aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434236 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #795 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »
Ah, okay.  I was looking it up in the ruleset for making an updated ranged weapons table on https://ufopaedia.org, and I didn't look up what the string was in Piratez_lang.rul.  I was categorizing it as a bow for its fixed TU cost and the fact that it used energy to fire.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27:46 pm »
Crashes on Commendations:
1. soldier Copper Tombstone
2. medal STR_MEDAL_BETRAYER_NAME
NULL pointer exception, when trying to get some info about a weapon with empty name. See attached.

No idea how to fix it, I would have to study the Commendations code... and that would take me a lot of time... probably better to report to Shoes.

EDIT: I can make a quick fix, so that it doesn't crash... by just skipping such cases, but I don't know if that is a proper fix or just a workaround...

Gah! Will report to Shoes. I'll also try to remove her feats from the save one by one to see if I can get rid of it. And maybe find if it's a weapon I haven't used before that's causing the issue. Thanks!

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »
Gah! Will report to Shoes. I'll also try to remove her feats from the save one by one to see if I can get rid of it. And maybe find if it's a weapon I haven't used before that's causing the issue. Thanks!

I am unfamiliar with Piratez stuff, but just looking at the crash, it seems the weapon used had "no ammo". Is that the case? Do melee weapons have any sort of ammo? Does this bug occur with a certain class of weapons, or just one weapon? Does that weapon have some unique feature?

I'm supposed to be busy, but maybe I'll reinstall some stuff :3

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 04, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »
She is a gal who uses a weapon with infinite ammo, yes (Smasher: STR_LASER_PISTOL), which Piratez has modified into some kind of laser shotgun. It is my first deployment of these guns, so maybe that's it?

I do use other weapons with unlimited ammo though (Zappers: STR_ZAP_GUN for instance), and plenty of melee weapons, none of which ever gave me issues.

I'm just about to start testing with removing her feats, I'll start with those that are related to that weapon.

Edit: I just looked into the save and she has a "kill" with:
Code: [Select]
            weapon: ""
            weaponAmmo: ""

No idea how she got that, but I'll keep an eye open for it in the future. Maybe something like stunning someone who was standing in a fire, who then died from the fire? I think OXCE handles stunned units differently from vanilla, maybe that's it?

Edit2: Indeed, filling up those fields (I just put STR_SHIELD_AUX) made everything work again. The gal got the award for killing people using stun damage, so it does seem like it's one of those weird situations. Maybe it's not good to let people burn after they passed out..

Note: the victim would have been killed by environmental fire while stunned. I first threw a molotov as I was approaching, then stunned it on the next turn while it was standing in the fire (can't tell if it was on fire, that's hard to see for units standing in fire) and left the stunned unit there in the fire.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:15:56 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 04, 2016, 11:27:57 pm »
I am unfamiliar with Piratez stuff, but just looking at the crash, it seems the weapon used had "no ammo". Is that the case? Do melee weapons have any sort of ammo? Does this bug occur with a certain class of weapons, or just one weapon? Does that weapon have some unique feature?

I'm supposed to be busy, but maybe I'll reinstall some stuff :3
This could be too:
a) merge bug unique only to Extended version, or simply some assumption do not hold in OXCE because it too much diverge.
b) bug fixed already in master but not jet merged.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:14 pm »
Stumbled over here from the Soldier Diaries thread. Haven't played Piratez so don't know the ins and outs, but I'll mention that there was a bug in vanilla a while back that would cause a crash if you knocked someone unconscious using a melee attack with a gun with no ammo. It happened to me when using an unloaded gun and the gun melee mod on. Here is the thread I started on it and it was fixed in the master: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4602.msg64306.html#msg64306

Could be related, or maybe not at all.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:47 am »
Here is the code that decides murder weapons: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Battlescape/BattlescapeGame.cpp#L548

It's odd for there to be no weapon name or ammo name, as there are temp names given. Are those strings present in Piratez?

Here is the code that determines fire related deaths: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Battlescape/BattlescapeGame.cpp#L611

All it does is assign the kill credit to the last person who damaged the victim. Does this provide any leads?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 05, 2016, 07:07:55 am »
Edit: I just looked into the save and she has a "kill" with:
Code: [Select]
            weapon: ""
            weaponAmmo: ""

No idea how she got that, but I'll keep an eye open for it in the future. Maybe something like stunning someone who was standing in a fire, who then died from the fire? I think OXCE handles stunned units differently from vanilla, maybe that's it?

Edit2: Indeed, filling up those fields (I just put STR_SHIELD_AUX) made everything work again. The gal got the award for killing people using stun damage, so it does seem like it's one of those weird situations. Maybe it's not good to let people burn after they passed out..

Unfortunately this fix did not work for me.

That said, there are many blank MurdererWeapon, MurdererAmmo fields in my save.

EDIT: Filling in _all_ the blank instances of MurdererWeapon and MurdererAmmo fixed the issue; there were approximately 30 of them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:15:10 am by Surrealistik »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #803 on: August 05, 2016, 07:22:48 am »
If you would like to try, you can clear all of the soldier diaries records.
Crtl-D (in Geoscape puts you in Debug mode).
Ctrl-A - clear all records.
Crtl-D (leave debug mode).

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 05, 2016, 07:36:00 am »
You might need to set Debug to true before Ctrl-d does anything though

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 05, 2016, 08:10:23 am »
Unfortunately this fix did not work for me.

That said, there are many blank MurdererWeapon, MurdererAmmo fields in my save.

EDIT: Filling in _all_ the blank instances of MurdererWeapon and MurdererAmmo fixed the issue; there were approximately 30 of them.
I'm glad it ended up working! Out of curiosity, how did you kill those 30 people?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:55 am »
I'm glad it ended up working! Out of curiosity, how did you kill those 30 people?

Mostly grenade spam, lol.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 05, 2016, 10:56:44 am »
Speaking of, there's an annoying glitch where AoE damage that's totally blocked by the Pachyderm walls for the gals fails to protect the gear that's on the ground for some reason.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #808 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
It's odd for there to be no weapon name or ammo name, as there are temp names given. Are those strings present in Piratez?

Commendation do not seem to count gun melee and delayed deaths properly. Gun melee is treated like DT_NONE, while delayed deaths caused by bleeding and fire are counted as unknown type of damage (and probably unknown weapon too).

Also, the commendations for wound healing do not work; ditto BT_GRENADE, BT_PROXIMITYGRENADE since they do not explode on player's turn (might be caused by changes introduced by OXCE).

ALSO! OXCE introduces owner-less items that can kill (timed explosives on the map, for example). Commendations probably do not know what to do with it. This might be the real cause of the crash.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:33:33 pm by Dioxine »

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 05, 2016, 05:36:55 pm »
I've entered the wonderful world of crashes-on-mission-completition.

After subduing the magical girl on a pink ship mission completes and game crashes, creating a dump, saying that it generated an openxcom.log file and asking me to send it to developers. I have absolutely no idea what forces the game to crash (first pink ship mission went without any trouble), but here you go. Save, log file and dump attached in an archive.