Author Topic: UFO Redux 0.8 released  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
UFO Redux 0.8 released
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:30:44 am »
New version available at the mod portal

Download link Version 0.8g

Version 0.8 should introduce the last major changes, and there are quite a few new things, specially terrains :)

First, the pic above is of Complex, an entirely new terrain that will appear right on January and that can reappear later during the campaign. The whole mission structure has also been changed (and simplified), check sticky post about Info for details.

List of changes
* Reduced Sectopd and Cyberdisc vulnerability to incendiary ammo from 100 to 50 to reduce exploit.
* Several bug fixes: Terrain Pack, Geoscape, missing images, etc.
* Removed changes to Hypewave Decoder and Laser/Plasma Cannons and Fusion Ball Launcher, restoring the vanilla stats.
* New terrains added: Desert Plane, Polar Plane, Tundra Plane, Tundra Forest, Tundra Forest Mountain, Tundra Polar, Taiga Polar, Grassland Polar, Savanna Polar, Steppe Polar, Siberia, Complex YY-18, Alien Hive, Alien Colony and Storm Mountain.
* Reworked alien missions: new terrains have been split between Alien Facility Attack and Alien Subversion Overseer UFO missions. Alien Facility Attacks now consist of recovering/defending allied facility, while on Alien Subversion player attacks hostile facilities. Capturing Thin Men, Human Agents or recovering Data Disk 4 are no longer required to activate missions.
* Overseer flights now trigger 3 types of mission: Alien Facility Attack (month 1 onwards), Alien Interdiction (after month 6), and Alien Flyby/Subversion (month 1 onwards).
* Reworked alien missions: reduced several special mission map sizes to either 60x60 or 80x40 and reduced alien numbers on all the new missions to terror site equivalents.
* Reworked alien missions: added Outpost Defense, Facility Recover and Airfield Attack deployments.
* Reworked alien races: added Human crews for some of the Alien Subversion missions. Reworked race distribution in alien missions for more diversity and balance. Set all alienRaces to 12 ranks, regardless of if the additional ranks are used or not.
* Reworked alien missions: Area 51 mission moved to April for balance. Capture mission moved to January and terrain set to Complex. 
* Reworked Overseer UFO: all Overseer missions are now stopped by interrogating an Ethereal Commander. The previous requirement for Data Disk 5 and 6 have been removed.
* Rewrote and organized News Items entries.
* Added Liner Ship to Docked Ship mission.
* Modified Machine Pistol's stats to reduce its utility versus the LMG.

And this basically completes what I had planned, so for now it's testing and fine tuning everything :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:01:04 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: UFO Redux 0.8 released
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:54 am »
Congratz on the major milestone! Now I need to update all the maps... :)
EDIT: the DL link appears to not work for me :/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:58:01 am by Dioxine »

Offline Impaler

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:57:03 am »
Can confirm download is broken.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »
And I can't get it to work no matter what I do.

Here's an alternate download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18824603/UFO%20REDUX%20v0.8.zip

Congratz on the major milestone! Now I need to update all the maps... :)

Many of the new terrains were designed for Redux so they won't appear on the Terrain Pack. Those maps usually have alternate starting locations, such as the Mudranger or exit areas and they won't work with the regular craft.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:08:35 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »
Yesterday I tried updating Final Mod Pack and had no luck. I'm starting to consider a new permanent place for OXC mods... We'll see how it goes, but we should be prepared for moving.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
Yesterday I tried updating Final Mod Pack and had no luck. I'm starting to consider a new permanent place for OXC mods... We'll see how it goes, but we should be prepared for moving.

Has anyone notified JoShua about these issues?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »
Has anyone notified JoShua about these issues?

Not this time. But there have been similar problems for months (like non-working links) and nothing was improved.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:37:55 pm »
Not this time. But there have been similar problems for months (like non-working links) and nothing was improved.

Well the no working links, is becausehe doesn't give you the direct link towards the file, but a random generated one, which links.
If that one contains a "+" it won't work, usually you could exclude "+" or any signs which give trouble, from the generating charlist with a simple regex....

The modportal is based upon a lets say this nicely shitty content managent system.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »
Nah, I know about the '+' issue but it's something else this time... And yeah CMS is shiny and glittery but no CMS beats HTTP/PHP when it comes to stability and speed :/

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 12:32:01 pm »
Nah, I know about the '+' issue but it's something else this time... And yeah CMS is shiny and glittery but no CMS beats HTTP/PHP when it comes to stability and speed :/

You also forgot adaptability. I know that programming a helpdesk ticket system for a small firm. CMS sucks balls.

niculinux

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 03:00:07 pm »
And this basically completes what I had planned, so for now it's testing and fine tuning everything :)

Good! Hope  to see/hear you in a 0.8 let's play on youtube and/or engaging new projects!! I'd prefer the former though!! <3

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:17:45 am »
Links uploaded to version 0.8a, contains a few fixes.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:29:23 pm »
Btw I have to say it, the new (0.8) maps look awesome (and there are so many of them!). Took me whole Sunday to update my mod and rescript some maps to 60x60 Terrors and replace Mudrangers with landings (btw, great touch with using Mudrangers for maps where landing would make little sense! But how do you solve the crew size issue? The Mudranger only carries 14 people... What if the player uses an Avenger?). I didn't use any of the most awesome maps like Storm Mountain or Hive, though, I don't have missions that are good enough for these maps (yet) :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 03:38:28 pm »
Btw I have to say it, the new (0.8) maps look awesome (and there are so many of them!). Took me whole Sunday to update my mod and rescript some maps to 60x60 Terrors and replace Mudrangers with landings (btw, great touch with using Mudrangers for maps where landing would make little sense! But how do you solve the crew size issue? The Mudranger only carries 14 people... What if the player uses an Avenger?). I didn't use any of the most awesome maps like Storm Mountain or Hive, though, I don't have missions that are good enough for these maps (yet) :)

There's 2 scripted missions that appear on the early game, so it won't be a problem with anything larger than a Skyranger. As for the late game and Avengers I still haven't made my mind about how to enlarge the Mudranger but that's how I should fix it.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 06:33:34 pm »
Links uploaded to version 0.8a, contains a few fixes.

Hobbes,
the players also need to edit their savegame files, to avoid any further occurance of Terrormissions being generated with missionSiteZone: -1, which leads towards
a CTD if a Terrorship tries to spawn a Terrorsite, when the Mission has missionSiteZone: -1.

I described a way to safely edit the savegame file in my own thread here.
Just to mention it, or people will eventually experience a CTD on their currently running campeign which was upgraded to UFO Redux Version 0.8b.