like it could be the terror unit of the spacesuit.

Now we know that space is not simply the vast emptiness between far away, lifeless planets and barely visible stars. It makes one wonder about what may happen to the people who go out there. Accidents occur and astronauts have been witness to strange sights, but can we be sure this is all? Spacefarers are at the boundary between our civilisation and others, and some have been lost. Like we have done before to lifeforms we considered primitive, humans may well have been brought to be shown in faraway capitol worlds. Rumours of odd encounters with beings in spacesuits may now be seen in an entirely different light: as the first step of an infiltration attempt, by a society entirely alien to ours which thought this to be the raiment of our species. What kind of visitor hides in a stolen suit?

Much like the Church Beastmaster in Piratez, the spacesuit could turn into something else on death: whatever you decide is hiding in it. Maybe the suit wearer has glowy red eyes to fit with the power armor? To follow Zane's suggestion: A tortured human, host to an intelligent parasite. And when they realize they did not blend in, they strike, wearing tougher armor of their own design, intent on harvesting new bodies to take over, living or dead: alien can be encountered on research early on, then harvest and terror missions. Spacesuit version has little armor, but good damage modifier/hp since the main human body is not really its own so it doesn't care about damage. Power suit version has more armor, but similar stats otherwise. Maybe it contains enough parasites that, on a melee hit, it infects soldiers/civilians, turning them into the same "zombie" that the suits turns into on death.

It would create a unique gameplay experience, where you have to kill your enemies twice. First destroy the suit (easy for the space suit, hard for the power suit), then the parasite (same unit for both since they are the same "corpse-riders", same too for infected soldiers/civilians). And.. the parasite/abductor/corpse-rider vibe is rather nice and creepy. Add a vulnerability to fire (it is a plant-like parasite, and cooking the corpse is better at killing it than blowing off chunks) to make some unusual weapons shine, probably plasma as well, but not ap/gauss/laser/explosives.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 04:21:08 am »
Now we know that space is not simply the vast emptiness between far away, lifeless planets and barely visible stars. It makes one wonder about what may happen to the people who go out there. Accidents occur and astronauts have been witness to strange sights, but can we be sure this is all? Spacefarers are at the boundary between our civilisation and others, and some have been lost. Like we have done before to lifeforms we considered primitive, humans may well have been brought to be shown in faraway capitol worlds. Rumours of odd encounters with beings in spacesuits may now be seen in an entirely different light: as the first step of an infiltration attempt, by a society entirely alien to ours which thought this to be the raiment of our species. What kind of visitor hides in a stolen suit?

Is this yours or are you quoting from some other work/mod? 'Spacefarer' sounds better than 'Spaceman' :)

Much like the Church Beastmaster in Piratez, the spacesuit could turn into something else on death: whatever you decide is hiding in it. Maybe the suit wearer has glowy red eyes to fit with the power armor? To follow Zane's suggestion: A tortured human, host to an intelligent parasite. And when they realize they did not blend in, they strike, wearing tougher armor of their own design, intent on harvesting new bodies to take over, living or dead: alien can be encountered on research early on, then harvest and terror missions. Spacesuit version has little armor, but good damage modifier/hp since the main human body is not really its own so it doesn't care about damage. Power suit version has more armor, but similar stats otherwise. Maybe it contains enough parasites that, on a melee hit, it infects soldiers/civilians, turning them into the same "zombie" that the suits turns into on death.

It would create a unique gameplay experience, where you have to kill your enemies twice. First destroy the suit (easy for the space suit, hard for the power suit), then the parasite (same unit for both since they are the same "corpse-riders", same too for infected soldiers/civilians). And.. the parasite/abductor/corpse-rider vibe is rather nice and creepy. Add a vulnerability to fire (it is a plant-like parasite, and cooking the corpse is better at killing it than blowing off chunks) to make some unusual weapons shine, probably plasma as well, but not ap/gauss/laser/explosives.

This sounds nice but it would also require sprites for the 'zombie' :(

I have several ideas I'm considering for the Spacefarer and the 'Vineman' (Zane's version) or the 'Fire Ant' (red version):
* Spacefarer as a primary race with the Phaser/Stalker as its terrorists, starts appearing around April
* Spacefarer with a new terrorist unit (Vineman?), starts appearing around January
* Fire Ant or Vineman as a primary race, something else as terrorist

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 05:05:10 am »
All my ideas ;) The space suit thing inspired me and I was bored at work. It's much nicer to write XCom fluff than a scientific paper...

It all depends on what you want. It seemed like you were trying to use the Spacefarer and Vineman as you liked the sprites and space suit idea. So the easiest solution is to pair them together as the regular dudes/terror unit of a new alien race, instead of changing other things that you already have working, or needing even more new units.

The idea of aliens wearing human spacesuits + Zane's idea of a parasite in human hosts wearing some kind of suit merged into the corpse-rider race, spacefarer wearing imitations of our space suits and a terror unit who would be the same being but in a different, more powerful suit built by aliens. You'd need a different name for the terror unit if using this idea though, as it is technically the same being in a different suit. Maybe spore bearer? As in the one who carries the spores to spread the vine infection (since zombification would be a skill of the terror unit only). Then the being inside the suit could be the vineman.

I'd say a mix of the original XCom and TftD zombies could provide something good for the zombie unit. The "alien you have to kill twice" is a cool mechanic I enjoyed in Piratez (it makes an alien tougher because you can't just apply extreme force once, which is easy, you have to apply sufficient force twice) and it seemed to work with the idea of a plant-infested body.

Offline Zane

• Sergeant
  • sorry about my english
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 03:11:11 pm »
This idea looks good

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »
* Mudranger capacity increased to 24 units by increasing its length. It's still not enough in case an Avenger is used but I don't think that might be too much of an issue. Increasing its length more starts making it a little weird and increasing the width would require some major sprite redesign.

How about fitting TWO 14-troop Mudrangers abreast on a 20x10 mapblock, as a single craft? That's 28 spaces, more than an Avenger carries :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 04:28:35 pm »
How about fitting TWO 14-troop Mudrangers abreast on a 20x10 mapblock, as a single craft? That's 28 spaces, more than an Avenger carries :)

Too big. The Mudranger has a length of 10 but need 2 additional rows at its back to enable a HWP to move out of the APC.

But I don't think there should be an issue: the expanded Mudranger has 24 spots for exit but it has 26 spots for spawning units. If you win the battle the exit spots don't matter, while if you decide to evacuate you'll most likely have suffered some losses at that point.

Offline Jo5hua

• Colonel
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 05:30:26 pm »
Just notified of the download issue yesterday on IRC via hellrazor. Checking it now

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:08 pm »
Regarding the space aliens: weren't they called Aerials in X-Com Interceptor? (Apparently they're not very good at ground combat.)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Regarding the space aliens: weren't they called Aerials in X-Com Interceptor? (Apparently they're not very good at ground combat.)

Their name is Aereons, but the Spacefarer has no relation to them. Here's a pic of them on Interceptor.

Just notified of the download issue yesterday on IRC via hellrazor. Checking it now

Pics are also affected, they are uploaded but afterwards they can't be visualized. I also noticed at least one mod that had issues with the whole page.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:53:05 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »
Updated first post link to version 0.8c, it does not include anything new, only the fixes described on an earlier post.

Here's the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18824603/UFO%20REDUX%20v0.8c.zip

Offline begri

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »
YY 18 CTD with Android on pc it is good. The ufo seats don't want to demolished with granade

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 08:16:54 pm »
YY 18 CTD with Android on pc it is good. The ufo seats don't want to demolished with granade

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

UFO seats on Complex YY-18? What do you mean or can you post a pic?